Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Pelicans
Shop Horizontal

Pelicans New Logos

this is a discussion within the Pelicans Community Forum; Originally Posted by TheOak NFL owns "New Orleans Saints". This is why you don't see team names of professional sports used in other sports. NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA.... How many teams use duplicate names? MLB and the NFL did it ...

Like Tree3Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: "Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice"
Posts: 4,298
Blog Entries: 15
Re: Pelicans New Logos

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
NFL owns "New Orleans Saints". This is why you don't see team names of professional sports used in other sports.

NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA.... How many teams use duplicate names?
MLB and the NFL did it in St. Louis with the Cardinals, but that was back in the day and the only time I can think of. IDK if it would be allowed today.
SloMotion is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 15,615
Originally Posted by SloMotion View Post
MLB and the NFL did it in St. Louis with the Cardinals, but that was back in the day and the only time I can think of. IDK if it would be allowed today.
You are right, I forgot about the Cards.

It isn't done any more because of copy rights...
TheOak is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,246
Re: Pelicans New Logos

Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Pelicans are better than all of those, except for Voodoo. I was however for naming them the Saints. I think that would have been cool. But that would take away fron merchandise revenue so...
I disagree. In fact, I think Pelicans is no better than their original name Hornets.
Danno is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 17,098
Blog Entries: 27
Re: Pelicans New Logos

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
I disagree. In fact, I think Pelicans is no better than their original name Hornets.
Swamp any better? .... The New Orleans Swamp!
SmashMouth is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #15
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,246
Re: Pelicans New Logos

Originally Posted by SmashMouth View Post
Swamp any better? .... The New Orleans Swamp!
Better than Pelicans.
Danno is offline  
Old 02-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #16
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,644
Re: Pelicans New Logos

Originally Posted by SmashMouth View Post
While I initially agree that the name is not a home run, it was chosen carefully for its marketing possibilities.... meaning the entire gulf coast. It's going to take a regional approach to keep them here, just as they did with the Saints. Come to think of it, they could have also named them the Saints.

I understand the reasoning but the Saints are anything but a regional name.
The marketing on this was horrible to say the least. I never saw one poll to take into consideration what fans want. Not one. Maybe there was one but again, failure on their marketing team because I never saw it and I check in with what they are doing from time to time.

The Pelican artwork is also bad. It looks like someting made on Powerpoint from 1999 by their front office secretary. There are high school kids using Photoshop that could do a much better job. Who is the local artist? Who came up with the design? Again, total miss. We have some artist with skills and it doesn't look like anything that came out of the Crescent City.
Beastmode is offline  
Old 02-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 17,098
Blog Entries: 27
Re: Pelicans New Logos

Is the name "Lakers" any better for L.A.?

Point being, it'll get accepted over time.
SmashMouth is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts