Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Support > Website Support Forum

Why is this forum so SLOW?

this is a discussion within the Website Support Forum Community Forum; I've participated in many forums. I started building them back in 96 using cgi and perl scripts. Wow things have come a long way. Why is this forum so slow? Is it hosted using squirrels in a cage? This place ...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 05:51 AM   #1
1000 Posts +

Why is this forum so SLOW?

I've participated in many forums. I started building them back in 96 using cgi and perl scripts. Wow things have come a long way.

Why is this forum so slow? Is it hosted using squirrels in a cage?

This place is like molasses. Rehost it, already. Goodness gracious.

I have a fast connection. Other forums are fast as lightning, just NOT this one.

Maybe if you got rid of all the useless emoticons and bells and whistles it wouldn't be slower than Christmas.

For the most part, the only people who'll miss emoticons are newbies, after all.

Apportez le bois. Deux cela. Qui est celui?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Problem?

Welcome To SaintsReport.com Est. 1997 - SaintsReport.com

Saints Revolution

WhoDatZone › New Orleans Saints Blog, Forum and WhoDat Nation

Feel free to give those a try.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
1000 Posts +

That isn't a solution, professor.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
Problem?

I don't see how its not. You wouldn't have to worry about the server being so "slow" if you don't frequent this site anymore.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
+Mod

I'll take a more civil crack at it, This site has been getting a huge traffic of visitors lately, before hand it has always sat under other saints forums now its the top ranking one and now it's experiencing server high load times especially during peak times (Gameday) it happens on most sites, i remember being on the Saintreport site and the server would get so bogged down that it would cease working at all and give an error, i haven't seen such an error with this site yet but i feel it coming..
I can assure you Halo is working on a solution to the slow server loading, the problem could be with the heavy graphics, icon's and back-end security layers but im sure it has more to do with the host rather than how feature packed the SEO is..
The Successful growth is a benchmark for this site so give us time to grow with the flow great things are definitely coming soon i can't go in-depth just yet of the changes but you will see some major changes soon believe it.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #6

LONG LIVE BNG!!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:38 AM   #7
In Doh We Trust

It works great for me I have not had any problems.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
Site Donor MONTHLY

Possible issues you may have experienced

Originally Posted by Choupique View Post
I've participated in many forums. I started building them back in 96 using cgi and perl scripts. Wow things have come a long way.

Why is this forum so slow? Is it hosted using squirrels in a cage?

This place is like molasses. Rehost it, already. Goodness gracious.

I have a fast connection. Other forums are fast as lightning, just NOT this one.

Maybe if you got rid of all the useless emoticons and bells and whistles it wouldn't be slower than Christmas.

For the most part, the only people who'll miss emoticons are newbies, after all.

2 Things may be the issue you are experiencing

1) The site uses Google ads to generate revenue to help pay the bills for hosting and bandwidth use. If your browser uses ANY ad blocking software or plugins including: AdBlock Plus, NoAds etc. then you may not see adsense targeted ads, but you will probably see extended load times.

Recommend you allow BlackandGold.com to show ads and place the site on your "White list" because our ads are minimally invasive at worst.

2) There were 2 external Fan networks we belonged to that counted hits and ranked us with other NFL fan sites etc. etc. One of the external networks was having a lot of server timeouts recently to its own network server. So we had a banner in the footer to the network and it wasn't loading causing overall page load issues- occasionally.

This was causing us a headache and I decided to remove this Affiliate as they were benefiting more than we were.

I would point my finger at either of these, but most recently #2 may have impacted some surfing load times.

This site is designed mostly with CSS and loads very few images per page. "Smiles" have nominal if any impact on page load. Also the server is a modern 4 processor quad core system with 8 GB's of RAM at a collocation facility in Dallas TX on the PNAP internet backbone with 2 backup DNS servers. The pipe into the colo facility and to our hosting company is relatively huge. We have very few, if anyone, who complains about the site being "slow" therefore I would also recommend you check your home high speed connection.

Hope this his helpful.

Like blackandgold.com on facebook follow us on Twitter

Last edited by Halo; 09-12-2010 at 04:56 PM..
Old 09-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #9

LOL ... TMI for most folks!

Originally Posted by Halo View Post
2 Things may be the issue you are experiencing

1) The site uses Google ads to generate revenue to help pay the bills for hosting and bandwidth use. If your browser uses ANY ad blocking software or plugins including: AdBlock Plus, NoAds etc. then you may not see adsense targeted ads, but you will probably see extended load times.

Recommend you allow BlackandGold.com to show ads and place the site on your "White list" because our ads are minimally invasive at worst.

2) There were 2 external Fan networks we belonged to that counted hits and ranked us with other NFL fan sites etc. etc. One of the external networks was having a lot of server timeouts recently to its own network server. So we had a banner in the footer to the network and it wasn't loading causing overall page load issues- occasionally.

This was causing us a headache and I decided to remove this Affiliate as they were benefiting more than we were.

I would point my finger at either of these, but most recently #2 may have impacted some surfing load times.

This site is designed mostly with CSS and loads very few images per page. "Smiles" have nominal if any impact on page load. Also the server is a modern 4 processor quad core system with 8 GB's of RAM at a collocation facility in Dallas TX on the PNAP internet backbone with 2 backup DNS servers. The pipe into the colo facility and to our hosting company is relatively huge. We have very few, if anyone, who complains about the site being "slow" therefore I would also recommend you check your home high speed connection.

Hope this his helpful.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
E. Side Cholo

Just remember, when Houston TV wanted a story on the prevalence of Saints fans in SE TX, did they call Site-X?

No, they went to blackandgold.com, the place for Saints news, chat, and online tailgating.

Oh yeah, and one more thing:
Closed Thread