New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com (http://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   NFL (http://blackandgold.com/nfl/)
-   -   NFL considers banning academically ineligible players from Scouting Combine (http://blackandgold.com/nfl/58792-nfl-considers-banning-academically-ineligible-players-scouting-combine.html)

SmashMouth 07-07-2013 02:04 PM

NFL considers banning academically ineligible players from Scouting Combine
 
In response to the criticism arising from the Aaron Hernandez case, the NFL is considering a change that, in our view, ultimately will have no impact on the decision of teams to take chances on players with questionable backgrounds.

According to Bruce Feldman of CBSSports.com, the NFL is considering barring academically ineligible prospects from the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

Feldman, citing an unnamed NFL source, reports that the possibility is “being discussed because of the increased scrutiny on the maturity and commitment of the prospects entering the NFL.”

By excluding the players deemed most likely to be drafted from Indianapolis, the NFL would only be making the scouting process more cumbersome and expensive for its teams. The primary benefit of the Scouting Combine comes from bringing all of the top prospects and all of the teams to the same place, reducing significantly the costs of the medical review and creating an opportunity to talk to as many players as possible, either via the normal interview rotation or the loosely-organized (and lesser-known) “train station” conversations, which in theory allows a sufficiently diligent team to register face time with every player.

Besides, academically ineligible players would still be drafted, whether they go to the Scouting Combine or not.

So while it’s good that the NFL is considering ways to prevent future Aaron Hernandezes from being employed by NFL teams when they allegedly commit murder or other mayhem, banning academically ineligible players from the Scouting Combine won’t do anything to accomplish the goal.

Unless the goal is to generate some P.R. that will make the casual fan think the NFL is serious about the problem. If the NFL really is serious about the problem, however, this isn’t the way to solve it.

Link Back

TheOak 07-08-2013 07:58 PM

Re: NFL considers banning academically ineligible players from Scouting Combine
 
You want to open the door for corruption? Let Jerry Jones visit a professor that us about to give a bad grade to a player Jerry wants on his team.

rezburna 07-08-2013 08:35 PM

Re: NFL considers banning academically ineligible players from Scouting Combine
 
Stupid.

Beastmode 07-09-2013 12:26 AM

Re: NFL considers banning academically ineligible players from Scouting Combine
 
This is misguided because you don't have to have a college education to be a good person / player. It helps, but there are many players who never went to college or graduated that turned out fine.

The best defense against players like him are the players themselves. Nobody on the Falcons knew about a dog fighting enterprise when he was wearing gear stating exactly that? B.S. They knew, somebody knew and did nothing. Same with Herndandez. Players knew he was involved with gang activity.

TheOak 07-09-2013 08:07 AM

Re: NFL considers banning academically ineligible players from Scouting Combine
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastmode (Post 510584)
This is misguided because you don't have to have a college education to be a good person / player. It helps, but there are many players who never went to college or graduated that turned out fine.

The best defense against players like him are the players themselves. Nobody on the Falcons knew about a dog fighting enterprise when he was wearing gear stating exactly that? B.S. They knew, somebody knew and did nothing. Same with Herndandez. Players knew he was involved with gang activity.

it is not about having the College education Beast... it is being looked at as a manor to determine work ethic. If a player didn't go to college no big deal... If he went to College and pissed away a scholarship, was ineligible at any time at any time it shows flaws in his work ethic and drive. Seriously, college athletes that are preforming at a level that would get them an invite to a combine have zero excuse for not maintaining a passing GPA, they have the benefits of tutors etc provided to them. If they can not find a way to make it to class, get a degree in General Studies, you expect them to be able to learn a playbook and show up for practice?

K Major 07-09-2013 10:56 AM

Re: NFL considers banning academically ineligible players from Scouting Combine
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rezburna (Post 510570)
Stupid.

+1. Risk is everything. Let the NFL owners and coaches assess their own risk on a per player basis.

rezburna 07-09-2013 11:02 AM

Re: NFL considers banning academically ineligible players from Scouting Combine
 
We can't forget that some of these college athletes were only allowed in the school because they can play ball, and they would gladly play for some minor league football team if it was the best route to the NFL. Right now college is pretty much the only way to get there. We're forcing kids to go to college, then we want to punish them for caring more about the sport then their books? Its stupid.

TheOak 07-09-2013 12:31 PM

Re: NFL considers banning academically ineligible players from Scouting Combine
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rezburna (Post 510629)
We can't forget that some of these college athletes were only allowed in the school because they can play ball, and they would gladly play for some minor league football team if it was the best route to the NFL. Right now college is pretty much the only way to get there. We're forcing kids to go to college, then we want to punish them for caring more about the sport then their books? Its stupid.

I have a different view. When you have a full ride, caring about the books IS caring about playing the game.

When you have 1 shot to make something of your self, an opportunity to rise above all that life has dealt you and you have to make a 2.0 to get it... They lack focus and are easily distracted.. the entire point behind what the NFL is thinking of doing...

They all have the opportunity to play outside of college football and make it in if they are good enough, that does come with a lower initial paycheck so they are blinded by 6 figures.

rezburna 07-09-2013 01:15 PM

Re: NFL considers banning academically ineligible players from Scouting Combine
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOak (Post 510643)
I have a different view. When you have a full ride, caring about the books IS caring about playing the game.

When you have 1 shot to make something of your self, an opportunity to rise above all that life has dealt you and you have to make a 2.0 to get it... They lack focus and are easily distracted.. the entire point behind what the NFL is thinking of doing...

They all have the opportunity to play outside of college football and make it in if they are good enough, that does come with a lower initial paycheck so they are blinded by 6 figures.

But like I said, they were given a full ride for the sole purpose of playing football. The elite don't stay all four years in the 1st place. A good majority of those boys aren't college material in the 1st place. College isn't meant for everybody and isn't important to everybody. I'm sitting here with a degree in radiologic technology and can't find a job. That's the reality. These boys make billions for the NCAA and NFL. Let them play. A lot of the greats already never make it because of their circumstances. Why stack the odds even more and open the door for more corruption?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com