Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints > NFL

17-game season is coming in 2021

this is a discussion within the NFL Community Forum; Twitter...

Like Tree8Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2021, 08:55 PM   #1
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 38,080
Blog Entries: 39
17-game season is coming in 2021

jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:23 AM   #2
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gonzales, LA
Posts: 1,113
Re: 17-game season is coming in 2021

Yeah, we knew that was coming. I'm expecting them to eliminate kickoffs next. It seems whenever they talk about an idea just being discussed, it means they are doing to do it, it's just a matter of time.
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:35 AM   #3
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,724
Blog Entries: 3
Re: 17-game season is coming in 2021

Ridiculous. Kill the players. 16 is nice, even number. Season goes Aug until after NYDay . Long enough.
OldMaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:51 AM   #4
Hu Dat!
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,262
Blog Entries: 7
Re: 17-game season is coming in 2021

I'd have less problem with a longer regular season if they'd expand the rosters. At least toward the end of the season like MLB does, so that teams can try out some younger players and not wear down the vets.
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:43 PM   #5
Site Donor MONTHLY
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 19,070
Blog Entries: 45
Re: 17-game season is coming in 2021

Originally Posted by neugey View Post
I'd have less problem with a longer regular season if they'd expand the rosters. At least toward the end of the season like MLB does, so that teams can try out some younger players and not wear down the vets.
And... they need to expand the salary cap!
Adding games means teams probably need to add roster spots and be able to pay them. Adding games means teams really need a solid backup QB, an extra RB, extra depth all around.
neugey and Boston Saint like this.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:25 PM   #6
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 28,965
Blog Entries: 29
Re: 17-game season is coming in 2021

Originally Posted by Halo View Post
And... they need to expand the salary cap!
Adding games means teams probably need to add roster spots and be able to pay them. Adding games means teams really need a solid backup QB, an extra RB, extra depth all around.
Or pay the elite players less to accommodate said Players.
jeanpierre and K Major like this.
SmashMouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:22 PM   #7
Site Donor MONTHLY
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 19,070
Blog Entries: 45
Re: 17-game season is coming in 2021

Originally Posted by SmashMouth View Post
Or pay the elite players less to accommodate said Players.
How about negotiating a REAL salary cap - like classify players as tier 1, 2, 3.
Tier 1 = Elite - Max Salary: 20 million
Tier 2 = Top Shelf - Max Salary: 10 million
Tier 3 = Spicy - Max Salary: 5 million
Base Salary - Max: 1 million
Mild = Practice Squad: 250k

Sumptin like dat!
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:46 AM   #8
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 28,965
Blog Entries: 29
Re: 17-game season is coming in 2021

Originally Posted by stickman View Post
Yeah, we knew that was coming. I'm expecting them to eliminate kickoffs next. It seems whenever they talk about an idea just being discussed, it means they are doing to do it, it's just a matter of time.
Yes, the continued Wussification of the game.

Originally Posted by Halo View Post
How about negotiating a REAL salary cap - like classify players as tier 1, 2, 3.
Tier 1 = Elite - Max Salary: 20 million
Tier 2 = Top Shelf - Max Salary: 10 million
Tier 3 = Spicy - Max Salary: 5 million
Base Salary - Max: 1 million
Mild = Practice Squad: 250k

Sumptin like dat!
Old school foosball players went both ways and had smaller rosters... also played fewer games.

Salary cap constriction for one year, then we'll see. At any rate, the cap is way more than what Benson paid for the team when he bough it from Mecom. Ridiculous, if you ask me.
SmashMouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:21 AM   #9
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 12,473
Re: 17-game season is coming in 2021

Originally Posted by OldMaid View Post
Ridiculous. Kill the players. 16 is nice, even number. Season goes Aug until after NYDay . Long enough.
They said the same thing when it went from 12 to 14, and then 14 to 16.

AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:25 AM   #10
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 12,473
Re: 17-game season is coming in 2021

Originally Posted by Halo View Post
And... they need to expand the salary cap!
Adding games means teams probably need to add roster spots and be able to pay them. Adding games means teams really need a solid backup QB, an extra RB, extra depth all around.
The salary cap is about to explode with the new broadcast deals that roughly double the current broadcast revenues and the revenues attached to the additional week of games.

Keep in mind that the salary cap is set as a percentage of total revenues via the CBA. If revenues double so must the salary cap. That is mandated via the CBA.

A larger roster has been discussed and will most likely take place. I don't think anyone is that opposed to that move. The expanded practice squads due to COVID mat remain in some form, as well.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts