New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com (https://blackandgold.com/forums.php)
-   Saints (https://blackandgold.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Belichick fined $500K by NFL for taping Jets' signals (https://blackandgold.com/showthread.php?t=17506)

blacksaint 09-13-2007 08:51 PM

Belichick fined $500K by NFL for taping Jets' signals

Updated: September 13, 2007, 8:53 PM ET

NEW YORK -- New England coach Bill Belichick was fined the NFL maximum of $500,000 Thursday and the Patriots were ordered to pay $250,000 for videotaping an opponent's offensive and defensive signals.

Commissioner Roger Goodell also ordered the team to give up next year's first-round draft choice if it reaches the playoffs and second- and third-round picks if it doesn't.

"This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field," Goodell said in a letter to the Patriots.

NFL policy states that "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game" and that all video shooting locations for club coaching purposes "must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

ESPN - Belichick fined $500K for taping Jets' signals - NFL

"Man I was watching the West Virginia vs. Maryland game when they broke the news. OOOOUUUUCCCHHHH! So that's what it feels like when your hand get caught in the cookie jar. That's good for them, cheating is cheating no matter how you slice it."

Turbo Saint 09-13-2007 09:09 PM

Re: Belichick fined $500K by NFL for taping Jets' signals

ahhh serves em right.

ScottF 09-13-2007 09:25 PM

Small price to pay if it won them a few games, and maybe even a Super Bowl

Ashley 09-13-2007 09:26 PM

What A Jackass.

blacksaint 09-13-2007 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksaint (Post 138848)
Updated: September 13, 2007, 8:53 PM ET

NEW YORK -- New England coach Bill Belichick was fined the NFL maximum of $500,000 Thursday and the Patriots were ordered to pay $250,000 for videotaping an opponent's offensive and defensive signals.

Commissioner Roger Goodell also ordered the team to give up next year's first-round draft choice if it reaches the playoffs and second- and third-round picks if it doesn't.

"This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field," Goodell said in a letter to the Patriots.

NFL policy states that "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game" and that all video shooting locations for club coaching purposes "must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

ESPN - Belichick fined $500K for taping Jets' signals - NFL

"Man I was watching the West Virginia vs. Maryland game when they broke the news. OOOOUUUUCCCHHHH! So that's what it feels like when your hand get caught in the cookie jar. That's good for them, cheating is cheating no matter how you slice it."

This is just a few Quote's from around the league on Belichick and his hustling skills. I'm wondering how much is coaching skills and how much is cheating. You have to admit, the play calling in the Superbowl against the Eagles was incredibly genius. Hmmmmmm.
Quote:

PHILADELPHIA -- Sheldon Brown and the Eagles hoped a blitz would rattle Tom Brady.

One problem: Every time the Eagles rushed Brady in the Super Bowl, the Patriots nullified the defensive attack with screen passes. Lots of them. On almost every play defensive coordinator Jim Johnson called for a blitz, the Patriots used the short pass to confuse the Eagles.

After the Patriots beat the Eagles 24-21 in 2005 to win the Lombardi Trophy, Brown thought the Patriots beat them with nothing but sharp offensive playcalling. Now, he's not so sure.
Quote:

Pro Bowl safety Brian Dawkins found the accusations troublesome.

"Now there's always going to be questions about the situation," Dawkins said Thursday. "Was it great adjustments at halftime or what?"
Quote:

Pittsburgh wide receiver Hines Ward said this week that he suspected the Patriots had some type of inside information on the Steelers before at least one of the teams' two AFC championship game matchups since the 2001 season. While Ward said the Patriots knew a lot of Pittsburgh's calls, none of the Eagles could offer any type of solid proof of any shenanigans.
Quote:

"Hopefully there's a harsh enough penalty that it's not worth it to try to cheat and try to get any advantage that you're not allowed to get. I hope the commissioner is just as harsh on them as he's been on individual players for making mistakes."
-- Carson Palmer, Cincinnati Bengals quarterback
Quote:

"When you look back, it's scary. I think highly of their coaching staff and their personnel, but if that's the case, that's not right. I would consider it cheating."
-- Al Harris, Green Bay Packers cornerback
Quote:

"I think the Patriots actually live by the saying, 'If you're not cheating, you're not trying.' They live off that statement. Nothing surprises me really.

"You keep hearing the different stories about stuff that they do."
-- LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego Chargers running back
Quote:

"What the league has to do now is monitor the number of people on the sidelines who operate cameras. I bet a few people disappear this weekend."
-- Carl Banks, former New York Giants linebacker
ESPN - Some Eagles question Pats' tactics in Super Bowl - NFL

QBREES9 09-14-2007 10:51 AM

don't do the crime, if you can do the time.

iceshack149 09-14-2007 12:31 PM

And Belichik remains smug. What a punk.
Quote:

"Hopefully there's a harsh enough penalty that it's not worth it to try to cheat and try to get any advantage that you're not allowed to get. I hope the commissioner is just as harsh on them as he's been on individual players for making mistakes."
-- Carson Palmer, Cincinnati Bengals quarterback
This quote struck me funny. Palmer should know.

papz 09-14-2007 12:41 PM

3 Superbowl rings for a fine and a lost draft pick... well worth it for the Pats.

I still like the Pats.

I'm sure they're not the only team out there doing this sort of stuff... just maybe not as extreme. They're just the only ones who got caught and made an example out of.

cadilacin 09-14-2007 01:31 PM

So What!

Everything is on film these days anyway. Sometimes while watching the game on TV they'll show the D-cord making signals to the defense. So if these calls are so secret give the defensive coaches head sets.

And people been stealing signals for years thats why every O-cord and/or head coach in this league cover their mouths when they call plays.

Get over it! They were fined. Lets move on.

I guess those tapes had something to do with Donavan McNabb getting so tired in the SuperBowl that he couldn't call the play. Or had something to do with that last pick he through. I DOUBT IT.

I guess the tapes also had something to do with the blueprint that Bill gave the rest of the 3-4 defensive teams on how to frustrate Peyton Manning. PROBABLY NOT!

Losers always hate on winners.

Bring on TAMPA!!

The pats game plan, and draft well. This is the organization I wish the Saints were like.

Tobias-Reiper 09-14-2007 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papz (Post 138902)
3 Superbowl rings for a fine and a lost draft pick... well worth it for the Pats.

I still like the Pats.

I'm sure they're not the only team out there doing this sort of stuff... just maybe not as extreme. They're just the only ones who got caught and made an example out of.

... well, one thing is to cheat your way to 3 SB's, another is to get caught...
... and, the thing is, they just didn't "get caught"... there's a history, and the Pats had been warned to stop doing it. The monetary penalty as well as the draft pick may be 'a small price", but not the label of "cheater", which pretty much makes that "dynasty" talk crumble.

patdog 09-14-2007 01:57 PM

Not enough, u do know the Pat's have 2 first round picks next year. So taking 1 of them only helps them with dealing with trying to pay 2 first rounders. And do you really think a dollar of that $500K will come from Belichick wallet? If anybody do, growup.

papz 09-14-2007 02:06 PM

I think the penalty is harsh enough already. What else do people want? Strip their Superbowl titles? They committed a crime... and dealing with the consequences.

Quote:

So taking 1 of them only helps them with dealing with trying to pay 2 first rounders.
That's because they're a deep team and made smart moves during last year's draft.

They're still a very good team with a smart coach, great quarterback, and players at every skill position. With or without stealing signals, they'll have no problem winning games this year. And should they win a Superbowl this year, it'll quiet all this talk.

ssmitty 09-14-2007 03:04 PM

none the less, it does put a blemish on their accomplishments in my mind...
sort of like an asterisk at the beginning of a record......
he should have been suspended for so many games to say the least.....
a slap on the hand will not stop this, only open the doors for new ideas
how to keep it going.....
the commish blew this one................
he had a chance to make people think twice about doing this
and now they'll continue to think it'll be a fine and draft pick....
would you take a superbowl over a fine a draft pick?

CheramieIII 09-14-2007 03:23 PM

and you know they've been doing it forever. Now we'll never know if Bellichick is really good or not. He wasn't crap until he started cheating and that was when he became head coach of the Patriots. What a freaking shame. They should put this guy in the cell with Convick.

We'll see how good Brady and the Patriots really are now. It will take a little time for all of the teams to change up for the Patriots since they already have alot of film (cheaters).

CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS,
CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, cHEATERS,

What a bunch of losers and you know the entire team knew about it.

papz 09-14-2007 03:45 PM

So if you feel like that about Belichick... how do you feel about the players who play under him and all of his assistants who are now coaches in the NFL and college? I mean you associated Brady right away with this... so I would assume you would feel the same way about everyone who's been a Patriot during his coaching regime.

I think it's sad that Mangini is the one who ratted him out. If it weren't for Belichick, Mangini would not have the impressive resume that he has now. He would not be a head coach in this league and would still be just a secondary coach. He himself has also been a part of this for years. If he was so self righteous, he should have said something years ago.

ssmitty 09-14-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papz (Post 138916)
So if you feel like that about Belichick... how do you feel about the players who play under him and all of his assistants who are now coaches in the NFL and college? I mean you associated Brady right away with this... so I would assume you would feel the same way about everyone who's been a Patriot during his coaching regime.

I think it's sad that Mangini is the one who ratted him out. If it weren't for Belichick, Mangini would not have the impressive resume that he has now. He would not be a head coach in this league and would still be just a secondary coach. He himself has also been a part of this for years. If he was so self righteous, he should have said something years ago.

a case of the pot calling the kettle black.........(mangini-belichick)
well, we certainly could put an end to questions about who knew anything with a lie detector test.
any takers, come on, be a patriot............smitty
all leagues tollerate many things, but cheating? it's un-american...............

CheramieIII 09-14-2007 06:02 PM

Hence the word: CHEATERS! If I thought just Belichick was a cheater I would have said: CHEATER and I only called out a couple of names because I didn't feel like typing:

52 Alexander, Eric LB 6-2 240 2/8/82 3 LSU
23 Andrews, Willie CB 5-10 190 11/2/83 2 Baylor
32 Baker, Rashad S 5-10 198 2/22/82 4 Tennessee
88 Brady, Kyle TE 6-6 280 1/14/72 13 Penn State
12 Brady, Tom QB 6-4 225 8/3/77 8 Michigan
65 Britt, Wesley T 6-8 320 11/21/81 2 Alabama
98 Brown, Chad LB 6-2 245 7/12/70 15 Colorado
95 Brown, Kareem DT 6-4 295 1/30/84 R Miami (FL)
54 Bruschi, Tedy LB 6-1 247 6/9/73 12 Arizona
16 Cassel, Matt QB 6-4 230 5/17/82 3 USC
59 Colvin, Rosevelt LB 6-3 250 9/5/77 9 Purdue
44 Evans, Heath RB 6-0 250 12/30/78 7 Auburn
33 Faulk, Kevin RB 5-8 202 6/5/76 9 LSU
10 Gaffney, Jabar WR 6-1 200 12/1/80 6 Florida
21 Gay, Randall CB 5-11 190 5/5/82 4 LSU
3 Gostkowski, Stephen K 6-1 210 1/28/84 2 Memphis
97 Green, Jarvis DE 6-3 285 1/12/79 6 LSU
7 Gutierrez, Matt QB 6-4 230 6/9/84 R Idaho State
6 Hanson, Chris P 6-2 202 10/25/76 7 Marshall
27 Hobbs, Ellis CB 5-9 195 5/16/83 3 Iowa State
71 Hochstein, Russ G 6-4 305 10/7/77 6 Nebraska
53 Izzo, Larry LB 5-10 228 9/26/74 12 Rice
77 Kaczur, Nick T 6-4 315 7/28/79 3 Toledo
67 Koppen, Dan C 6-2 296 9/12/79 5 Boston College
72 Light, Matt T 6-4 305 6/23/78 7 Purdue
70 Mankins, Logan G 6-4 310 3/10/82 3 Fresno State
39 Maroney, Laurence RB 5-11 220 2/5/85 2 Minnesota
46 Mays, Corey LB 6-1 245 11/27/83 2 Notre Dame
31 Meriweather, Brandon S 5-11 200 1/14/84 R Miami (FL)
24 Mitchell, Mel S 6-1 225 2/10/79 6 Western Kentucky
34 Morris, Sammy RB 6-0 220 3/23/77 8 Texas Tech
81 Moss, Randy WR 6-4 210 2/13/77 10 Marshall
61 Neal, Stephen G 6-4 305 10/9/76 6 Cal State Bakersfield
68 O'Callaghan, Ryan T 6-7 330 7/19/83 2 California
66 Paxton, Lonie C 6-2 260 3/13/78 8 Sacramento State
22 Samuel, Asante CB 5-10 185 1/6/81 5 UCF
36 Sanders, James S 5-10 210 11/11/83 3 Fresno State
55 Seau, Junior LB 6-3 250 1/19/69 18 USC
90 Smith, Le Kevin DT 6-1 308 7/21/82 2 Nebraska
18 Stallworth, Donte' WR 6-0 200 11/10/80 6 Tennessee
96 Thomas, Adalius LB 6-2 270 8/18/77 8 Southern Miss
86 Thomas, David TE 6-3 248 7/5/83 2 Texas
92 Thomas, Santonio DT 6-4 305 7/2/81 1 Miami (FL)
50 Vrabel, Mike LB 6-4 261 8/14/75 11 Ohio State
94 Warren, Ty DT 6-5 300 2/6/81 5 Texas A&M
15 Washington, Kelley WR 6-3 215 8/21/79 5 Tennessee
84 Watson, Benjamin TE 6-3 255 12/18/80 4 Georgia
83 Welker, Wes WR 5-9 185 5/1/81 4 Texas Tech
75 Wilfork, Vince DT 6-2 325 11/4/81 4 Miami (FL)
26 Wilson, Eugene S 5-10 195 8/17/80 5 Illinois
58 Woods, Pierre LB 6-5 250 1/6/82 2 Michigan
99 Wright, Mike DT 6-4 295 3/1/82 3 Cincinnati
74 Yates, Billy G 6-2 305 4/15/80 4 Texas A&M

Injured Reserve
No. Player Pos Ht Wt DOB Exp College
Hairston, Justise RB 6-1 210 6/27/83 R Central Connecticut State
49 Lua, Oscar LB 6-0 238 5/9/84 R USC
35 Richardson, Mike CB 5-11 190 2/18/84 R Notre Dame
30 Scott, Chad CB 6-1 205 9/6/74 11 Maryland

and these guys are cheaters too and anyone who has ever played or coached for Belichick in New England is a CHEATER.

Yes all of them are CHEATERS, I was just trying to save some time and site space.

blacksaint 09-14-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS
I couldn't have said it better myself Cheramie. It's kind of funny how people point fingers at the players who take illegal substances as CHEATERS and want them removed from the game forever. But it's OK for Belichick and the Pats because they won 3 Superbowls, well I'm skeptical now to how they actually achieved the feat. My personal opinion is simply F-BOMB Bill Belichick, because when he was giving a chance to apologize to the fans, he totally ignored the reporter smiled and said he's here to talk about the Chargers and that's it, what a DUMB ASS! I have no respect for him and now that I think about it, he should have been suspended for 2 to 4 games, if he was a player he would've been gone for probably the whole year. Yo Goodall, ya' kind of drop the ball on this one. I know the Kraft's are thanking God this is not Formula 1 racing, I heard that the team that was caught spying on the ferrari racing team was fined $100 million bucks, now that's laying down the LAW. To all you folks out there who think what Belichick did is OK and what player's do is wrong, you're nothing but a hypocrite plain and simple.x(

CheramieIII 09-14-2007 06:14 PM

YouTube - Shady Brady and Bill Belicheat

Shady Brady and Bill Belicheat. LMAO.

CheramieIII 09-14-2007 06:41 PM

Join the protest against the CHEATERS!

Everyone,

I have written e-mails to about 50 different news agencies, the NFL and all teams and here is my protest. I will not watch any other NFL games with the exception of games involving my home team. I will only watch NCAA football until Roger suspends Bill Belichick for at least 1 year.

Send this to everyone you know and join the protest.

blacksaint 09-14-2007 06:51 PM

Re: Join the protest against the CHEATERS!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheramieIII (Post 138929)
Everyone,

I have written e-mails to about 50 different news agencies, the NFL and all teams and here is my protest. I will not watch any other NFL games with the exception of games involving my home team. I will only watch NCAA football until Roger suspends Bill Belichick for at least 1 year.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Somebody who's pissed off as I am.

LongTimeFan 09-14-2007 07:12 PM

Re: Join the protest against the CHEATERS!

I wonder if another coach besides Belichick would have done the same thing if they would have gotten suspended?, such as a young coach as Sean Payton.
Being he's won 3 SB's and that the Pats are a high ranked team could be the reason they didn't suspend him, I was shocked to see he wasn't.
What's up with that?

papz 09-14-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheramieIII (Post 138922)
Hence the word: CHEATERS! If I thought just Belichick was a cheater I would have said: CHEATER and I only called out a couple of names because I didn't feel like typing:

52 Alexander, Eric LB 6-2 240 2/8/82 3 LSU
23 Andrews, Willie CB 5-10 190 11/2/83 2 Baylor
32 Baker, Rashad S 5-10 198 2/22/82 4 Tennessee
88 Brady, Kyle TE 6-6 280 1/14/72 13 Penn State
12 Brady, Tom QB 6-4 225 8/3/77 8 Michigan
65 Britt, Wesley T 6-8 320 11/21/81 2 Alabama
98 Brown, Chad LB 6-2 245 7/12/70 15 Colorado
95 Brown, Kareem DT 6-4 295 1/30/84 R Miami (FL)
54 Bruschi, Tedy LB 6-1 247 6/9/73 12 Arizona
16 Cassel, Matt QB 6-4 230 5/17/82 3 USC
59 Colvin, Rosevelt LB 6-3 250 9/5/77 9 Purdue
44 Evans, Heath RB 6-0 250 12/30/78 7 Auburn
33 Faulk, Kevin RB 5-8 202 6/5/76 9 LSU
10 Gaffney, Jabar WR 6-1 200 12/1/80 6 Florida
21 Gay, Randall CB 5-11 190 5/5/82 4 LSU
3 Gostkowski, Stephen K 6-1 210 1/28/84 2 Memphis
97 Green, Jarvis DE 6-3 285 1/12/79 6 LSU
7 Gutierrez, Matt QB 6-4 230 6/9/84 R Idaho State
6 Hanson, Chris P 6-2 202 10/25/76 7 Marshall
27 Hobbs, Ellis CB 5-9 195 5/16/83 3 Iowa State
71 Hochstein, Russ G 6-4 305 10/7/77 6 Nebraska
53 Izzo, Larry LB 5-10 228 9/26/74 12 Rice
77 Kaczur, Nick T 6-4 315 7/28/79 3 Toledo
67 Koppen, Dan C 6-2 296 9/12/79 5 Boston College
72 Light, Matt T 6-4 305 6/23/78 7 Purdue
70 Mankins, Logan G 6-4 310 3/10/82 3 Fresno State
39 Maroney, Laurence RB 5-11 220 2/5/85 2 Minnesota
46 Mays, Corey LB 6-1 245 11/27/83 2 Notre Dame
31 Meriweather, Brandon S 5-11 200 1/14/84 R Miami (FL)
24 Mitchell, Mel S 6-1 225 2/10/79 6 Western Kentucky
34 Morris, Sammy RB 6-0 220 3/23/77 8 Texas Tech
81 Moss, Randy WR 6-4 210 2/13/77 10 Marshall
61 Neal, Stephen G 6-4 305 10/9/76 6 Cal State Bakersfield
68 O'Callaghan, Ryan T 6-7 330 7/19/83 2 California
66 Paxton, Lonie C 6-2 260 3/13/78 8 Sacramento State
22 Samuel, Asante CB 5-10 185 1/6/81 5 UCF
36 Sanders, James S 5-10 210 11/11/83 3 Fresno State
55 Seau, Junior LB 6-3 250 1/19/69 18 USC
90 Smith, Le Kevin DT 6-1 308 7/21/82 2 Nebraska
18 Stallworth, Donte' WR 6-0 200 11/10/80 6 Tennessee
96 Thomas, Adalius LB 6-2 270 8/18/77 8 Southern Miss
86 Thomas, David TE 6-3 248 7/5/83 2 Texas
92 Thomas, Santonio DT 6-4 305 7/2/81 1 Miami (FL)
50 Vrabel, Mike LB 6-4 261 8/14/75 11 Ohio State
94 Warren, Ty DT 6-5 300 2/6/81 5 Texas A&M
15 Washington, Kelley WR 6-3 215 8/21/79 5 Tennessee
84 Watson, Benjamin TE 6-3 255 12/18/80 4 Georgia
83 Welker, Wes WR 5-9 185 5/1/81 4 Texas Tech
75 Wilfork, Vince DT 6-2 325 11/4/81 4 Miami (FL)
26 Wilson, Eugene S 5-10 195 8/17/80 5 Illinois
58 Woods, Pierre LB 6-5 250 1/6/82 2 Michigan
99 Wright, Mike DT 6-4 295 3/1/82 3 Cincinnati
74 Yates, Billy G 6-2 305 4/15/80 4 Texas A&M

Injured Reserve
No. Player Pos Ht Wt DOB Exp College
Hairston, Justise RB 6-1 210 6/27/83 R Central Connecticut State
49 Lua, Oscar LB 6-0 238 5/9/84 R USC
35 Richardson, Mike CB 5-11 190 2/18/84 R Notre Dame
30 Scott, Chad CB 6-1 205 9/6/74 11 Maryland

and these guys are cheaters too and anyone who has ever played or coached for Belichick in New England is a CHEATER.

Yes all of them are CHEATERS, I was just trying to save some time and site space.

Good... at least your consistent.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheramieIII
Everyone,

Now that's what I'm talking about. Somebody who's pissed off as I am.
Sorry but I myself don't think it's that big of a deal. Not saying I condone cheating, but I feel as if the punishment fits the crime already. I don't see a reason to totally boycott watching NFL football... more importantly, Saints football. In all seriousness, I don't think it played that big of a role of the Pats winning all those rings. But I guess that's something we'll never know for sure...

phatoosdey 09-14-2007 09:19 PM

i'm with you papz...i feel the punishment is sufficient except in one regard...anytime you are caught cheating in a game you forfeit the game

if all 53 on the roster knew it would have been out way sooner....i triple dog dare you to cut me mr. bill...i'll sing like a canary :)

Bise 09-14-2007 10:11 PM

I swear, Randy Moss just seems to bring out the worst in people !!!!

blacksaint 09-15-2007 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bise (Post 138949)
I swear, Randy Moss just seems to bring out the worst in people !!!!

I bet you even Randy's wondering what the hell he's gotten himself into.

CheramieIII 09-15-2007 08:42 AM

Papz, your last statement is most fitting. We'll never really know the impact any of the cheating had and the fact that Belicheat doesn't want to address it now might just be because it's been ongoing, which raises even more issues?

Belicheat's arogance at the press conference like the whole issue meant nothing raises even more concern.

This is my opinion:

Belicheat never won anything until he started cheating as the head coach of the Patriots.

Brady a second string QB at Michigan won't be as good in the future without the direction of the offensive coordinator who can't cheat anymore.

The New England Patriots are nothing more than OJ or Vick to me now. They won those Superbowls by cheating, plain and simple.

papz 09-15-2007 10:23 AM

Quote:

This is my opinion:

Belicheat never won anything until he started cheating as the head coach of the Patriots.

Brady a second string QB at Michigan won't be as good in the future without the direction of the offensive coordinator who can't cheat anymore.

The New England Patriots are nothing more than OJ or Vick to me now. They won those Superbowls by cheating, plain and simple.
Well... I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the season plays out. I still believe the Pats are one of the best AFC teams and is one of the favorites to make it to the Superbowl. I'm sure even a division title should dis spell how little significance this is. I'm sure we'll see Tom Brady in the ProBowl again too.

However Cher, I do understand your point of view on this.

ssmitty 09-15-2007 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papz (Post 138960)
Well... I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the season plays out. I still believe the Pats are one of the best AFC teams and is one of the favorites to make it to the Superbowl. I'm sure even a division title should dis spell how little significance this is. I'm sure we'll see Tom Brady in the ProBowl again too.

hey papz,
here is an article by vic carruci on his take of belichick........
Pats' 'videogate' doesn't diminish Super success

here was a letter i sent to his station on how i felt about it....

in response to your take on why the patriots 3 super bowl wins should stand....

does not one, I repeat one game sometimes makes the difference between making the playoffs or not?
I doubt you could argue this..........
and, with this being the case, if just that one win with the help of cheating got the patriots there, should they not forfeit a super bowl title because of this?
where are your morals?
you can make the case that they have good players and coaches till you're blue in the face but it does not justify cheating.
and that's just what they did............
if it's one thing the American people do not tolerate, it is cheating, especially in sports........
you'd do good to rethink your position on this...........
Joe in Texas

ssmitty 09-15-2007 12:40 PM

is belichick gone after this season?

PAPER *PATS | By MARK CANNIZZARO | Sports News | Scores | Results

hagan714 09-15-2007 12:43 PM

Relax please. I remember in high school and in college we always spied on the opposing teams to get there signs. Granted it was not taped but we all spent time watching them. It was in all sports. It is part of the game we are taught about at a young age. Why do you think Sean holds the card over his mouth? No lip readers please.
All this is going to do is allow the defense to have radios in there helmets. Which by the way Bill voted for. Here in Boston there is a some what common belief that he did on purpose to get the defense wired. The fans believe the fine was paid by the FO not Bill. As for the loss of a draft choice they think of it as no big deal. They got 2 anyways and could never sign the picks anyways. Cap will be two tight. Thats why they traded last years second #1 anyhow.
After watching the Pats FO for years this move does not sound crazy. Every team is a winner here. The defense gets wired and and everyone moves up a pick after the Pats forfeit theirs. A small price to pay in the FO and fans eyes here in Boston.

ssmitty 09-15-2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hagan714 (Post 138972)
Relax please. I remember in high school and in college we always spied on the opposing teams to get there signs. Granted it was not taped but we all spent time watching them. It was in all sports. It is part of the game we are taught about at a young age. Why do you think Sean holds the card over his mouth? No lip readers please.
All this is going to do is allow the defense to have radios in there helmets. Which by the way Bill voted for. Here in Boston there is a some what common belief that he did on purpose to get the defense wired. The fans believe the fine was paid by the FO not Bill. As for the loss of a draft choice they think of it as no big deal. They got 2 anyways and could never sign the picks anyways. Cap will be two tight. Thats why they traded last years second #1 anyhow.
After watching the Pats FO for years this move does not sound crazy. Every team is a winner here. The defense gets wired and and everyone moves up a pick after the Pats forfeit theirs. A small price to pay in the FO and fans eyes here in Boston.

if you're looking for an edge, try outcoaching without cheating.......
i don't believe you know the ramifications of this action....
the outcry of the public is just beginning to come to light.....
while you have some who say it's nothing, i see the majority
do not like it at all.....
we can't compare it to vick, should not compare it to bonds,yet,
or the ref in the nba, or the 1919 world series, or mcguire,
or, the list goes on and on and on....
it's cheating though and if you scan through all those who
have been caught at it, the penalties have been
harsher in most cases compared to belichicks........
this imo will mushroom like vick for different reasons....
i think this is very big.........very.........
and if you're the owner of the patriots, do you want
this hanging over your head?

ssmitty 09-15-2007 02:04 PM

i'll post this and no more......
all of us could go on and on and on
about what's right and wrong,
but in my mind i know.....
if cheating gets me a win, i'll take the loss....

Sports debate: When to cry foul - The Boston Globe

think about this, sports is a multi billion dollar betting industry......
if it was proved the team you bet on and lost on was the result of the other team cheating,
would'nt you demand your money back?
it's the least i'd want.......but what's worse is it would shy me away from betting....
because of not knowing who was on the up and up.......
it's really sad all the way around...............smitty

CheramieIII 09-15-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papz (Post 138960)

Thanks P and I understand yours.

CheramieIII 09-15-2007 04:14 PM

The disciples of Belicheat aren't crap either (Weiss and Crennel) Weiss only decent for a year or two because of the team he inherited and nothing more. Crennel will never be crap. I think their success may have had something to do with cheating don't you guys and gals. Notre Dame has no offensive TD's in 2 1/2 games negative rushing yards and they've been outscored 95 to 13 in 2/12 games. They suck the big one and the Browns look like they couldn't beat the Irish. I can't wait to see what the rest of the season brings.

UK_WhoDat 09-15-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssmitty (Post 138981)
i'll post this and no more......
all of us could go on and on and on
about what's right and wrong,
but in my mind i know.....

Sports debate: When to cry foul - The Boston Globe

think about this, sports is a multi billion dollar betting industry......
if it was proved the team you bet on and lost on was the result of the other team cheating,
would'nt you demand your money back?
it's the least i'd want.......but what's worse is it would shy me away from betting....
because of not knowing who was on the up and up.......
it's really sad all the way around...............smitty

And that my friend determines the person you are. Win (take) anything by cheating (when your LIFE does not depend on it) and I say just what is the point......... Just who are you fooling? At the end of your time, YOU (not anyone else) stands up to count what YOU ACHIEVED not stole.

Tobias-Reiper 09-15-2007 07:41 PM

..as it was the case with Vick (i.e., everyone saying "he's going to jail because of dog fighting", which really isn't why he's going to jail) people are just holding onto a sound bite, as in "they were videotaping" and don't see the scope of the implications here...

.. at the beginning, I couldn't see what the big deal was, since everyone has videotape of everyone. It wasn't until I saw a clip of the Jets game, where the Pats cameraman was highlighted in the background, that I figured - or at least I think I figured :) - why they were doing ti.

The camera in use was a bona fide TV camera, which has a powerful zoom, a boom mic, and seemed to be connected to something (a cable running off the back of the camera)
The cameraman could've easily zoom in and pick up the defensive call, and transmit it to the Pats' booth, knowing which play was going to be called. I would think that it would have taken the Pats 1-2 quarters to figure out what call meant what. Once they figured out the calls, cameraman picks up defensive/offensive call (possibly both video and audio), the Pats' booth sees it as it happens, Pats' booth relays call to def. coor. or Brady. Ex; the cameraman points camera to get the defensive call, transmits to the booth, booth determines that play call is a safety blitz coming from the weak side, and signal Brady or off. coor. to throw screen pass to the strong side. Happened over and over in SB XXXIX....

QBREES9 09-15-2007 11:04 PM

Nickname Bela-Cheat

hagan714 09-16-2007 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobias-Reiper (Post 138991)
..as it was the case with Vick (i.e., everyone saying "he's going to jail because of dog fighting", which really isn't why he's going to jail) people are just holding onto a sound bite, as in "they were videotaping" and don't see the scope of the implications here...

.. at the beginning, I couldn't see what the big deal was, since everyone has videotape of everyone. It wasn't until I saw a clip of the Jets game, where the Pats cameraman was highlighted in the background, that I figured - or at least I think I figured :) - why they were doing ti.

The camera in use was a bona fide TV camera, which has a powerful zoom, a boom mic, and seemed to be connected to something (a cable running off the back of the camera)
The cameraman could've easily zoom in and pick up the defensive call, and transmit it to the Pats' booth, knowing which play was going to be called. I would think that it would have taken the Pats 1-2 quarters to figure out what call meant what. Once they figured out the calls, cameraman picks up defensive/offensive call (possibly both video and audio), the Pats' booth sees it as it happens, Pats' booth relays call to def. coor. or Brady. Ex; the cameraman points camera to get the defensive call, transmits to the booth, booth determines that play call is a safety blitz coming from the weak side, and signal Brady or off. coor. to throw screen pass to the strong side. Happened over and over in SB XXXIX....

Finnally a somewhat logical look at the big picture. Silly isn't it. There was no need for it. You have to ask yourself this.
So why do it and get caught when they could have done it and never got caught?
Piece of cake. Just watching the game you can figure out what a defense is going to do from the sofa by the second half anyways. Besides that camera could have been placed anywhere in the stadium and got the same results. All you need was a seperate sound crew. Like TV does now. There was no reason to get caught.
What was to be gained? Really?
In the big picture it will get the passage of the ruling that the Defense can get wired and there is no more need for signing in the play. The penility is ok considering the picks involved for the pats. They are over loaded next year. As ar as the fines go, it probably would be a wash cost wise. Comparing the fine to the time and money spent to get the passage of the bill. Quick and simple.
Why should the offense have that advantage over the defense anyway?
Is that not cheating for the offense? They can wait till the defensive package is on the field to select the play. Cuts the play selction in a third. Oh thats right, the NFL has changed the rules of the game not only to speed up the games in order to keep the Networks happy and maximize the profits. But also to insure higher scoring games to appeal to a growing fan base. The key word is insure. The game has been tainted for money and because of the money. This is true of all professional sports.
Conclusion
A small price to pay to somewhat level the playing field between the offense and the defense. Which will truely never be leveled again because, you the viewing fan does not want it so. Thats right; YOU THE FAN.

For us old timers the game is not the same. We miss the contact.
Let the defenses play again in all professional sports, please.

hagan714 09-16-2007 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssmitty (Post 138980)
if you're looking for an edge, try outcoaching without cheating.......
i don't believe you know the ramifications of this action....
the outcry of the public is just beginning to come to light.....
while you have some who say it's nothing, i see the majority
do not like it at all.....
we can't compare it to vick, should not compare it to bonds,yet,
or the ref in the nba, or the 1919 world series, or mcguire,
or, the list goes on and on and on....
it's cheating though and if you scan through all those who
have been caught at it, the penalties have been
harsher in most cases compared to belichicks........
this imo will mushroom like vick for different reasons....
i think this is very big.........very.........
and if you're the owner of the patriots, do you want
this hanging over your head?

I understand and belive in your point. BUT you have to understand the way of thinking here on the upper northeast coast. Thats right there is a diffence. Do not lump them together with the lower northern sections. You will be corrected if you make that mistake.
There is the upper northeast coast, then there is everywhere else.
They truely think and live this way. They are unto a world of there own. They do not care what you think because you are not here, so your opion of them means nothing. Simple and sweet. This is the land where screwing someone over is a god given right. Everyone has a scam. You are not respected unless you get over on someone else.
This has not caused an up roar here at all. Water off the ducks back. So hang whatever you want over there heads. They do not care. You and the rest of the country does not matter. Fans are laughing and drinking to this. Thats the way they are. I am sure Bill will eat for free the next year because of it.