Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Rumor

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; I hope we can find a way to keep MT....

Like Tree59Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2023, 11:19 AM   #11
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kenner, LA
Posts: 6,707
Re: Rumor

I hope we can find a way to keep MT.
cmike and shawnkytonk like this.
rezburna is online now   Reply With Quote
Latest Blogs
Puck the Fro Browl! Last Blog: 02-05-2023 By: neugey




This is the year Last Blog: 11-25-2022 By: neugey


Old 01-23-2023, 11:19 AM   #12
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 33,972
Blog Entries: 29
Re: Rumor

Originally Posted by rezburna View Post
I hope we can find a way to keep MT.
His recent restructure made it unaffordable.
SaintFanInATLHELL and K Major like this.
SmashMouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:38 AM   #13
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kenner, LA
Posts: 6,707
Re: Rumor

Originally Posted by SmashMouth View Post
His recent restructure made it unaffordable.
We say that but that boy Loomis always finds a way to finesse the books. I'm just not down on the guy. He had 3 TDs in 3 games this season before he went down again. He turned the tide against the Falcons in Game 1 to get us that W. AJ Terrell couldn't stop him. However, Olave and Shaheed do soften the blow of potentially losing him.
Crusader likes this.
rezburna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:50 AM   #14
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 3,588
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Rumor

Originally Posted by rezburna View Post
I hope we can find a way to keep MT.
He's given up on us, Rez. It's time to end this relationship and don't look back.
He'll likely find another lover and play really well for a few games just to show us that he's happier but that relationship will end up just as sad as this one.
iceshack149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:50 AM   #15
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 33,972
Blog Entries: 29
Re: Rumor

Originally Posted by rezburna View Post
We say that but that boy Loomis always finds a way to finesse the books. I'm just not down on the guy. He had 3 TDs in 3 games this season before he went down again. He turned the tide against the Falcons in Game 1 to get us that W. AJ Terrell couldn't stop him. However, Olave and Shaheed do soften the blow of potentially losing him.
Me neither... but we could have just left his contract alone. His balloon payment if he stays on the team is absurd.
SmashMouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:53 AM   #16
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kenner, LA
Posts: 6,707
Re: Rumor

Originally Posted by iceshack149 View Post
He's given up on us, Rez. It's time to end this relationship and don't look back.
He'll likely find another lover and play really well for a few games just to show us that he's happier but that relationship will end up just as sad as this one.
I don't think he's given up on us. I do think we've given up on him though. The way the fans have talked about him for the last several years I couldn't blame him if he didn't want to be here.
Rsanders24, Crusader and cmike like this.
rezburna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 12:03 PM   #17
The Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lithonia, GA
Posts: 2,571
Re: Rumor

Originally Posted by rezburna View Post
I hope we can find a way to keep MT.
Impossible with the restructured contract. It requires guaranteeing him a $30 million roster bonus in six weeks without ever seeing him on the field, and then another guaranteed $30 million if he plays in only 4 games in 2023 for the Saints.

Business, salary cap and money have caught up to MT13's injury issues. The Saints' strategy of restructuring and kicking the money can down the road only works when the player is available and productive. MT13 has been neither going on 3 years now. So, when the big unguaranteed money wall of the contract is staring the organization in the face, it's inevitable that the team will cut bait.

SFIAH

Super Bowl Championships: New Orleans Saints:1, Carolina:0, Atlanta Chokers: STILL ZERO

Only Atlanta choked in an unchokable situation... Life is definitely good.
SaintFanInATLHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 12:12 PM   #18
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 19,466
Re: Rumor

Originally Posted by SmashMouth View Post
Me neither... but we could have just left his contract alone. His balloon payment if he stays on the team is absurd.
Originally Posted by SaintFanInATLHELL View Post
Impossible with the restructured contract. It requires guaranteeing him a $30 million roster bonus in six weeks without ever seeing him on the field, and then another guaranteed $30 million if he plays in only 4 games in 2023 for the Saints.

Business, salary cap and money have caught up to MT13's injury issues. The Saints' strategy of restructuring and kicking the money can down the road only works when the player is available and productive. MT13 has been neither going on 3 years now. So, when the big unguaranteed money wall of the contract is staring the organization in the face, it's inevitable that the team will cut bait.

SFIAH
His current contract can be totally renegotiated. Not going to say it will happen, but as long as both parties agree the contract can simply be "torn up" and replaced with a completely new one. It has happened many times in the past, usually with a player on a high dollar contract that wants to prove they can still play. The restructure earlier this year simply bought them more time to make a final decision.

He's probably still gone and I wouldn't blame him, like rez has pointed out, but it's not a done deal.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 01:28 PM   #19
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 33,972
Blog Entries: 29
Re: Rumor

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
His current contract can be totally renegotiated. Not going to say it will happen, but as long as both parties agree the contract can simply be "torn up" and replaced with a completely new one. It has happened many times in the past, usually with a player on a high dollar contract that wants to prove they can still play. The restructure earlier this year simply bought them more time to make a final decision.

He's probably still gone and I wouldn't blame him, like rez has pointed out, but it's not a done deal.
Fair point... I guess we'll see IF he has any commitment left in him.
SmashMouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 02:39 PM   #20
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 21,616
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Rumor

Too much money for a player (elite when healthy) that hasn't seen the field in almost 2 seasons & will be on the other side of 30 in March.

Mike is a dawg (again when healthy) but it's time to move on.

If Payton is still your HC ...maybe but I don't see MT playing for the Saints in 2023. Probably cut with a post-June designation (by pass the roster bonus).

Add WR to the list of "needs" on the roster.
Rugby Saint II likes this.
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts