New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com (http://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   Saints (http://blackandgold.com/saints/)
-   -   Shaun Rogers ranked 7th (http://blackandgold.com/saints/41495-shaun-rogers-ranked-7th.html)

WhoDat!656 02-25-2012 06:56 PM

Shaun Rogers ranked 7th
 
Ranking the 2012 Free Agents: Interior Defensive-Line | ProFootballFocus.com

jcp026 02-25-2012 07:32 PM

Calais Campbell is the only guy I'd be interested in.

FinSaint 02-25-2012 10:06 PM

I don't know... there's something about Garay that makes we wanna see him wear the b&g uniform next year... another former Chargers' FA signing with the Saints. ;-)

SloMotion 02-26-2012 05:33 AM

This is how stats can be deceptive ... he ranks 7th when you skew the list among free agents, but he'll rank further down on a list of the league's defensive interior lineman ... he's the Saints highest rated defensive player, but averages only 20 snaps a game ... a big guy to clog up the middle, but I ga-ron-tee you give him a juicy contract he'll be a bust ... been there, seen it with this guy.

WhoDat!656 02-26-2012 07:05 AM

Been there,done that.

Cue the beautiful bean footage of Charles Grant!!

halloween 65 02-26-2012 08:52 AM

Why would we resign him or Franklin, there was absolutely NO penetration up the middle at all last year.

FinSaint 02-26-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halloween 65 (Post 380419)
Why would we resign him or Franklin, there was absolutely NO penetration up the middle at all last year.


I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wouldn't mind it if they re-signed Franklin to be a run-stuffing DT, because he does that job well. Also, he is the younger of the two, and to me he seemed to be more motivated in playing "within the system" than Rogers did. Of course, re-signing him would have to be paired with the Saints either having a more pass rushing DT in the rotation for subbing Franklin out when the situation requires it or to pair him with a predominantly pass rushing DT (i.e. not Ellis).

Franklin had a $4M salary last season (base: $1.25M + signing bonus: $2.75M), which was the best deal he could find in the FA market - actually the only other offer he received except for returning to SF. Therefore, after the average season he had with the Saints, he might be willing to re-sign for less money because of the low demand for his services.

And yes I did say "average" season, because he is not a pass rushing DL, and if the Saints picked him up to be one - they didn't do their homework. He was very good in SF being the NT in a 3-4 base system where his main job was to stuff the middle, so that the great OLBs of SF could focus their attention on the outside threats and the pass rush.

He was much better in the 3-4 base, and that is why I think that if he does receive offers - they'll probably be from teams running the 3-4 defense and looking for a stout NT to anchor their D-line.

Rugby Saint II 02-26-2012 01:41 PM

Surely there's a rookie or UDFA out there that can do it cheaper. Then we use that money to help fix our defense. Give a big fat guy the league minimum and then go get another one for the rotation. We're still saving money and can afford to upgrade the LB'ers in free agency.

FinSaint 02-26-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugby Saint II (Post 380474)
Surely there's a rookie or UDFA out there that can do it cheaper. Then we use that money to help fix our defense. Give a big fat guy the league minimum and then go get another one for the rotation. We're still saving money and can afford to upgrade the LB'ers in free agency.

I seriously doubt that there's an UDFA out there with better run stopping ability than Franklin, definitely cheaper ones, but not as good.

If the Saints are lucky, Franklin could be had for as little as $2.5-3M for a single season, and for that price he'd be really good value for the money - that's like 2% of the cap.

halloween 65 02-26-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinSaint (Post 380426)
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wouldn't mind it if they re-signed Franklin to be a run-stuffing DT, because he does that job well. Also, he is the younger of the two, and to me he seemed to be more motivated in playing "within the system" than Rogers did. Of course, re-signing him would have to be paired with the Saints either having a more pass rushing DT in the rotation for subbing Franklin out when the situation requires it or to pair him with a predominantly pass rushing DT (i.e. not Ellis).

Franklin had a $4M salary last season (base: $1.25M + signing bonus: $2.75M), which was the best deal he could find in the FA market - actually the only other offer he received except for returning to SF. Therefore, after the average season he had with the Saints, he might be willing to re-sign for less money because of the low demand for his services.

And yes I did say "average" season, because he is not a pass rushing DL, and if the Saints picked him up to be one - they didn't do their homework. He was very good in SF being the NT in a 3-4 base system where his main job was to stuff the middle, so that the great OLBs of SF could focus their attention on the outside threats and the pass rush.

He was much better in the 3-4 base, and that is why I think that if he does receive offers - they'll probably be from teams running the 3-4 defense and looking for a stout NT to anchor their D-line.

I would let a 3/4 defense have him since we are a 4/3, he did not do well in our 4/3 and someone who could excel could earn that spot for that money. I had high hopes for the both of them, well that was all it amounted to was hope, not production.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com