Register All Albums FAQ Community Experience
Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

There is hope!!!

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Reason For Hope: Like every other Saints fan, I was deflated by the selection of Will Smith. Not only was I deflated, but also the failure to address the cornerback position made me second-guess every other selection…. After having two ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2004, 10:40 AM   #1
Rookie

There is hope!!!

Reason For Hope:

Like every other Saints fan, I was deflated by the selection of Will Smith. Not only was I deflated, but also the failure to address the cornerback position made me second-guess every other selection…. After having two full weeks to sit on these selections, I want to say that there is hope. I still don’t think that our front office is the best thing around but there is hope.

Lets take a trip back in time……… The year is 2000.

Our defense is ranked #2 in the league.

Our d-line consists of Johnson, Hand, Glover, and Howard (who was then a rookie).

Keep in mind we had the #2 defense in the league.

Now lets remember who patrolled the secondary.

The irreplaceable Fred Weary.
The incomparable Kevin Mathis
And the world renowned Darren Perry

The only thing we could hang our hat on was Sammy Knight.

Ladies and Gentlemen there is hope!!!

The Will Smith kid is a top 10 talent. If the corners and LB’s that we coveted were not there, why not take him? If you can add a top 10 talent to further solidify your defensive front four, why not?

Remember, that same year the Carolina Panthers were 1-15. Common knowledge would lead you to believe that they needed some major offensive weapons to turn their team around.

They were 1-15 (for crying out loud)!!!!!

With the 2nd pick in the draft they selected a DE (we all know who he is).

Now how is a DE going to turn around a 1-15 team?

We’ll that year that finished 7-9.

The next year they went to the Super Bowl. I know that it wasn’t all on Peppers, but anyone with a pennies worth of football knowledge knows that there team was run by their D-line.

I’m not putting Smith in the same league as Peppers; I’m focusing more on the importance of the position.

Ladies and gentlemen, there is hope!

Think back to the 2000 Saints. No one ever complained about the corners because we didn’t have to. With a dominant front four everything else falls into place.

Honestly, who’s Reggie Howard and Ricky Manning without Carolina's front four?
Who’s Ronde Barber and Kelly without Tampa’s front four?

Ladies and gentlemen, there is hope!

Black and Gold for Life!!!!!