Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Terry Donahues comments

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by OldiesDJ Patton is the equivalent to Joe Horn for this team. He hasn't been around as long, so his leadership isn't as strong. However, his on field play reminds me of Joe Horn. He's consistent. He picks ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 12:51 AM   #11
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 6,954
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Terry Donahues comments

Originally Posted by OldiesDJ View Post
Patton is the equivalent to Joe Horn for this team. He hasn't been around as long, so his leadership isn't as strong. However, his on field play reminds me of Joe Horn. He's consistent. He picks up first downs. Their styles are incredibly similar. I agree that he needs to be utilized more. Unfortunately, that's not in SP's playbook.
Totally like Patton but thats what a develop veteran WR in the NFL brings to the table. He's a professional WR.
Euphoria is offline  
Old 11-19-2007, 08:54 AM   #12
SaintSince67
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PortCity
Posts: 2,010
Re: Terry Donahues comments

Originally Posted by OldiesDJ View Post
I agree that he needs to be utilized more. Unfortunately, that's not in SP's playbook.
There are lots of numbers missing from Payton's play book this year, and I have a tough time figuring out why. There are very few down the field routes - or maybe I should say down the field throws and that has to be by design. Is it just me, or does it seem like ALL of our routes are into heavy traffic? The lack of a commitment to the run is keeping Brees in deep doo-doo, and it looks like the same game plan every week, it doesn't matter who we are going up against. The little dinks and dunks and the 4, 3, 2 yard completions (sometimes -2) are making me sick. I know Brees has a better arm than that. I also have a tough time watching our defense lay back and get picked apart. I would bring everybody! I would rather see us get lit up in the first 2-3 seconds (at least we would have a chance to make a play) than to let QB's have 7-8 seconds to pick their spots and take whatever they want. There seems to be no adjustments being made. We either win or lose with our little pea shooter - and lately we've been getting blasted.

**SaintSince67**
darstep is offline  
Old 11-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #13
100th Post
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 259
Re: Terry Donahues comments

I'm sure I'll get boo'd for this but the Saints could have had Randy Moss next to Colston this year. Think about that. I think he signed for 3mil with NE and he is a UNFA in 2008. I'm guessing Payton still thinks character(style) over talent(substance). Why not take a chance on someone with a greater upside talentwise...

Last edited by BooBirdSaint; 11-19-2007 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: while were at it...
BooBirdSaint is offline  
Old 11-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #14
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 71
Re: Terry Donahues comments

problem is not receivers,it's the running game.bush is not every down back and this line does not run block worth 2 cents.just pull for what we can and hope front office tries to obtain what is needed instead of hoping average players can be coached up to next level
bobcat4u2 is offline  
Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #15
100th Post
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 259
Re: Terry Donahues comments

[QUOTE=bobcat4u2;146779]problem is not receivers,it's the running game.bush is not every down back and this line does not run block worth 2 cents.just pull for what we can and hope front office tries to obtain what is needed instead of hoping average players can be coached up to next level[/QUOTE

I don't see Dallas or Greenbay winning it with a power running game. In case you've missed the news Payton is running the West Coast offense which features the pass. How on earth can you feature the pass when your recever corp reads like the waiver wire. We need a legit number 1 slash 2 threat. Who will that be next year? Colston and... Meachem (rolling on the floor). A high draft pick or FA signing will not be wasted on a stud RB as long a Payton is coaching this team.

Last edited by BooBirdSaint; 11-19-2007 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: Huey P Long
BooBirdSaint is offline  
Old 11-19-2007, 02:31 PM   #16
Prediction Pain
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,082
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Terry Donahues comments

Originally Posted by BooBirdSaint View Post
I'm sure I'll get boo'd for this but the Saints could have had Randy Moss next to Colston this year. Think about that. I think he signed for 3mil with NE and he is a UNFA in 2008. I'm guessing Payton still thinks character(style) over talent(substance). Why not take a chance on someone with a greater upside talentwise...
I may be wrong, but didn't Randy want to play for the Pats? Isn't that why he took so little $$$? I'm not sure we could have signed him.
WhoDat205 is offline  
Old 11-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #17
100th Post
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 259
Re: Terry Donahues comments

Originally Posted by WhoDat205 View Post
I may be wrong, but didn't Randy want to play for the Pats? Isn't that why he took so little $$$? I'm not sure we could have signed him.
Who wouldn't want to play for the Pats!!! Hello SB contender for the last decade. The Pats weren't in love with Randy as they only offered a one year contract (I think Brady restructred his deal to freeup the money) so he will be URFA in 08. Plus Moss was stuck with Aaron Brooks as his QB in Raiderland!!! Thats not a hard choice to make. Mmm Bradey vs who ever the QB of the month is in La La land... All I'm saying is that going into the season with Colston and a group of nothings we should have been looking at all our options at reciever, Moss included. But as usual the driver for this team is character guys(funny for the most part these guys are cheaper...) over impact talent. Funny how things worked out. Pats are undefeated with Moss leading the NFL recevers and were stuck in reverse... See the Pats know how to run a winning franchise.

Last edited by BooBirdSaint; 11-19-2007 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Meachem fan club
BooBirdSaint is offline  
Old 11-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #18
Prediction Pain
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,082
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Terry Donahues comments

Originally Posted by BooBirdSaint View Post
Who wouldn't want to play for the Pats!!! Hello SB contender for the last decade. The Pats weren't in love with Randy as they only offered a one year contract (I think Brady restructred his deal to freeup the money) so he will be URFA in 08. Plus Moss was stuck with Aaron Brooks as his QB in Raiderland!!! Thats not a hard choice to make. Mmm Bradey vs who ever the QB of the month is in La La land... All I'm saying is that going into the season with Colston and a group of nothings we should have been looking at all our options at reciever, Moss included. But as usual the driver for this team is character guys(funny for the most part these guys are cheaper...) over impact talent. Funny how things worked out. Pats are undefeated with Moss leading the NFL recevers and were stuck in reverse... See the Pats know how to run a winning franchise.
I'm not disagreeing with your points, all I'm sayin' is that Moss may not have come to play in NO even if they did court him. Plus, they did at least make an effort to address WR in the Draft, regardless of you feelings on the pick.
WhoDat205 is offline  
Old 11-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #19
100th Post
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 259
Re: Terry Donahues comments

Originally Posted by WhoDat205 View Post
I'm not disagreeing with your points, all I'm sayin' is that Moss may not have come to play in NO even if they did court him. Plus, they did at least make an effort to address WR in the Draft, regardless of you feelings on the pick.
That could very well be the case. But last year this team was the leading offense in the NFL and what reciever would not have licked his chops to come in a play for a passing first team what was lighting it up. We also were viewed as a contender for the SB (preseason) so our sunshine value would have outweighed our negitives (40 years of losing -small market ect). Not saying that we would have payed to get Moss but we could have. In the end its moot as we wouldn't be able to touch him now (think 16-0 & SB vs. maybe 8-8 & no preseason)...
BooBirdSaint is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts