Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Welcome Wagon - NEW!

Defend your HANDLE!

this is a discussion within the Welcome Wagon - NEW! Community Forum; Try to keep this simple; born in Thibodaux - raised on Bayou Cane (Houma) How I got my nickname/alter ego? We have a vendor, Bryan that visits for the first time and wants local cuisine and to meet real Cajuns. ...

Like Tree143Likes

Closed Thread  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
Site Donor 2018

Try to keep this simple; born in Thibodaux - raised on Bayou Cane (Houma)

How I got my nickname/alter ego?

We have a vendor, Bryan that visits for the first time and wants local cuisine and to meet real Cajuns.

Our best friend, Bubba, arranges for a couple of his hunting podnuhs to have Lunch with us at what is now Hebert's Cafe...

Bryan sits next to one of Bubba's friends, Jean; and Bryan is just eating up the sidebar conversation - having the time of his life...

I drive him back to New Orleans for Dinner and we meet with Bryan and his boss, Jim, who had flown in to NOLA, but didn't want to leave the city...

Jim asks Bryan about the day's events in front of several people at the table...

Bryan geauxs on about the area, the food, and the people with respect to Lunch that day; Jim asks him what Bryan and Jean talked about - Bryan says "I don't know, it was all in Cajun French - isn't that great!?!"

I started laughing and then had to explain to him that Jean doesn't speak French but that he talks fast and low (i.e. Farmer Fran/Waterboy)

Well this just slayed Bryan; his boss was not impressed as he's pretty much an Adam Henry...

Bryan and I went out for drinks with some of my buddies in NOLA to ease his public disappointment and somewhere between Lucy's and Fat Harry's I became Jean Pierre as we laughed about it...

So that's it...

It's not that my way is the right way, I just make the right way my way...
Old 01-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
100th Post

Reuben Mayes

now that's a great story, Jean Pierre!

as to how my handle, came about, well, I live in Canada and when Reuben Mayes played for the Saints back in the 80's I always thought it was pretty kool having a fellow canuck playing on the Saints or anywhere in the NFL for that matter as there weren't(back in Reuben's playing days) and aren't today, too many canucks occupying NFL rosters.

I believe Reuben hailed from North Battleford, Saskatchewan and he certainly had a nice career as a Saint...thus the homage to my fellow Canuck Saint, Reuben Mayes as my handle!

Rueben
Closed Thread