Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Colston restructures his contract

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by westbankdaze Thanks but I'm even more confused. So he does make less money this year but he is promised more the next - as long as he doesn't get hurt? I don't see why if I was ...

Like Tree11Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #31
Threaded by Danno
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 16,447

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

Originally Posted by westbankdaze View Post
Thanks but I'm even more confused. So he does make less money this year but he is promised more the next - as long as he doesn't get hurt? I don't see why if I was a player I would want to restructure. I thought it was all about getting paid now before the possibility of injury?
The guaranteed money he gets right away. Think of it as a salary advance. He gets more money now, but the team can spread the cap hit out.

In the example I showed, he already got a 10 million dollar check for signing the contract.

He now gets another 6.4 million dollar check without playing a down.

Its the same total amount, he just gets more of it right away.
Views: 3317
Latest Blogs
2015 Saints Bye Week Draft Last Blog: 10-16-2014 By: hagan714


"IRONY" Last Blog: 10-01-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Sainity Zone 9-30-14 Hail Last Blog: 09-30-2014 By: xan


Old 03-02-2013, 12:49 AM   #32
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Watford England
Posts: 3,423
Originally Posted by westbankdaze View Post
Thanks but I'm even more confused. So he does make less money this year but he is promised more the next - as long as he doesn't get hurt? I don't see why if I was a player I would want to restructure. I thought it was all about getting paid now before the possibility of injury?
The simplest way I could put it is.
The player reduces his yearly salary for a large chunk upfront,the team is allowed to spread the cost off that chunk over the players contract.

So you agree say a $100ml 5 year contract and get 40ml as a signing bonus.Your salary is no longer $100ml over 5 years but 60ml as you have allready been paid the rest.

Its a way off spreading the cost over a longer period of time.Players would rather have the money now than run the risk of getting cut at a later date and not getting as much.

"Two receivers to the left, Garcon to the right. Manning in the shotgun, puts Collie in motion. Looks in his direction...it's picked off! It's picked off! It's Tracy Porter again! He's runnin' free! He's gonna go all the way!
lee909 is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 03:20 AM   #33
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 4,391
Re: Colston restructures his contract

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
The guaranteed money he gets right away. Think of it as a salary advance. He gets more money now, but the team can spread the cap hit out.

In the example I showed, he already got a 10 million dollar check for signing the contract.

He now gets another 6.4 million dollar check without playing a down.

Its the same total amount, he just gets more of it right away.
And therefore because he gets more of it right away, that 6.4 mil we have just handed him gets subtracted from the salary cap figure, is that correct?
So colston has saved us 6.4 mil on the cap by restructuring and taking it now?
dizzle88 is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #34
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Posts: 3,017
Re: Colston restructures his contract

Originally Posted by dizzle88 View Post
...So colston has saved us 6.4 mil on the cap by restructuring and taking it now?
This year
UK_WhoDat is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #35
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 16,447
Re: Colston restructures his contract

Originally Posted by dizzle88 View Post
And therefore because he gets more of it right away, that 6.4 mil we have just handed him gets subtracted from the salary cap figure, is that correct?
So colston has saved us 6.4 mil on the cap by restructuring and taking it now?
My example wasn't Colstons numbers, just an example of how it works.

Its simply converting yearly salary (which he only gets if he makes the team) to Bonus money, which he gets regardless of whether he makes the team or not. And he gets it right now.

The team can now take the bonus portion and spread it out evenly over the life of the contract.

We're lowering the cap hit now by raising it later. A lot can happen later, like big salaries coming off the books, expensive players being replaced by cheaper ones, or the yearly cap going up.

Thats why I feel we need to start drafting better. Draft picks are cheap.

We also need to keep signing mid-tier free-agents. They won't break the bank and sometimes they work out very well (Goodwin, DLP, Greer, D. Thomas, Hargrove, Sharper etc...)

What will kill us are high-priced free-agents that don't pan out. The Drew Brees signings are definitely the exception, not the rule.
Danno is online now  
Old 03-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #36
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,934
Re: Colston restructures his contract

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
We're lowering the cap hit now by raising it later. A lot can happen later, like big salaries coming off the books, expensive players being replaced by cheaper ones, or the yearly cap going up.

Thats why I feel we need to start drafting better. Draft picks are cheap.

We also need to keep signing mid-tier free-agents. They won't break the bank and sometimes they work out very well (Goodwin, DLP, Greer, D. Thomas, Hargrove, Sharper etc...)


FinSaint is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/55826-colston-restructures-his-contract.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Colston restructures his contract This thread Refback 02-27-2013 09:43 PM 8
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 02-27-2013 06:23 PM 1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts