Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints > NFL

The referees this year SUCK!

this is a discussion within the NFL Community Forum; Another game was just determined by suck-ass officiating. The officials just gave the game to Green Bay, not by one call, but many terrible calls against Detroit, ensuring that Green Bay wins and stays on top of their devision. The ...

Like Tree10Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2019, 10:27 PM   #1
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 4,407
The referees this year SUCK!

Another game was just determined by suck-ass officiating. The officials just gave the game to Green Bay, not by one call, but many terrible calls against Detroit, ensuring that Green Bay wins and stays on top of their devision.
The referees this year just SUCK and should be held accountable.
Barry from MS and jeanpierre like this.
Srgt. Hulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:51 PM   #2
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 32,631
Blog Entries: 37
Re: The referees this year SUCK!

Folks who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it...

Saints have paid dearly themselves for not realizing - never let it come down to the league's officiating...

Last edited by jeanpierre; 10-15-2019 at 12:11 AM..
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:08 AM   #3
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 32,631
Blog Entries: 37
Re: The referees this year SUCK!

jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:09 AM   #4
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 32,631
Blog Entries: 37
Re: The referees this year SUCK!



SmashMouth likes this.
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:16 AM   #5
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 32,631
Blog Entries: 37
Re: The referees this year SUCK!

jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:37 AM   #6
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,764
Blog Entries: 3
Re: The referees this year SUCK!

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
Folks who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it...

Saints have paid dearly themselves for not realizing - never let it come down to the league's officiating...
I have never cared for this saying. No disrespect to you, I just think it misses the point.

It's easy for us to sit here and say "well, if so and so had done this, and what's his name had done that, it wouldn't have come down to the officials".

But you have two teams who are both trying to win. Nothing is easy. You make mistakes, but you're still fighting and clawing to do whatever you can to win... And then the refs make a terrible, bone-headed call that has nothing to do with the competition on the field, and has everything to do with whatever they "think" happened. They simply "see" something that isn't there, or don't see something that clearly is. So, yeah, you can say that players could have done things better, but it shouldn't be assumed that because a game is close, the players just screwed it up. They are going up against another NFL team who is trying to stop them. Refs are not going up against anything.

Games should be won and lost by the players. It's one thing for refs to make small mistakes. It's another thing, entirely, when they are flat out blowing calls.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:42 AM   #7
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 32,631
Blog Entries: 37
Re: The referees this year SUCK!

jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:47 AM   #8
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,764
Blog Entries: 3
Re: The referees this year SUCK!

So now Blakeman has changed the rules to suit his crew's blunders? It's hands to the face, not hands to the head or neck area.

Plus, the contact appeared to be on the shoulder, close to the neck, but not on the neck. As usual, refs can never just say "my bad".
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:51 AM   #9
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 32,631
Blog Entries: 37
Re: The referees this year SUCK!

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
I have never cared for this saying. No disrespect to you, I just think it misses the point.

It's easy for us to sit here and say "well, if so and so had done this, and what's his name had done that, it wouldn't have come down to the officials".

But you have two teams who are both trying to win. Nothing is easy. You make mistakes, but you're still fighting and clawing to do whatever you can to win... And then the refs make a terrible, bone-headed call that has nothing to do with the competition on the field, and has everything to do with whatever they "think" happened. They simply "see" something that isn't there, or don't see something that clearly is. So, yeah, you can say that players could have done things better, but it shouldn't be assumed that because a game is close, the players just screwed it up. They are going up against another NFL team who is trying to stop them. Refs are not going up against anything.

Games should be won and lost by the players. It's one thing for refs to make small mistakes. It's another thing, entirely, when they are flat out blowing calls.
burn, I take no disrespect, and I'm inclined to agree with you, but it's a non-starter because we don't live in a perfect world...

...and if history, actual past (repeating) events, has taught us anything is that in close games there are certain teams that always come up on the right side of a poor call and the other teams get the short of it...

We (the Saints) have to defeat our opponents soundly, definitively and should avoid letting one call determine the outcome of a short game...

NFL office has gone out of its way to continue a shady, ambiguous, antiquated method of officiating games.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to the sport, and prefer the game as it's been as I've grown up, but the NFL wants to constantly "update" the game like Apple wants to "update" iPhones...

Then why have we not "updated" the way we officiate games including have a ref in the booth (as broadcasters now have) who have a very resourceful perspective and can call BS on bad, missed calls?

It's not that my way is the right way, I just make the right way my way...
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:30 AM   #10
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,764
Blog Entries: 3
Re: The referees this year SUCK!

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
burn, I take no disrespect, and I'm inclined to agree with you, but it's a non-starter because we don't live in a perfect world...

...and if history, actual past (repeating) events, has taught us anything is that in close games there are certain teams that always come up on the right side of a poor call and the other teams get the short of it...

We (the Saints) have to defeat our opponents soundly, definitively and should avoid letting one call determine the outcome of a short game...

NFL office has gone out of its way to continue a shady, ambiguous, antiquated method of officiating games.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to the sport, and prefer the game as it's been as I've grown up, but the NFL wants to constantly "update" the game like Apple wants to "update" iPhones...

Then why have we not "updated" the way we officiate games including have a ref in the booth (as broadcasters now have) who have a very resourceful perspective and can call BS on bad, missed calls?
I understand your point that we don't live in a perfect world, but imperfection and blatant, repeated mistakes are two different problems.

Which brings us back to the discussion at hand. Yes, we all know there is favoritism in officiating, and that is exactly why we complain about it. If it were up to any team to just decide that they won't let it be close, then there would be no problem. But, obviously, it isn't that easy. Referees, and the people who employ them, to your earlier point, have the ability to "update" the way they do things. The NFL also has the ability to hold it's officials accountable, and yet, they have never shown a willingness to do so. The NFL needs a real leader to be it's commissioner. Someone who is willing to hold his officials accountable, and one who does not make up rules arbitrarily, who will enforce rules and punishments uniformly throughout the league.

But the owners made their bed with Goodell.
Srgt. Hulka likes this.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts