Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

How much money do you think Carl Nicks will get?

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; A Jahari Evans type contract? They are two of the top guards in the league... but that's an insane amount of money invested in our interior line....

Like Tree4Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
Got a problem?
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,173
How much money do you think Carl Nicks will get?

A Jahari Evans type contract?

They are two of the top guards in the league... but that's an insane amount of money invested in our interior line.
papz is offline   Reply With Quote
Latest Blogs
Is this Manning's last Hurrah? Last Blog: 04-16-2014 By: SmashMouth


Landry over Beckham Jr. Last Blog: 04-12-2014 By: joker-saint


Saints Free Agency 2014 Last Blog: 03-11-2014 By: SmashMouth


Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southlake, TX
Posts: 1,654
Originally Posted by papz View Post
A Jahari Evans type contract?

They are two of the top guards in the league... but that's an insane amount of money invested in our interior line.
Papz, until the Saints gave Evans his contract, they had a history of not paying OL. They let a number of good OL players walk in the past. That being said, paying Nicks, and Goody makes sense. They want continuity on the OL. Stinch is a Brees favorite and I do not think he will be replaced this year. Bushrod, imho, can be replaced but will not. If you noticed during the 2010 season, he did receive a lot of help. The short off-season and surgery might not help Brown.

IMHO, the Saints see a 5-year window with Brees and they will do all they can to ensure he has protection...and continuity on the OL helps. I also see Strief as a 5th TE for blocking.

Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over, over, and over again...and expecting a different outcome!
biloxi-indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
I'm an A hole
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Metry
Posts: 1,173
Originally Posted by biloxi-indian View Post
Papz, until the Saints gave Evans his contract, they had a history of not paying OL. They let a number of good OL players walk in the past. That being said, paying Nicks, and Goody makes sense. They want continuity on the OL. Stinch is a Brees favorite and I do not think he will be replaced this year. Bushrod, imho, can be replaced but will not. If you noticed during the 2010 season, he did receive a lot of help. The short off-season and surgery might not help Brown.

IMHO, the Saints see a 5-year window with Brees and they will do all they can to ensure he has protection...and continuity on the OL helps. I also see Strief as a 5th TE for blocking.
pay nicks....yes
goody....no
Speedy Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 10,583
Loomis will find a way to sign Nicks. I believe Papz is right about the 5 year window. We will probably sign a 6 year deal with him. I don't know how much money Goodwin makes but he has been very good so far(not bad for another journeyman) and I can see him getting a 2-3 year deal but his replacement is already in house. So is Bushrods. I wonder if we will retain the same front line and sign these guys long term. I just don't see that happening though. We could return 4 out of 5 starters along the O line and still make it work.
Danno likes this.


World Champion New Orleans Saints - Super Bowl XLIV!
Rugby Saint II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 14,594
Originally Posted by Rugby Saint II View Post
Loomis will find a way to sign Nicks. I believe Papz is right about the 5 year window. We will probably sign a 6 year deal with him. I don't know how much money Goodwin makes but he has been very good so far(not bad for another journeyman) and I can see him getting a 2-3 year deal but his replacement is already in house. So is Bushrods. I wonder if we will retain the same front line and sign these guys long term. I just don't see that happening though. We could return 4 out of 5 starters along the O line and still make it work.
Goodwin made nearly 3 million last season. A tad too much in my opinion but it was an uncapped year. I can see Goodwin take a small cut while Tennant develops.

Nicks will probably get close to what Evans makes. And I think much deserved. I think he's a better O-lineman.

Remember, our O-line is a bit different than the stereotypical one. Brees is exceptional at stepping up into the pocket to avoid the outside rush, and we seldom use 5 to 7 step drops so our interior O-linemen are more important than your average teams' are, and our OT's aren't as important as most teams'.

Brees struggles the most when he gets pressure up the gut. Keeping the interior strong benefits his style of play. I can definitely justify our OG's making more than our OT's simply because of the type of protection that benefits Drew Brees the most.

And if you take that to mean OT's aren't important... well you're an idiot.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Got a problem?
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,173
Just curious what kind of contract everyone thought he would get. I don't have the rankings in front of me but I believe for the most part of the season, Nicks graded out higher than Evans. If fact I recall for the first 8 weeks, he was the highest graded(if not top 5) in the entire league. But just thinking about the money... wow. Times have changed and G's makes as much if not more than T's these days.
papz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 14,594
Originally Posted by papz View Post
Just curious what kind of contract everyone thought he would get. I don't have the rankings in front of me but I believe for the most part of the season, Nicks graded out higher than Evans. If fact I recall for the first 8 weeks, he was the highest graded(if not top 5) in the entire league. But just thinking about the money... wow. Times have changed and G's makes as much if not more than T's these days.
It all goes back to the quick stike, quick release 3-step drop offenses that render the outside rush negligible.

Thats why you'll see DT's start making as much as DE's.

Its also why I think the 4-3 will prove to be slightly better base scheme than the 3-4 over the next few years. Of couse the main deciding factor is the alignees, not the alignment.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,749
Originally Posted by biloxi-indian View Post
Papz, until the Saints gave Evans his contract, they had a history of not paying OL. They let a number of good OL players walk in the past. That being said, paying Nicks, and Goody makes sense. They want continuity on the OL. Stinch is a Brees favorite and I do not think he will be replaced this year. Bushrod, imho, can be replaced but will not. If you noticed during the 2010 season, he did receive a lot of help. The short off-season and surgery might not help Brown.

IMHO, the Saints see a 5-year window with Brees and they will do all they can to ensure he has protection...and continuity on the OL helps. I also see Strief as a 5th TE for blocking.
With the Saints offensive style and Brees quick release, we actually benifit more from the talent coming from the interior of the line as opposed to the edge. I think we will throw the most money at our guards, in our system they are more important to Brees than the tackles. Bushrod is replaceable and we could actually see us replace him for someone cheaper. I think we will keep Bushrod though. Anyhow that is the reason for the Saints spending more on guards than they historically have.

Edit:
Sorry Danno, I need to start reading the entire thread before I post.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #9
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 10,828
Blog Entries: 5
It all starts up front.

Would Emmit have the rushing record behind a lesser line? nope

Would a lesser QB than Aikman won a superbowl or two behind that line? Likely yes

You gotta have the skill players no doubt, but they ain't worth jack without those guys up front. Pay 'em all I say...
saintfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #10
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 16,647
Blog Entries: 27
He'll get at least one more dollar than I make .. maybe more!!!

SmashMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts