New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com (https://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   Saints (https://blackandgold.com/saints/)
-   -   ESPN’s Colin Cowherd says Russell Wilson is a Top 5 QB–Better than Drew Brees (https://blackandgold.com/saints/54628-espn-s-colin-cowherd-says-russell-wilson-top-5-qb-better-than.html)

Halo 01-15-2013 10:37 PM

Re: ESPN’s Colin Cowherd says Russell Wilson is a Top 5 QB–Better than Drew Brees
 
Of course it's going to be an underhanded jab at New Orleans.
Let's pick on the New Orleans QB this offseason because... oh, just forgot, the Superbowl is IN New Orleans.
Just like he took whatever opportunity afforded him to jab at the Saints during Bountygate when there was no news whatsoever going on.

It's called ratings. The more outrage he presents, the more our fans listen to him and call in and are outraged.

RaginCajun83 01-15-2013 10:44 PM

Re: ESPN’s Colin Cowherd says Russell Wilson is a Top 5 QB–Better than Drew Brees
 
Can't believe anyone even bothers to listen to cowherd anymore?

Halo 01-15-2013 10:46 PM

Re: ESPN’s Colin Cowherd says Russell Wilson is a Top 5 QB–Better than Drew Brees
 
OOPS!

Now I know why he's looking for attention. He's off the Sportsnation show as of January 1. Hope he interviews Drew soon.... NOT! Drew usually skips the loser journalists.

Marcellus Wiley replacing Colin Cowherd on SportsNation

OldMaid 01-16-2013 04:50 AM

Re: ESPN’s Colin Cowherd says Russell Wilson is a Top 5 QB–Better than Drew Brees
 
I stay way from the qb of the week honor.

All this is simply sport's commentators talking up the qb or team of the week.

If Russel or Luck or Kaepernick or RGIII or Matty Ryan or even Tebow for not what he has done, not much by the way, but for what he is supposed to have done or can do if he gets a chance to be a starter, LOL, that woukd make sense.
I can say I am a better qb than Brees if ColinC is going to make comparisons here in saying Russell is better than Brees for what little Russell has in common with Brees.

Obviously the guy, Colin Cowherd, doesn't know how to compare and contrast like things and unlike things. I suggest he go back to Pre-K. This is a skill taught in Pre-K and Pre-K'ers really understand compare /contrast.:D

Really.

Now, if they , this commentator were to fill airtime in talking about who has better stats, better qb between Brees, EManning, TBrady, PManning and even compare these guys to former qb's of TBradshaw, DMarino, JMontanta, DWilliams, etc., well, ok that would make sense.

Stats are stats and are facts.:cool:
Opinions would be who is the better qb between Brees and the guys I mentioned would be okay.

If ColinCowherd had comapred Russel , Kaepernick, Luck, RGIII and the rest of the young guys whom are up and coming at the same time, ok.

I hate when these people waste good airtime on senseless stories. He could have made a really segment there about Russell, RGIII, Luck and the rest of these qb's of the same age group, years, etc.
I think Kaep, Russ, Luck, RGII are guys to watch for in the future of the NFL.

Comparing Brees and Russell is like comparing the acting skills and Meryl Streep and Kim Kardashian .
Barbra Streistand and Ke$sha, whatever her name is.
Heidi Klum and Heidi Fliess.

You get my point, :-)

lee909 01-16-2013 04:59 AM

Cowherd comes out with a outlandish claim-listeners get angry-talk to friends about said comment and idiot on the radio-friends listens to show-more listeners creates bigger advertisement income-Cowherd gets bigger salary-Cowherd comes out with a outlandish claim........

xan 01-16-2013 07:40 AM

Re: ESPN’s Colin Cowherd says Russell Wilson is a Top 5 QB–Better than Drew Brees
 
Wilson was rated #4 in the traditional rating vs. Brees' #8, and in the new QBR rating, he was rated #8 to Brees' #9.

For this season only, given that:

A) he had a better statistical year, and
B) his team won a game in the playoffs and nearly won 2,

then Cowherd has a pretty defensible position.

Mardigras9 01-16-2013 08:12 AM

Re: ESPN’s Colin Cowherd says Russell Wilson is a Top 5 QB–Better than Drew Brees
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halo (Post 472678)
It's called ratings. The more outrage he presents, the more our fans listen to him and call in and are outraged.

Absolutely.
The crazier it sounds, the more attention it gets.

Utah_Saint 01-16-2013 08:51 AM

Re: ESPN’s Colin Cowherd says Russell Wilson is a Top 5 QB–Better than Drew Brees
 
He got a whole thread dedicated to him and his asinine blathering. Mission accomplished.

burningmetal 01-16-2013 09:56 AM

Re: ESPN’s Colin Cowherd says Russell Wilson is a Top 5 QB–Better than Drew Brees
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by xan (Post 472736)
Wilson was rated #4 in the traditional rating vs. Brees' #8, and in the new QBR rating, he was rated #8 to Brees' #9.

For this season only, given that:

A) he had a better statistical year, and
B) his team won a game in the playoffs and nearly won 2,

then Cowherd has a pretty defensible position.

QB ratings don't take into account degree of difficulty. I believe Drew had a down year, but he had a much more difficult task than Wilson. Wilson has a better O-line, not just in pass protection, but in the running game aswell. As evidenced by Marshawn Lynch's huge year. That takes a lot of pressure off a quarterback.

It's true that Brees has better weapons, and those weapons certainly have something to do with him compiling some gaudy numbers. But the ratings system doesn't really go by just sheer volume of yards and TD's. It goes by completion percentage, INT's per attempt, number of times sacked, etc. Wilson didn't have huge numbers by any standards, but particularly not by today's standards of offense.

But his overall efficiency is what put him over Brees. I don't think any Rookie QB could have survived this season with the Saints, however. Russell Wilson had a good year, I'm not taking that away from him, but you can't possibly make a valid comparison between he and Brees, at this point.

xan 01-16-2013 12:50 PM

Re: ESPN’s Colin Cowherd says Russell Wilson is a Top 5 QB–Better than Drew Brees
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by burningmetal (Post 472798)
QB ratings don't take into account degree of difficulty. I believe Drew had a down year, but he had a much more difficult task than Wilson. Wilson has a better O-line, not just in pass protection, but in the running game aswell. As evidenced by Marshawn Lynch's huge year. That takes a lot of pressure off a quarterback.

It's true that Brees has better weapons, and those weapons certainly have something to do with him compiling some gaudy numbers. But the ratings system doesn't really go by just sheer volume of yards and TD's. It goes by completion percentage, INT's per attempt, number of times sacked, etc. Wilson didn't have huge numbers by any standards, but particularly not by today's standards of offense.

But his overall efficiency is what put him over Brees. I don't think any Rookie QB could have survived this season with the Saints, however. Russell Wilson had a good year, I'm not taking that away from him, but you can't possibly make a valid comparison between he and Brees, at this point.

I'm not looking to get into a fight over something this petty, but I'd like to point out that the Seahags and Saints had essentially the same degree of difficulty in schedule, and Wilson had, by your observation fewer weapons. He won more games, won more game in comeback situations, committed fewer turnovers, was accurate and was a consistent running threat (behind only Scam Newton in yards and efficiency).

The takeaway is that Wilson was more consistent and dangerous than Brees and it showed because he won 4 more games and made it to the playoffs.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com