Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Where to spend the money

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Davenport, but I want him enclosed in bubble wrap from now until training camp....

Like Tree20Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2022, 09:45 PM   #11
Hu Dat!
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,780
Blog Entries: 7
Re: Where to spend the money

Davenport, but I want him enclosed in bubble wrap from now until training camp.
jnormand and leilung like this.
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:44 AM   #12
500th Post
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lafayette, La and Valencia CA
Posts: 600
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Where to spend the money

Originally Posted by BakoSaint View Post
I would rather spend the money on subtraction than addition. Use the money to get out of the bad contracts with Peat, Thomas, and Hill rather than letting the obligations haunt us for years to come with repeated restructurings until their cap number is $50 million each in 2030. If Davenport and Williams both leave, we get comp picks. Davenport cant stay healthy enough to be worth more than 5 million a year and he will cost more. Williams is a great safety on paper but doesnt seem to make the big impact plays in the big games, i prefer keeping CGJ and we cant keep both and have $30 million plus cap tied up in two safeties long term.
Sounds vaguely familiar the ď The Bill O ĎBrienĒ clear out all talent have dumpster fire of lower skilled players left with lots of draft picks and build thru the draft. Top Free agents have avoided teams like Texans, Jets NY Giants Jacksonville because of their dysfunction and depending on your draft class as the vehicle to get you contenting is 50/50 at best.
Keeping the core of your talent by push some money to future years with current contracts knowing the given expansion of the yearly cap number.

As the team move forward I feel the Over Cap number will probably never disappear but be reduced to a point it is not a factor of consequence on how the team address areas of need.

Not a GM but I have been on the side that all these number were a concern for me, but like it or not they have made it work year end and year out. Our record this year had nothing to do with cap money it was all about untimely injuries, multiple injures to the point people off the street where in uniform and playing on Sunday. We had more depth than most teams but how do you begin to overcome the injuries to starting and backup QBís, Covid game with 22 players missing.

We will get a starting QB this year, we will get new talent at wide receiver, Oline, three positions of concern that need to be address. Armstead will more than like be resigned with Landon Young hopefully able to eventually takeover that position. Free agent guard, Ruiz is not starting material.

Looking forward to 2022 season as much as I did the 1967 season in Tulane Satdium.
AsylumGuido likes this.
WW_Who_Dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:50 AM   #13
500th Post
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lafayette, La and Valencia CA
Posts: 600
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Where to spend the money

Latest status of the Saintsí injured players following the 2021 season
WW_Who_Dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:04 AM   #14
Booty Bandit
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Wastelands that are NJ
Posts: 633
Re: Where to spend the money

Davenport and CGJ are the heart of stabilizing the D for the future.
leilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:11 AM   #15
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kenner, LA
Posts: 6,004
Re: Where to spend the money

Originally Posted by WW_Who_Dat View Post
Sounds vaguely familiar the ď The Bill O ĎBrienĒ clear out all talent have dumpster fire of lower skilled players left with lots of draft picks and build thru the draft. Top Free agents have avoided teams like Texans, Jets NY Giants Jacksonville because of their dysfunction and depending on your draft class as the vehicle to get you contenting is 50/50 at best.
Keeping the core of your talent by push some money to future years with current contracts knowing the given expansion of the yearly cap number.

As the team move forward I feel the Over Cap number will probably never disappear but be reduced to a point it is not a factor of consequence on how the team address areas of need.

Not a GM but I have been on the side that all these number were a concern for me, but like it or not they have made it work year end and year out. Our record this year had nothing to do with cap money it was all about untimely injuries, multiple injures to the point people off the street where in uniform and playing on Sunday. We had more depth than most teams but how do you begin to overcome the injuries to starting and backup QBís, Covid game with 22 players missing.

We will get a starting QB this year, we will get new talent at wide receiver, Oline, three positions of concern that need to be address. Armstead will more than like be resigned with Landon Young hopefully able to eventually takeover that position. Free agent guard, Ruiz is not starting material.

Looking forward to 2022 season as much as I did the 1967 season in Tulane Satdium.
This. You donít let a talent like Marcus Williams walk. You retain that continuity and show players within your organization and at others that you reward players for high quality play. The old adage was that the Saints and Benson didnít want to pay players. You donít want that reputation, especially with players feeling more empowered than ever before. Pay Williams.
rezburna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:30 AM   #16
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 14,922
Re: Where to spend the money

Originally Posted by WW_Who_Dat View Post
Latest status of the Saintsí injured players following the 2021 season
Kat Terrell posted a bit on that yesterday on The Athletic, but this is all I could copy before the paywall came up. Here's the link if anyone wants to pay and get the rest.

Latest status of the Saintsí injured players following the 2021 season

The New Orleans Saints went through the wringer this season in terms of player availability due to injuries and COVID-19, starting an NFL-record 58 players.

The season is over, but a number of lingering questions remain regarding the status of their injured players, most notably at quarterback, offensive line and wide receiver.

More injury updates will trickle out over the next few months as players decide to get surgery (including players who played through injury), take stock of their 2022 plans and figure out how to proceed. Itís possible that players nobody knew were injured will have cleanup surgeries in the spring, which is common every offseason.

Hereís what we know about the status of several injured players right now:

Quarterbacks

Jameis Winston: Torn ACL (Oct. 31)

Winston tore his left ACL (and damaged his left MCL) in Week 8 against the Buccaneers after his leg planted awkwardly due to a hit by linebacker Devin White.

While recovery timetables differ for everyone, there are many examples of quick returns from notable players. Running back Adrian Peterson, with the Vikings at the time, is probably the gold standard in that regard, returning to the field in eight months from an MCL and ACL tear to rush for more than 2,000 yards in the 2012 season.

LIMITED TIME OFFER
Smarter sports coverage. Just $5.99 $3.99/month.

I am hereby letting everyone know that I have submitted the terms "prebreesian" and "postbreesian" for copyright consideration.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:12 PM   #17
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 9,454
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Where to spend the money

Originally Posted by neugey View Post
Davenport, but I want him enclosed in bubble wrap from now until training camp.
You mean through training camp
neugey likes this.
saintsfan1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:40 PM   #18
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,291
Re: Where to spend the money

Originally Posted by BakoSaint View Post
I would rather spend the money on subtraction than addition. Use the money to get out of the bad contracts with Peat, Thomas, and Hill rather than letting the obligations haunt us for years to come with repeated restructurings until their cap number is $50 million each in 2030. If Davenport and Williams both leave, we get comp picks. Davenport cant stay healthy enough to be worth more than 5 million a year and he will cost more. Williams is a great safety on paper but doesnt seem to make the big impact plays in the big games, i prefer keeping CGJ and we cant keep both and have $30 million plus cap tied up in two safeties long term.
So, a vote of neither. Thanks for input
Boston Saint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:18 PM   #19
500th Post
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lafayette, La and Valencia CA
Posts: 600
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Where to spend the money

Originally Posted by rezburna View Post
This. You donít let a talent like Marcus Williams walk. You retain that continuity and show players within your organization and at others that you reward players for high quality play. The old adage was that the Saints and Benson didnít want to pay players. You donít want that reputation, especially with players feeling more empowered than ever before. Pay Williams.
Absolutely rezburna resign Marcus try work a deal to keep Kwon Ö try to negotiate a concession with Jenkins Ö what the heck keep everybody and let the dogs run.

Not sure we should pay to keep Roby with the way Adebo came on.
WW_Who_Dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:24 PM   #20
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 19,480
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Where to spend the money

Davenport.
SmashMouth likes this.
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts