Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

New Orleans Saints select Sheldon Rankins in 2016 NFL Draft

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; okay I see mixed but mostly good reads on our no. 1 pick. hes not what I liked at 1 but i'm happy on the pick, ive been looking at the film and stats and I'm pleased. if anyone was ...

Like Tree79Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2016, 04:22 PM   #61
Threaded by st thomas
Site Donor
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lafayette
Posts: 4,191

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

okay I see mixed but mostly good reads on our no. 1 pick. hes not what I liked at 1 but i'm happy on the pick, ive been looking at the film and stats and I'm pleased. if anyone was following my pick for no. 1, I wished for o-line, yes o=line and I yapped about giving brees that pocket of yesteryear when he had that 1 more second to slash a defensive backfield to pieces. if this o-line of 2015 could have done that. we average 7 more points a game in the least, meaning we are cruising into playoffs and not praying to get there. but for this 1st round pick with tunsel still there check me hell yes.
hagan714 likes this.
Views: 3621
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #62
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,447
Blog Entries: 2
Re: New Orleans Saints select Sheldon Rankins in 2016 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
True, if he was 10 pounds heavier he'd have been a top 5 pick.

Only one DT had graded out higher over the last 2 seasons than Rankins, Aaron Donald, who happens to be 1" shorter and 15 pounds lighter than Rankins.
True enough. I didn't say anything about his weight, though. He's not a run stuffer (not to say he can't help there any), he's more of a pass rusher. La'roi Glover was undersized, and had some really great years with the Saints, but also played along side DT's like Wayne Martin and Norman Hand. He didn't do much after he left the Saints. Aaron Donald, as good as he is, has played with some really good defensive linemen, as well.

So I'm not knocking Rankins, and I've stated that a few times. I just firmly believe in having strong interior linemen. Not just quick guys. They've brought in some people who have a lot to prove at that position, but hopefully they will do the job. I'm sick of watching RB's jog through there, year after year.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:51 PM   #63
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 2,552
Re: New Orleans Saints select Sheldon Rankins in 2016 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
True enough. I didn't say anything about his weight, though. He's not a run stuffer (not to say he can't help there any), he's more of a pass rusher. La'roi Glover was undersized, and had some really great years with the Saints, but also played along side DT's like Wayne Martin and Norman Hand. He didn't do much after he left the Saints. Aaron Donald, as good as he is, has played with some really good defensive linemen, as well.

So I'm not knocking Rankins, and I've stated that a few times. I just firmly believe in having strong interior linemen. Not just quick guys. They've brought in some people who have a lot to prove at that position, but hopefully they will do the job. I'm sick of watching RB's jog through there, year after year.
Just curious, where did you get that Rankins isn't a run stuffer? Most of the scouting reports I've read say he's a natural run stuffer.

"IN OUR VIEW: Rankins is one of the better run defenders in this draft class and continues to grow as a pass rusher. - CBS Sports scouting report

"An explosive gap shooter with power and a strong base for run defense, Rankins is a complete defensive tackle - Rotoworld

"Strengths:
Three-down starter
Good run defender
A burst to close
Strong
Tough to move
Played a variety of techniques
Powerful bull rush
Active hands
Pad level
Maintains his gap in run defense
- WalterFootball

And I've read many more.

Sheldon Rankins Draft Profile
Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...dl-louisville/
2016 NFL draft: Sheldon Rankins scouting report
Recent news on Sheldon Rankins - Louisville Cardinals - Rotoworld.com
WalterFootball.com: 2016 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Sheldon Rankins

Most of the scouting reports say the same thing, he's a run stuffer with the potential of being an effective pass rusher. So, I'm curious why you say he's not.
Utah_Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #64
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 21,172
Re: New Orleans Saints select Sheldon Rankins in 2016 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
True enough. I didn't say anything about his weight, though. He's not a run stuffer (not to say he can't help there any), he's more of a pass rusher. La'roi Glover was undersized, and had some really great years with the Saints, but also played along side DT's like Wayne Martin and Norman Hand. He didn't do much after he left the Saints. Aaron Donald, as good as he is, has played with some really good defensive linemen, as well.

So I'm not knocking Rankins, and I've stated that a few times. I just firmly believe in having strong interior linemen. Not just quick guys. They've brought in some people who have a lot to prove at that position, but hopefully they will do the job. I'm sick of watching RB's jog through there, year after year.
Why do people keep saying that. He was probably one of the best run stuffing DTs in the draft.

COMPARES TO: Kawann Short, DT, Carolina Panthers - Although he has the skill-set that supersedes scheme, Rankins is ideally suited as a three-technique in a four-man front, fitting a similar role as Short in Carolina.

IN OUR VIEW: Rankins is one of the better run defenders in this draft class and continues to grow as a pass rusher. He entered Senior Bowl week with first-round grades and he only helped himself there with a dominating week.

Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #65
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 5,520
Blog Entries: 1
Re: New Orleans Saints select Sheldon Rankins in 2016 NFL Draft

By adding a talented Rankins on the dline, it should help our run defense tremendously.

If you can effectively stop the run, offenses become one dimensional.
K Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #66
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 21,172
Re: New Orleans Saints select Sheldon Rankins in 2016 NFL Draft

By comparison...

Pro-Bowl interior linemen
Sheldon Rankins 6-1, 300
Aaron Donald 6-0, 285
Geno Atkins 6-1, 300
Jurrell Casey 6-1, 305
Kyle Williams 6-1, 303
Kawann Short 6-3, 315
Gerald McCoy 6-4, 300
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #67
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 3,319
Re: New Orleans Saints select Sheldon Rankins in 2016 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by Utah_Saint View Post
Just curious, where did you get that Rankins isn't a run stuffer? Most of the scouting reports I've read say he's a natural run stuffer.

"IN OUR VIEW: Rankins is one of the better run defenders in this draft class and continues to grow as a pass rusher. - CBS Sports scouting report

"An explosive gap shooter with power and a strong base for run defense, Rankins is a complete defensive tackle - Rotoworld

"Strengths:
Three-down starter
Good run defender
A burst to close
Strong
Tough to move
Played a variety of techniques
Powerful bull rush
Active hands
Pad level
Maintains his gap in run defense
- WalterFootball

And I've read many more.

Sheldon Rankins Draft Profile
Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...dl-louisville/
2016 NFL draft: Sheldon Rankins scouting report
Recent news on Sheldon Rankins - Louisville Cardinals - Rotoworld.com
WalterFootball.com: 2016 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Sheldon Rankins

Most of the scouting reports say the same thing, he's a run stuffer with the potential of being an effective pass rusher. So, I'm curious why you say he's not.
He clearly doesn't know as much as he believes he knows.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #68
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,447
Blog Entries: 2
Re: New Orleans Saints select Sheldon Rankins in 2016 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by Utah_Saint View Post
Just curious, where did you get that Rankins isn't a run stuffer? Most of the scouting reports I've read say he's a natural run stuffer.

"IN OUR VIEW: Rankins is one of the better run defenders in this draft class and continues to grow as a pass rusher. - CBS Sports scouting report

"An explosive gap shooter with power and a strong base for run defense, Rankins is a complete defensive tackle - Rotoworld

"Strengths:
Three-down starter
Good run defender
A burst to close
Strong
Tough to move
Played a variety of techniques
Powerful bull rush
Active hands
Pad level
Maintains his gap in run defense
- WalterFootball

And I've read many more.

Sheldon Rankins Draft Profile
Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...dl-louisville/
2016 NFL draft: Sheldon Rankins scouting report
Recent news on Sheldon Rankins - Louisville Cardinals - Rotoworld.com
WalterFootball.com: 2016 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Sheldon Rankins

Most of the scouting reports say the same thing, he's a run stuffer with the potential of being an effective pass rusher. So, I'm curious why you say he's not.
I never said he COULDN'T stop the run. I made a point of putting that in parenthesis, before one of you got butt hurt about my comment. I simply do not view him as a true run stuffer. Everything I've seen shows him shooting the gap and getting after the QB (or running back). That's a little harder to do at the next level. He doesn't strike me as a true lane clogger, and I don't believe that's what they drafted him to do. That does not mean he can't stop the run at all. He's probably better at it then anyone we've had recently. I think he was drafted as an "effective" two way player, and I think that's what he'll be.

This might be difficult for some of you to believe, but I base very little of my opinions on what I read. I'm not a scout any more than the rest of you, and I'm not here to impress you with my knowledge, or what you and others might perceive as my lack thereof. But I'm fairly adept in my own perceptions. I recognize the fact that I could just as easily be wrong.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #69
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,447
Blog Entries: 2
Re: New Orleans Saints select Sheldon Rankins in 2016 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
By comparison...

Pro-Bowl interior linemen
Sheldon Rankins 6-1, 300
Aaron Donald 6-0, 285
Geno Atkins 6-1, 300
Jurrell Casey 6-1, 305
Kyle Williams 6-1, 303
Kawann Short 6-3, 315
Gerald McCoy 6-4, 300
What is that comparison supposed to prove? Some of those guys are pass rushers, some are run stuffers, and some are both. Being selected to the pro bowl means very little anymore.

You are still hung up on height, which was never part of anything I had to say.
burningmetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #70
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,447
Blog Entries: 2
Re: New Orleans Saints select Sheldon Rankins in 2016 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
He clearly doesn't know as much as he believes he knows.
You clearly have no idea how to do anything but criticize other posters. You can't prove one thing I said is wrong. You only have your own opinion, which is not in line with mine. I don't mind others disagreeing with me, though I will obviously defend my points. But you? You just wait for every opportunity to say something snarky. Maybe if you spent a little more time thinking of something meaningful to say, people might respect you more.
burningmetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/77774-new-orleans-saints-select-sheldon-rankins-2016-nfl-draft.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
New Orleans Saints select Sheldon Rankins in 2016 NFL Draft This thread Refback 04-29-2016 07:11 AM 1
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 04-28-2016 11:14 PM 6


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts