Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Marcus Davenport

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by leilung Still scratching my head how they kept Davenport and let Hendrickson walk... It all came down to $$$$$ & Cents: Cap-strapped Saints might have to let Trey Hendrickson walk in free agency The Saints signed 3rd ...

Like Tree176Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2023, 04:09 PM   #41
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,390
Re: Marcus Davenport

Originally Posted by leilung View Post
Still scratching my head how they kept Davenport and let Hendrickson walk...
It all came down to $$$$$ & Cents:

Cap-strapped Saints might have to let Trey Hendrickson walk in free agency

The Saints signed 3rd round draft choice Trey Hendrickson to a four-year, $3.17 million contract that includes a signing bonus of $706,288.


Trey Hendrickson signed a 4 year, $60,000,000 contract with the Cincinnati Bengals, including a $10,000,000 signing bonus, $16,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $15,000,000.
vpheughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Latest Blogs
Puck the Fro Browl! Last Blog: 02-05-2023 By: neugey




This is the year Last Blog: 11-25-2022 By: neugey


Old 01-19-2023, 04:45 PM   #42
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 19,466
Re: Marcus Davenport

Originally Posted by vpheughan View Post
It all came down to $$$$$ & Cents:

Cap-strapped Saints might have to let Trey Hendrickson walk in free agency

The Saints signed 3rd round draft choice Trey Hendrickson to a four-year, $3.17 million contract that includes a signing bonus of $706,288.


Trey Hendrickson signed a 4 year, $60,000,000 contract with the Cincinnati Bengals, including a $10,000,000 signing bonus, $16,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $15,000,000.
They had the cap space available to make that kind of deal, but probably weren't sold on his future being as strong as it ended up being.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:37 PM   #43
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 33,971
Blog Entries: 29
Re: Marcus Davenport

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
Hmm.

I'd bring MD back for 2023. His sack totals aren't higher, but among other things, his pressure rate is on par with 2021.

The coverage and safety play were below average compared to a year ago. The former has gotten better in recent weeks, but losing Latt has hurt a lot, and I believe that's why the number of defensive line sacks has decreased.

It would be less expensive (see post #5) to bring him back for a year.
"Pressure rate" ... Why does this term not apply to Cameron Jordan? And why is this even in consideration?
SmashMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:11 PM   #44
500th Post
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 669
Re: Marcus Davenport

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
They had the cap space available to make that kind of deal, but probably weren't sold on his future being as strong as it ended up being.
We let Hendrickson go in the offseason between 2020 and 2021 seasons. This was the same offseason where at WR we were comfortable with Michael Thomas as our only talented WR despite his being injured all season, delaying surgery, and our recent experience with how one injury affected Cameron Meredith's promising WR career. And behind Thomas nothing. And at starting TE Adam Trautman a totally unproven raw project pick.

So I guess we 'had cap space' to sign Hendrickson but 'weren't sold' however its important to remember that we had so little cap space that we decided not to address obvious needs that ruined our teams season because we were so close to being maxed out on the cap that had we signed Hendrickson, or more practically a WR or TE making that kind of money, we would have been in an even more historical level of cap hell.

I think its more practical so say that we could have signed Hendrickson, or we could have brought in a great WR or TE, but Mickey Loomis had us so maxxed out on the cap that had we done that, and had Jameis Winston thrown for 6000 yards in 2021 or Taysom Hill been the first QB to rush for 2000 yards, and we won the Superbowl, we would not have had any way to get under the salary cap enough to apply the franchise tag to prevent letting them walk. So even if Hendrickson had been a fit, it would not have mattered, unless we let Ramczyk or Lattimore etc walk in his place, we were hosed.
SmashMouth likes this.
BakoSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:01 PM   #45
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 33,971
Blog Entries: 29
Re: Marcus Davenport

Originally Posted by BakoSaint View Post
We let Hendrickson go in the offseason between 2020 and 2021 seasons. This was the same offseason where at WR we were comfortable with Michael Thomas as our only talented WR despite his being injured all season, delaying surgery, and our recent experience with how one injury affected Cameron Meredith's promising WR career. And behind Thomas nothing. And at starting TE Adam Trautman a totally unproven raw project pick.

So I guess we 'had cap space' to sign Hendrickson but 'weren't sold' however its important to remember that we had so little cap space that we decided not to address obvious needs that ruined our teams season because we were so close to being maxed out on the cap that had we signed Hendrickson, or more practically a WR or TE making that kind of money, we would have been in an even more historical level of cap hell.

I think its more practical so say that we could have signed Hendrickson, or we could have brought in a great WR or TE, but Mickey Loomis had us so maxxed out on the cap that had we done that, and had Jameis Winston thrown for 6000 yards in 2021 or Taysom Hill been the first QB to rush for 2000 yards, and we won the Superbowl, we would not have had any way to get under the salary cap enough to apply the franchise tag to prevent letting them walk. So even if Hendrickson had been a fit, it would not have mattered, unless we let Ramczyk or Lattimore etc walk in his place, we were hosed.
A valid argument for not over-mortgaging the cap. Also an argument to NOT spend two number ones for a number one pick on moving up. This move rarely works out, despite the obvious exceptions . It could be argued had we not used two 1s to reach down to get Davenport who probably would've been available in later rounds, our cap would've been in better situation to afford Hendrickson sans casualties. As a franchise, you want exactly the kind of players like Hendrickson turned out to be from the draft position he was gotten
SmashMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:06 PM   #46
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C
Posts: 2,755
Re: Marcus Davenport

Originally Posted by SmashMouth View Post
A valid argument for not over-mortgaging the cap. Also an argument to NOT spend two number ones for a number one pick on moving up. This move rarely works out, despite the obvious exceptions . It could be argued had we not used two 1s to reach down to get Davenport who probably would've been available in later rounds, our cap would've been in better situation to afford Hendrickson sans casualties. As a franchise, you want exactly the kind of players like Hendrickson turned out to be from the draft position he was gotten
Hendrickson wouldn't make the Saints no better and the Bengals overpaid for a 3 down player. It happened he's on the team. The compensation is gone. The picks are gone. Davenport is here for the moment probably won't be resigned. This isn't insight its hindsight. Cincinnati had 20 less sacks than the Saints but ironically more hurries and hits on the QB. Where is the issue? Everything must go the Saints way huh? Saints shouldn't have any "mistakes " or unforseen circumstances?
AsylumGuido likes this.
Rell&Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:32 PM   #47
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,696
Re: Marcus Davenport

Trey Hendrickson again showing up in the playoffs.

Davenport should watch some of Trey's tape.
SmashMouth and K Major like this.
dizzle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:37 PM   #48
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 21,616
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Marcus Davenport

Originally Posted by dizzle88 View Post
Trey Hendrickson again showing up in the playoffs.

Davenport should watch some of Trey's tape.
Facts
SmashMouth and dizzle88 like this.
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:38 PM   #49
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,696
Re: Marcus Davenport

Hey look, Vonn Bell too!
SmashMouth and K Major like this.
dizzle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:18 PM   #50
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 19,466
Re: Marcus Davenport

Originally Posted by dizzle88 View Post
Trey Hendrickson again showing up in the playoffs.

Davenport should watch some of Trey's tape.
Originally Posted by dizzle88 View Post
Hey look, Vonn Bell too!
Funny, Chargers' fans were saying the same every time Brees threw a TD. Or Jets' fans when Vilma made a tackle for a loss.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts