Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Dwight Smith released today???!!

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; according to all of u we should keep ppl who start sh*t in the locker room...good idea lets keep some1 who is a problem to the team...thats one reason we did so crappy last year is because the locker room ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2006, 09:03 PM   #41
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 58
according to all of u we should keep ppl who start sh*t in the locker room...good idea lets keep some1 who is a problem to the team...thats one reason we did so crappy last year is because the locker room was divided...and because we didnt have a leader on the team...and haslett yea lets forget about him jumping on somebodys @$$...he would rather just look at them funny...if u do some dumb sh*t like the saints players have done in the past on other teams the coach would be all over you before u got to the sideline. and yea dwight was a real bright spot..2 picks from some1 who was supposed to be a ball magnet. and bullocks getting burned deep like some1 said...he was a rookie and had some rookie mistakes but for the most part i think he did a hell of a job once being asked to step in once bellamy got hurt. there was several times when he came flying across the field to make a play on the ball. bullocks will be just as good as dwight smith in my opinion and roman harper is gonna be a good saftey also...he's gonna have to sit back most likely this year and learn from bellamy but from everything they say about him he's gonna be a hell of a saftey...so stop whining about it, its already said and done and no matter what we say or how much we whine he's not coming back and since he was a cancer in the locker room i say good riddens we dont need problem spots like that hanging around...oh and also about not getting nothing for him...he has been on the trading block since day one of the draft...if they coulda got something for him they woulda traded him...idk where u heard about the bucs supposedly offering us a third round pick but if we coulda got a third round pick we woulda jumped all over it...i mean come on and think for a sec ppl...all the eagles had to give up for T.O. was a 2nd round pick...teams dont like trading away their draft picks because they can get good young players instead of some1 who will be losing his momentum in 3-4 years. and he had a lot of money on his contract...nobody wanted to pay him all that...and yea we are going with younger safteys...yea we have some older vets but we got bullocks and harper which will be our starters for years to come

Jammal Brown HONORS – 2006: Pro Bowl (Starter); Associated Press All-Pro; Pro Football Weekly/Pro Football Writers of America All-NFL & All-NFC; USA Today All-Pro; Sports Illustrated (Dr. Z) All-Pro; 2005: Pro Football Weekly All-Rookie team.
NoBandwagonrs is offline  
Latest Blogs
REFUND Last Blog: 12-07-2014 By: xan




Saints: A glimpse of the future Last Blog: 11-19-2014 By: lee909


Old 07-21-2006, 09:55 PM   #42
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,941
Originally Posted by gandhi1007
Originally Posted by Tobias-Reiper
He didn't do anything to write home about last year, nor his last 2 years before in Tampa. You say "player of this caliber" as if you were talking about Jack Tatum. And the guy was here one year!
Huh? Dwight Smith & Will Smith were the only bright spots on our defense last year. Bullocks was constantly getting beat with the home run ball & lets not even discuss the CB situation. The guy was a Super Bowl MVP, but he's just decent? If he was so replaceable to the Bucs, why are they chomping at the bit to get him back? If he was a cancer.....fine. Trade him & get something in return. Unfortunately, our FO isn't too bright. First, we let our only Pro Bowler (LeCharles Bentley) walk for nothing. Then we give up a high 1st day pick for Jeff Faine.....the guy LeCharles replaced. Can you say "BAMBOOZLED"? Now, we let a solid starting safety (not to mention former Super Bowl MVP) go for nothing again. We could have definately got a 4th rounder minimum for D. Smith. What's next? We give up our 3rd rounder in next year's draft to the Bucs for a role playing safety? Someone in our FO needs to get there heads out of there arses!
Nuff said. The staff makes a no brainer move of drafting Reggie Bush, and you'd think they walk on water with all this "benefit of the doubt" stuff. It was a dumb move to let Dwight walk for nothing. Several moves have been questionable this off-season, and several have been great. I would hate for there to be only praise for the good moves, and the bad moves ignored. That's how Haslett and Co stayed here 6 years too long. And Brooks. And Sullivan. Etc., etc.
saintswhodi is offline  
Old 07-21-2006, 10:32 PM   #43
El Mero Mero
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Kingsville, Tx
Posts: 669
I think what everyone is pissed off about is the fact that a starter walked away for nothing. People offered us stuff and we decided to just let him leave for nothing....thats just stupid....i trust that Payton is getting his people and what not, but thats just common sense, get what ya can for what u dont want, cmon now........
saintsfan1313 is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 12:18 AM   #44
PorkchopExpress
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 608
Blog Entries: 2
All we know is what we hear. We dont know the truth to any of this. We dont know for sure that anyone offered anything for Smith. We heard teams were interested, but we dont know if anything was offered. It really is amazing how different things are in reality compared to what we hear. I know for a fact that Will Smith was brought aside by coach Payton after the OTA's and told that he was behind in the weight room. He was told to get his s##t together because come training camp, all running plays were going to be run right at him. Smith's reply was, "Coach, I hope you do." That was never reported...no one has mentioned one negative thing about will smith, but that is indeed a fact. Also, one more inside note, there will be 8 guys having workouts with the Saints on Monday and 6 of them are LB's. We'll see how that goes.

It's all in the reflexes.
Bobaganoosh is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 12:57 AM   #45
100th Post
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ol' Metry
Posts: 239
Even if the draft pick offered was for next year's Mr. Irrelevant, that's absolutely better than letting Smith walk.

Don't get me started on letting Bentley go...

Adding insult to injury, we replaced him with the Center that wasn't good enough to play for the team (Cleveland) that stole him away.

WHO CARES IF FAINE WAS A FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK BY CLEVELAND? THEIR TEAMS FOR THE PAST FEW HAVE SUCKED! WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO WHEN KRIS JENKINS OR BOOGER MCFARLAND CONSISTENTLY BOWL HIM OVER!!!! JAMAR NESBIT?

I'm not a hater. I want the Saints to win every game, but I'm predicting at least 7 tackles behind the line right after Brees takes a snap. Maybe I'm still reeling over letting a mauler like Bentley go. But, how could we not have made salary cap room for him. He could've been a lifer.

I'm feeling like the ghost of La'Roi Glover is about manifest itself in letting Bentley go...

LOOMIS!!!!!
jdiggy is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 03:32 AM   #46
Merces Letifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,392
Originally Posted by gandhi1007
Originally Posted by Tobias-Reiper
He didn't do anything to write home about last year, nor his last 2 years before in Tampa. You say "player of this caliber" as if you were talking about Jack Tatum. And the guy was here one year!
Huh? Dwight Smith & Will Smith were the only bright spots on our defense last year. Bullocks was constantly getting beat with the home run ball & lets not even discuss the CB situation. The guy was a Super Bowl MVP, but he's just decent? If he was so replaceable to the Bucs, why are they chomping at the bit to get him back? If he was a cancer.....fine. Trade him & get something in return. Unfortunately, our FO isn't too bright. First, we let our only Pro Bowler (LeCharles Bentley) walk for nothing. Then we give up a high 1st day pick for Jeff Faine.....the guy LeCharles replaced. Can you say "BAMBOOZLED"? Now, we let a solid starting safety (not to mention former Super Bowl MVP) go for nothing again. We could have definately got a 4th rounder minimum for D. Smith. What's next? We give up our 3rd rounder in next year's draft to the Bucs for a role playing safety? Someone in our FO needs to get there heads out of there arses!
Someone already corrected you on that SB MVP, and added what that really means...
He was merely a role player playing behind guys like Sapp, Mcfarland, Brooks, Lynch, Barber, Rice...
...and this "the Bucs chomping at the bit to get him back" it's a bit of a stretch, don't you think? They released him, didn't they? They didn't offer anything for him, did they? Matter of fact, no one offered anything for him.

You guys need to stop obsessing about picks.

And again, with Bentley. His contract was up. He didn't want to stay here. He wanted to go to Cleveland. He didn't want to go anywhere else.

La neta es chida, pero inalcanzable
Tobias-Reiper is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 09:30 AM   #47
Part Time Pimp
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,966
Let's set the record straight. Yes....the Bucs released him. Why? Salary cap issues. Here's some Economics 101 for you: When you have names like Derrick Brooks, Warren Sapp, Anthony McFarland, John Lynch, Ronde Barber, & Simeon Rice on your payroll (& that's just on defense), you have to release personnel to make room for the cap.

But, the Bucs didn't want Smith back right? Here's just one article from the Tampa paper.

TRADE WHISPERER: The Saints haven't given up on the idea of trading former Bucs defensive back Dwight Smith, in part because the Bucs haven't given up on the idea of making a deal for Smith.

Because he can play both corner and safety, the Bucs never liked the idea of losing Smith, a former Buc draftee who signed with the Saints as a free agent in 2005.

The Bucs also weren't willing to pay the roughly $1 million a year that Smith was going to make with the Saints, but the increase in the 2006 salary cap would now allow for the Bucs to take on Smith's salary without penalty.

It may take until the end of training camp, or even the trade deadline, but the Bucs will likely get Smith back at some point. And if one of their projected starting safeties goes down, the Bucs may pull the trigger even sooner than that.
Here's the link:


http://www.tbo.com/sports/bucs/MGBMP0W0SNE.html


No one interested, huh?

Bucs, Vikings Pursuing Smith
By: Scott Reynolds
July 21, 2006 10:45PM EST


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tampa Bay is interested in signing former New Orleans safety Dwight Smith, who played for the Bucs from 2001-04, but the Pewter Pirates aren't the only team in the mix. Sources tell PewterReport.com that the Minnesota Vikings are also interested in the talented and versatile defensive back. Read this PewterReport.com story for more information.


Copyright 2006 PewterReport.com


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Buccaneers are interested in re-signing former Tampa Bay defensive back Dwight Smith, who was released by New Orleans after receiving a $3.5 million signing bonus and playing just one season with the Saints. But the Bucs aren’t the only team after the versatile Smith, who has played cornerback and safety in his five years in the NFL, and is one of the league’s best special teams contributors.

Sources tell PewterReport.com that the Minnesota Vikings have also entered the picture and have put a lucrative offer on the table after speaking with Smith’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus. Rosenhaus has also spoken with the Buccaneers regarding Smith, but the financial package that Minnesota has put forth is believed to be more than what Tampa Bay is currently offering.

The Vikings’ interest in Smith stems from his relationship with former Bucs secondary coach Mike Tomlin, who is Minnesota’s new defensive coordinator. Tomlin and Smith had a great rapport during their four-year stint together in Tampa Bay from 2001-04. But Minnesota’s secondary boasts veterans at safety – Darren Sharper and free agent acquisition Tank Williams – and at cornerback – Fred Smoot and Antoine Winfield.

However, the Vikings lack a solid nickel corner, and that’s where Smith, who was Tampa Bay’s nickel cornerback for three years, could fit in. Second-year player Will Hunter now occupies that role for Minnesota. Willie Offord is the Vikings' third safety.

While Tampa Bay is loaded at cornerback with Ronde Barber, Brian Kelly, Juran Bolden and Alan Zemaitis, this year’s fourth-round pick, the Bucs could use Smith to shore up the safety spots as Jermaine Phillips and third-year player Will Smith are the only two players with real experience at the position. Kalvin Pearson has shown promise, but the Bucs could use Smith’s veteran savvy and playmaking ability.

With training camp opening league-wide next week, Smith’s fate will likely be decided in the next couple of days. For Smith, it could come down to taking more money and reuniting with Tomlin in Minnesota, or perhaps taking less money and playing for defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin again. It may also come down to which position Smith would prefer to play – cornerback or safety.

Smith has several close friends on the Bucs, including quarterback Chris Simms and wide receiver Michael Clayton. Smith recently took part in Clayton's charity celebrity basketball game and commented that he would like to play for the Bucs again.

The 5-foot-10, 201-pound Smith, who was drafted by Tampa Bay in the third round of the 2001 draft out of Akron, is entering his sixth season in the NFL. He has recorded 295 tackles, 14 interceptions, eight forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and one sack in his career. Smith set an NFL record by returning two interceptions for touchdowns in Super Bowl XXXVII against the Oakland Raiders in the Bucs’ 48-21 victory.
Here's that link:

http://www.pewterreport.com/article....2268&category=




Now, to end all the BS.....I'm not pissed about losing Dwight Smith. I'm pissed because once again we got nothing for a very tradeable player. In other words, we were "Bamboozled" again.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...gs/12-3006.jpg

______________________________
KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!
-G.I. Joe
gandhi1007 is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 09:42 AM   #48
Part Time Pimp
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,966
Originally Posted by NoBandwagonrs
...oh and also about not getting nothing for him...he has been on the trading block since day one of the draft...if they coulda got something for him they woulda traded him...
Aahhh......youth. Unfortunately, my youthful friend, everyone in the league knows how dumb our FO is. The Eagles wanted Darren Howard. We wanted too much. Eagles wait a year....get Howard for nothing. Cleveland wanted LeCharles Bentley. We didn't franchise him.....the Browns swipe him up in FA. God.....I know I'll regret this one, but what the hell. Oakland needed a QB. Everyone knew if we didn't trade Brooks, he'd get cut. The Raiders wait us out.....pick up Brooks for nothing. See the trend? Now.....everyone knows Payton's got it in for Dwight Smith. Hell.....do like everyone else.....wait until we release him, & get him for nothing. Let the Saints flip the bill for his remainig bonuses. Face it.....we've got Forrest Gump as a GM. That's what pisses me off.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...gs/12-3006.jpg

______________________________
KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!
-G.I. Joe
gandhi1007 is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 02:46 PM   #49
Resident Swede
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mrsta, Sweden
Posts: 5,108
Hey! Thats not very nice to say about Forrest Gump, he's a lot brighter than that.
Crusader is offline  
Old 07-22-2006, 09:47 PM   #50
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,941
Damn, ghandi is slaying them. I had to re-read and make sure those weren't me.

Over/under we release Bennett and get nothing for him too. As far as LeCharles not wanting to be here, who gives a @#$%? That's what the franchise tag is for. A non-exclusive franchise tag allows him to still negotiate with other teams, who would then HAVE to give us something for him. Second, players don't get to decide where they wanna go if you have a means to keep them. They can play and or not play and get fined. Since when did a player saying they didn't wanna be somewhere force personnel decisions? Point is, that was ANOTHER player we could have gotten something for, but got zero, except Cleveland's trash once they got him. Whether Bentley wanted to be here or nor is 1000000% irrelevant.
saintswhodi is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts