Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

2016 Saints Free Agency

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by hagan714 OL and DL is were it is at. the rest will work itself out. DT Nick Fairley , St. Louis Rams I could see him taking a 4 yr deal @ 5M. Kind of steep for ...

Like Tree280Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 07:35 AM   #131
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 4,985
Re: 2016 Saints Free Agency

Originally Posted by hagan714 View Post
OL and DL is were it is at. the rest will work itself out.

DT Nick Fairley, St. Louis Rams
I could see him taking a 4 yr deal @ 5M. Kind of steep for a inconsistent player however I'd take Fairley over any rookie DT in the upcoming draft.
K Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:41 AM   #132
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Watford England
Posts: 6,094
Blog Entries: 1
Re: 2016 Saints Free Agency

Just read a list on cheaper free agents. Might be worth a look

Ian Williams, DT, San Francisco 49ers

Ian Williams, DT, San Francisco 49ers
San Francisco 49ers defensive tackle Ian Williams became a 16-game starter for the first time in his five-year NFL career this past season, and he certainly made the most of his opportunity.

The Notre Dame product racked up 65 tackles, 1.0 sacks, one pass defended and a forced fumble. Pro Football Focus rated him ninth overall among all defensive tackles for the season.

At 6'1" and 305 pounds, Williams possesses the heavy, compact frame that teams traditionally look for in an anchor nose tackle. His play in 2015 proved that Williams has the skills to excel as a regular starter. However, he isn't likely to command the attention given to other pending free agents at the position.

Other defensive tackles scheduled to hit the open market include the Detroit Lions' Haloti Ngata, the St. Louis Rams' Nick Fairley, Terrance Knighton of the Washington Redskins and the Green Bay Packers' B.J. Raji.

Williams will rightfully deserve some sort of raise in his next contract, as his 2015 base salary was a mere $1 million. However, the one-time undrafted free agent has worked his way up the NFL ranks, is just 26 years old and could potentially anchor a defensive front for several more years.

He ultimately should prove to be a bargain.

"Two receivers to the left, Garcon to the right. Manning in the shotgun, puts Collie in motion. Looks in his direction...it's picked off! It's picked off! It's Tracy Porter again! He's runnin' free! He's gonna go all the way!
lee909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:28 AM   #133
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 11,952
Blog Entries: 23
Re: 2016 Saints Free Agency

Originally Posted by lee909 View Post
Just read a list on cheaper free agents. Might be worth a look

Ian Williams, DT, San Francisco 49ers

Ian Williams, DT, San Francisco 49ers
San Francisco 49ers defensive tackle Ian Williams became a 16-game starter for the first time in his five-year NFL career this past season, and he certainly made the most of his opportunity.

The Notre Dame product racked up 65 tackles, 1.0 sacks, one pass defended and a forced fumble. Pro Football Focus rated him ninth overall among all defensive tackles for the season.

At 6'1" and 305 pounds, Williams possesses the heavy, compact frame that teams traditionally look for in an anchor nose tackle. His play in 2015 proved that Williams has the skills to excel as a regular starter. However, he isn't likely to command the attention given to other pending free agents at the position.

Other defensive tackles scheduled to hit the open market include the Detroit Lions' Haloti Ngata, the St. Louis Rams' Nick Fairley, Terrance Knighton of the Washington Redskins and the Green Bay Packers' B.J. Raji.

Williams will rightfully deserve some sort of raise in his next contract, as his 2015 base salary was a mere $1 million. However, the one-time undrafted free agent has worked his way up the NFL ranks, is just 26 years old and could potentially anchor a defensive front for several more years.

He ultimately should prove to be a bargain.
One issue I had with Williams was injury history, but he seemed to be fine after an ankle injury from a dirty cut-block in a game against the S'hawks...

It'd be an interesting comparison of Damon Harrison vs Ian Williams; still think Harrison is the great unsung hero on that Jets gang green defensive line and would be awesome in black and gold...
jeanpierre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #134
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 11,952
Blog Entries: 23
Re: 2016 Saints Free Agency

New Orleans Saints sign former Northwestern wide receiver Kyle Prater to reserve-future contract - Inside NU


Now this signing intrigues the hell outta me...
hagan714 likes this.
jeanpierre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:21 PM   #135
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Alexandria, La
Posts: 10,051
Re: 2016 Saints Free Agency

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
Now this signing intrigues the hell outta me...
He was signed last year, but was cut during the preseason... Why is this year any different?
|Mitch| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #136
LB Mentallity
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,788
Blog Entries: 51
Re: 2016 Saints Free Agency

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
New Orleans Saints sign former Northwestern wide receiver Kyle Prater to reserve-future contract - Inside NU


Now this signing intrigues the hell outta me...
I look at the Kyle Prater as TE/Hback player.

I am expecting the saints to turn in the towel on some of these UDFA experiments we have been keeping around for multiple years. Nickles and dimes I know but a few have been here long enough to make a jump in salary.

Bring on the cheap new blood. out with the slightly more expense, slightly aged blood. such is the art of dealing with a cap strapped year.

If the saints do the unthinkable and pick up extra picks I am really liking round 4. some solid ball players should be on the board. I love round 4 and 5. solid history of getting good quality depth for team

"We may have lost the game, but you'll be hurting tomorrow." Doug Atkins
hagan714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #137
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 11,952
Blog Entries: 23
Re: 2016 Saints Free Agency

Originally Posted by |Mitch| View Post
He was signed last year, but was cut during the preseason... Why is this year any different?
Coach Payton's comments about him last year...being a tough cut...once he gets healthy...
jeanpierre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #138
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 11,952
Blog Entries: 23
Re: 2016 Saints Free Agency

Originally Posted by hagan714 View Post
I look at the Kyle Prater as TE/Hback player.
Really? Did he gain weight? Though he was a long lanky type, like Marques Colston...

jeanpierre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #139
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,182
Re: 2016 Saints Free Agency

Malik Jackson wants 12mil per year. Vinny Curry got 9,6mil per year from Philly.
brees84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:47 PM   #140
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 11,952
Blog Entries: 23
Re: 2016 Saints Free Agency

New York Jets Rumors: Damon Harrison Seeking Big Deal

...According to Rich Cimini of ESPN.com, the Jets are going to do what it takes to re-sign Harrison, who will be looking for an annually salary north of $5 million per season.

Last season, Vince Wilfork and Terrance Knighton made $4.45 million, and Harrison’s new deal will likely top that.

Harrison doesn’t get to the quarterback very often, but he has been a force in the middle for the Jets’ defense the past few seasons, and is one of the main reasons why the Jets have had a great rushing defense.

The Jets had an excellent defensive line in 2015, but it has to be one of their top priorities to keep both Harrison and Wilkerson on the team long-term...

“Your best?!? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home (with) the prom queen.” - Sean Connery in The Rock
jeanpierre is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/76199-2016-saints-free-agency.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest Rafael Bush News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 01-12-2016 04:24 PM 1
The Latest Michael Hoomanawanui News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 01-11-2016 01:37 PM 1
The Latest Austin Johnson News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 01-11-2016 01:23 PM 1
The Latest Matt Flynn News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 01-10-2016 11:10 AM 2
The Latest Tim Lelito News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 01-09-2016 06:46 PM 1
The Latest Khiry Robinson News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 01-09-2016 07:19 AM 1
The Latest NFL News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 01-09-2016 06:35 AM 1
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 01-09-2016 05:46 AM 7
2016 Saints Free Agency This thread Refback 01-09-2016 05:10 AM 4


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts