Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Mount Cody..2nd rounder?

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #31
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Mount Cody..2nd rounder?









CantonLegend is offline  
Latest Blogs
Saints: A glimpse of the future Last Blog: 11-19-2014 By: lee909


What i tell you ! !! ! Last Blog: 11-02-2014 By: SAINTstunna


MID TERM ELECTION Last Blog: 10-29-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Old 03-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #32
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,889
Re: Mount Cody..2nd rounder?

Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
i know this is common sense but i feel like its been lost in the thought of drafting defensive linemen

THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE BIG.....the bigger the better

of course they arent supposed to be slobs....but cody proved he isnt a slob in college.....the picture of him isnt going to be the prettiest thing.....the dude is 350 lbs....hes not going to have abs of steel people
How did he prove he wasn't a slob? He was listed at over 360 and played at well over that weight. He was real good in college because a lot of college linemen simply weren't big enough to take care of him.

It's not that I don't think Cody will be a good player in the NFL, I just don't think he'd be the right choice at #32. Here are my reasons:

1) He's a fat slob, and fat slobs don't tend to all of a sudden get their skinny on. He obviously has some motivation right now to lose 15 pounds because he can make millions of dollars. However, once he gets his money, something tells me that he'll go back to his fat-assedness (not that he's really departed from his ways).
2) We can debate all you want, but I'm telling you as simply as I can, a guy who is as big as Cody is fits better in a 3-4 defense. Can he play a 4-3? Probably. But a 4-3 requires a little more speed. A nose tackle in a 3-4 requires a guy who can eat space. If we're going to pay a guy first-round money, I want to make sure he's going to be a good fit for our defense.
3) We just won a Super Bowl, so we obviously don't have too many holes. I say we just build depth and take the best player available. I think there will be some good OLBs there and probably some DEs. I think Cody is a stretch.
TheDeuce is offline  
Old 03-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #33
Merces Letifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,387
Re: Mount Cody..2nd rounder?

Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
a guy who is as big as Cody is fits better in a 3-4 defense. Can he play a 4-3? Probably. But a 4-3 requires a little more speed. A nose tackle in a 3-4 requires a guy who can eat space. If we're going to pay a guy first-round money, I want to make sure he's going to be a good fit for our defense.

ok,I'm a little confused here.. so a guy who can eat space is NOT good in a 4-3? Eating space in the middle of the field is not a good thing in a 4-line but it is in a 3-line? Someone should've told that to Refrigerator...

..and who's these "we" paying first-round money?
Tobias-Reiper is offline  
Old 03-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #34
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,889
Re: Mount Cody..2nd rounder?

Originally Posted by Tobias-Reiper View Post
ok,I'm a little confused here.. so a guy who can eat space is NOT good in a 4-3? Eating space in the middle of the field is not a good thing in a 4-line but it is in a 3-line? Someone should've told that to Refrigerator...

..and who's these "we" paying first-round money?
What part of "he's not AS GOOD in a 4-3 as he'd be in a 3-4" do you not understand? A nose tackle in a 3-4's primary responsibility is to take up blockers in the middle and free up linebackers (ex. Wilfork, Pickett, etc). Defensive tackles in a 4-3 are supposed to be a little more mobile.


"Who's these we paying first-round money"? English please.
TheDeuce is offline  
Old 03-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #35
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Mount Cody..2nd rounder?

in a league where the spread offense dominates(pass offense) a run stuffing DT started for one of the better defenses in the nation

Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
1) He's a fat slob, and fat slobs don't tend to all of a sudden get their skinny on. He obviously has some motivation right now to lose 15 pounds because he can make millions of dollars. However, once he gets his money, something tells me that he'll go back to his fat-assedness (not that he's really departed from his ways).
now i have no argument to prove or disprove that signing a contract will end his motivation.....but what proof do you have that he wont continue to work hard? you dont.....so this is only speculation....and speculation is just like assuming....you know what they say about people that assume stuff

2) We can debate all you want, but I'm telling you as simply as I can, a guy who is as big as Cody is fits better in a 3-4 defense. Can he play a 4-3? Probably. But a 4-3 requires a little more speed. A nose tackle in a 3-4 requires a guy who can eat space. If we're going to pay a guy first-round money, I want to make sure he's going to be a good fit for our defense.
what happened to all the big guys before the 3-4 came into the league? i guess they never had a job right? wrong....the 3-4 is an adaptation of the 4-3 not a complete re-invention

you are tellin me that there isnt a single thing that terrence cody could help us with? now im no doctor...but the 21st ranked run defense isnt going to scare anybody...like i said before.....we know why our pass defense struggled....because jabari greer and tracy porter missed time

well why did our run defense struggle? which leads me to your next point....dont smoke crack

3) We just won a Super Bowl, so we obviously don't have too many holes. I say we just build depth and take the best player available. I think there will be some good OLBs there and probably some DEs. I think Cody is a stretch.
not too many holes? 26th ranked pass defense and 21st ranked rush defense

oh and we lost our starting LB, DE, possibly FS, and we have yet to find a consistant NT to play opposite sedrick ellis

now i know we are the perfect team and cant possibly get any better because we won the super bowl after 44 years of disappointment......but wtf are you talking about

"deal with it or you can go play the saints and get trounced by 30 and you won't have to worry about it."-colin cowherd
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 03-18-2010, 11:35 PM   #36
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Mount Cody..2nd rounder?

Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
What part of "he's not AS GOOD in a 4-3 as he'd be in a 3-4" do you not understand? A nose tackle in a 3-4's primary responsibility is to take up blockers in the middle and free up linebackers (ex. Wilfork, Pickett, etc). Defensive tackles in a 4-3 are supposed to be a little more mobile.


"Who's these we paying first-round money"? English please.
and reggie bush is a running back so he has to run up the middle and take 20 carries per game

a position is not defined by what is written on paper.....a position is defined by the player that plays it and the coach that coaches it

why wouldnt a big guy help in a 4-3 that blitzes as much as a 3-4? after all, that is the main reason that the DTs are so big right?
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 03-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #37
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Mount Cody..2nd rounder?

plus if we draft him we already have a mount cody smiley

CantonLegend is offline  
Old 03-19-2010, 02:03 AM   #38
Where y'at baby
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville via Metry!!!!
Posts: 191
Re: Mount Cody..2nd rounder?

Cody was pretty dominate in college. My problem with him is he wont be able to stay on the field long enough. The guy has to improve his cardio.... for those who have seen "Zombie Land" you will know what I mean when I say.he needs to follow RULE #1....lol

Last edited by FatCitySaint; 03-19-2010 at 02:20 AM..
FatCitySaint is offline  
Old 03-19-2010, 02:22 AM   #39
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: "Little Ole Town in Tejas"
Posts: 7,770
Re: Mount Cody..2nd rounder?

Originally Posted by FatCitySaint View Post
Cody was pretty dominate in college. My problem with him is he wont be able to stay on the field long enough. The guy has to improve his cardio.... for those who have seen "Zombie Land" you will know what I mean when I say.he needs to follow RULE #1....lol
Indeed...im starting a Zombie thread..lol
strato is offline  
Old 03-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #40
Merces Letifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,387
Re: Mount Cody..2nd rounder?

Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
What part of "he's not AS GOOD in a 4-3 as he'd be in a 3-4" do you not understand? A nose tackle in a 3-4's primary responsibility is to take up blockers in the middle and free up linebackers (ex. Wilfork, Pickett, etc). Defensive tackles in a 4-3 are supposed to be a little more mobile.


"Who's these we paying first-round money"? English please.
Sorry. English is my 3rd language. How is it that you say? You are not paying anyone anything.

Here's your argument:
You: "this apple is rotten".
I (using proper first noun here, uh?):"Why do think this apple is rotten?
You: "What part of 'this apple is rotten' you don't understand?"

In other words, what I am asking is: why is it that a tackle in a 4-3 needs to be "a little more mobile"? And what exactly is it you mean by "a little more mobile"? Is it like saying a woman is "a little pregnant"? Or like saying "missed it by that much"?

La neta es chida, pero inalcanzable

Last edited by Tobias-Reiper; 03-19-2010 at 08:38 AM..
Tobias-Reiper is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts