Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints > NFL

Mike Nolan fires in Dallas

this is a discussion within the NFL Community Forum; Originally Posted by gosaints1 I get what you’re saying..., but Jerry Jones has 3 Super Bowl rings in the last 30 years. That’s three times as many championships in half the amount of time as the way the Saints have ...

Like Tree18Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #11
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 38,151
Blog Entries: 39
Re: Mike Nolan fires in Dallas

Originally Posted by gosaints1 View Post
I get what you’re saying..., but Jerry Jones has 3 Super Bowl rings in the last 30 years. That’s three times as many championships in half the amount of time as the way the Saints have managed the team ownership paradigm. Others have been successful with Jerry Jones, I don’t see the logic behind: “ Nolan Good bc... Jerruh bad”. But, that’s just me. That defense in Dallas is bad. That defense in Atlanta was bad. Lots of very good, superstar playmakers on that Baltimore defense also. A good argument could be made he was riding the coattails of superstars like Reed, Boulware and Ray Lewis. He was a “one and done” coordinator in a lot of places. There is a reason for that.
Jerry Jones got three rings in four years with two from a coach he ran off, and one that was a cruise director - perspective is everything...
gosaints1 and K Major like this.
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:56 PM   #12
100% Blunt
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, La
Posts: 2,010
Re: Mike Nolan fires in Dallas

Originally Posted by SmashMouth View Post
He's better than Joe Vitt as a LBR coach.


Joe Vitt is a joke
K Major likes this.
Lord_Saint83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:15 PM   #13
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 563
Re: Mike Nolan fires in Dallas

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
Jerry Jones got three rings in four years with two from a coach he ran off, and one that was a cruise director - perspective is everything...
But he did get three, and we’ve only gotten one..., which tells me his ownership style, while being very hands on, is more effective than the Benson Boogie crowd. Benson began in 85 and JJ began ownership in 89, iirc, roughly same amount of time.
gosaints1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #14
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 12,533
Re: Mike Nolan fires in Dallas

Originally Posted by gosaints1 View Post
But he did get three, and we’ve only gotten one..., which tells me his ownership style, while being very hands on, is more effective than the Benson Boogie crowd. Benson began in 85 and JJ began ownership in 89, iirc, roughly same amount of time.
More effective? Dallas has been irrelevant for the past quarter of a century under Jones' guidance.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:21 PM   #15
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 10,451
Re: Mike Nolan fires in Dallas

ChrisXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:19 PM   #16
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 563
Re: Mike Nolan fires in Dallas

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
More effective? Dallas has been irrelevant for the past quarter of a century under Jones' guidance.
Change the timeline all you wish..., but Since JJ has been the owner of the Cowboys, 1989, 31 years ago, he has 3 (three) SB wins.

Since the Benson Boogie train has been in place, 4 (four) years before that, 1985, iirc, the Saints have 1 (One).

3 (three) is greater than 1 (one). I won’t pick an arbitrary timeline, one of my own creation, in order to deliberately mislead folks. I’ll use the entire timeline and accomplishments by both, in their respective timelines. One set of years is “cherry picking” (yours) and the other set is unambiguously factual (mine). Unless I made an error in their ownership dates. Entirely possible, lol.

“Relevancy” is a word I did not use, I used the word effective. And the reason I used effective is bc I very clearly think winning three times as many Super Bowl’s in fewer years is a more effective ownership paradigm..., that is if you use championships as the goal of each team at the beginning of each season. If you’re of the mindset that sitting around a drum circle signing folks songs is the better “goal” to determine effectiveness, then so be it. I use championships.
gosaints1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:00 AM   #17
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 38,151
Blog Entries: 39
Re: Mike Nolan fires in Dallas

Solid Arguments defending Mike Nolan's effort in Dallas...

gosaints1 likes this.
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:34 PM   #18
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 563
Re: Mike Nolan fires in Dallas

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
Solid Arguments defending Mike Nolan's effort in Dallas...

https://twitter.com/BenjaminSolak/st...55170443456512
Agreed jp, they are solid arguments..., and there is no doubt Nolan was scapegoated. But..., Somebody had to be fired..., unless you think having one of the worst defenses in team history is an ideal outcome wrt successful coaching.

He may be one heck of a pos’n coach, but I’m not buying the article’s intimation that Nolan wasn’t afforded enough time or resources to be effective and successful as a coordinator. He was fired bc:

1) No Dallas team in history, 61 years, has ever allowed points approaching what Nolan’s defense allowed of 473. Not even close.

2) No Dallas team has ever allowed 34 passing TD’s in a season.

3) No Dallas team has ever allowed an entire season of opposing QB’s to post 100+ Passer ratings.

4) Only one Dallas team, 2013, has ever posted more yards allowed.

5) Only one Dallas team, 1960 (expansion season), has posted more points allowed.

6) Only two Dallas teams, 1960 and 2000, allowed more rushing yards per game.

7) Only one Dallas team, 1960 (winless (iirc) expansion team), allowed more yards per carry. And it was so close that pro-football focus has them effectively tied at allowing 5.0 yards per touch.

meh - justified firing. You can’t be the worst DC in a team’s history..., and retain your job.
jeanpierre likes this.
gosaints1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:27 PM   #19
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 38,151
Blog Entries: 39
Re: Mike Nolan fires in Dallas

Originally Posted by gosaints1 View Post
Agreed jp, they are solid arguments..., and there is no doubt Nolan was scapegoated. But..., Somebody had to be fired..., unless you think having one of the worst defenses in team history is an ideal outcome wrt successful coaching.

He may be one heck of a pos’n coach, but I’m not buying the article’s intimation that Nolan wasn’t afforded enough time or resources to be effective and successful as a coordinator. He was fired bc:

1) No Dallas team in history, 61 years, has ever allowed points approaching what Nolan’s defense allowed of 473. Not even close.

2) No Dallas team has ever allowed 34 passing TD’s in a season.

3) No Dallas team has ever allowed an entire season of opposing QB’s to post 100+ Passer ratings.

4) Only one Dallas team, 2013, has ever posted more yards allowed.

5) Only one Dallas team, 1960 (expansion season), has posted more points allowed.

6) Only two Dallas teams, 1960 and 2000, allowed more rushing yards per game.

7) Only one Dallas team, 1960 (winless (iirc) expansion team), allowed more yards per carry. And it was so close that pro-football focus has them effectively tied at allowing 5.0 yards per touch.

meh - justified firing. You can’t be the worst DC in a team’s history..., and retain your job.
But if you look at the previous seasons, you can see the defense was getting exposed more and more; and the team just wasn't hitting on their draft picks, especially secondary...
gosaints1 likes this.
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts