New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com (http://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   Saints (http://blackandgold.com/saints/)
-   -   The annual 3-4 switch post (http://blackandgold.com/saints/40426-annual-3-4-switch-post.html)

Danno 01-15-2012 01:35 PM

The annual 3-4 switch post
 
Every year someone suggests it, and every year I've laughed at it.

Our top players on defense were 100% suited for 4-3 defense. Will Smith, John Vilma, Sedrick Ellis would all be a fish out of water in a 3-4.

But I wonder if any of those guys will even be with us in 2012.

Looking at youth, we have a lot of young guys suited for a 3-4. Galette, Jordan, and Martez would fit nicely in a 3-4.

I heard the name Mike Nolan rumored to be in the DC mix. He's turned defenses around quickly, and he's strictly a 3-4 guy.

If we hear Mike Nolan a bit more in the coming days, look for the 3-4 switch to finally happen, and say goodbye to Smith, Vilma and Ellis.

If we hear Del Rio and Spags more and more, we'll likely stay in our 4-3.

Either way we need 3 or 4 acquisitions along the front 7 to improve this defense substantially.

hagan714 01-15-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danno (Post 370118)
Either way we need 3 or 4 acquisitions along the front 7 to improve this defense substantially.


bingo we have a winner ;)

Halo 01-15-2012 01:49 PM

3-4... man we barely have the personnel to put 3 linebackers out there right now. If we moved from the 4-3 to the 3-4, it may take 2 years of reloading and drafting to get the right personnel in place.

I think Del Rio or Spags are best fit, with Spags my preference. We need VETERAN upgrades at safety/corner, linebacker and d-line.

|Mitch| 01-15-2012 02:55 PM

I say we get the coordinator first and then worry about the details...

Danno 01-15-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halo (Post 370120)
3-4... man we barely have the personnel to put 3 linebackers out there right now. If we moved from the 4-3 to the 3-4, it may take 2 years of reloading and drafting to get the right personnel in place.

I think Del Rio or Spags are best fit, with Spags my preference. We need VETERAN upgrades at safety/corner, linebacker and d-line.

We only have 1 LB that can play the 4-3, and he's getting old.

My point was since we need 3 or 4 players in the front 7, why not target 3-4 players.

We need the same amount of upgrades regardless of scheme.

Rugby Saint II 01-16-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danno (Post 370167)
We only have 1 LB that can play the 4-3, and he's getting old.

My point was since we need 3 or 4 players in the front 7, why not target 3-4 players.

We need the same amount of upgrades regardless of scheme.

Huh! I never looked at it that way before. The FO needs to make their decision about coaches(DC as well as some Asst. coaches maybe Dline) and then we can set course and start sailing into next year.

jeanpierre 01-16-2012 09:30 PM

I brought up the 3-4 comment and it is because of the younger, recent acquisitions...

And as was rightfully pointed out, many of the YOUNGER acquisitions would transition nicely to a 3-4 defense...

There is considerable salary room tied up in Vilma, Smith, and Ellis...

Said move would free up money for acquisitions and possible draft picks...

And as has also been pointed out, many of our linebackers suck as it is and would have to be replaced...

Jo-Lonn would be a very good Middle Linebacker with less responsibilities among four linebackers...

Franklin has the size to be a great nose tackle for the 3-4, if retained...

Tom Johnson also has the size to transition for the 3-4 as well...

But would you want your better athletes at LB or DT?

That is one of the fundamental arguments in debate of the front seven alignment...

Considering the acquisitions, Williams departure, it is an appropriate time to discuss the type of defense as it could influence the selection of the new defensive coordinator...

Euphoria 01-16-2012 09:32 PM

Vilma was a no body in a 3-4

Euphoria 01-16-2012 09:33 PM

Our DE's and OLB shouldn't even be on an NFL field.

They'd be back up on most NFL teams let alone starters in a 3-4.

|Mitch| 01-16-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphoria (Post 370707)
Our DE's and OLB shouldn't even be on an NFL field.

They'd be back up on most NFL teams let alone starters in a 3-4.

Martez Wilson has shown he can be a starter; and he has the speed and size to play in a 3-4 I think...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com