Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Saints at Panthers TNF Gameday Thread

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by 44Champs But not when it counted most. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk It was zone coverage. Most absurd call of the day on defense....

Like Tree49Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2016, 11:20 PM   #141
Threaded by brees84
1000 Posts +
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,015

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

Originally Posted by 44Champs View Post
But not when it counted most.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
It was zone coverage. Most absurd call of the day on defense.
RailBoss and 44Champs like this.
Views: 32435
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:25 PM   #142
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: D.C.
Posts: 6,213
Re: Saints at Panthers TNF Gameday Thread

That was our chance right there, pretty much sealed the deal on the season.
RailBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:21 AM   #143
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C
Posts: 2,225
Re: Saints at Panthers TNF Gameday Thread

Originally Posted by brees84 View Post
Biggest play of the game and you play ZONE DEFENSE! 4 man rush. Yes, give him time to find open man. This coaching decisions are reaching new level of stupidity. Even Collisworth called him out. (allen or whoever calls plays on defense, saw Payton during game being unusually active when defense was on the field).
DA did this last week too....he'll learn that's how Denver was completing a lot of their passes on 3rd down or at least call a zone blitz...
RailBoss likes this.
Rell&Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #144
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 17,551
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Saints at Panthers TNF Gameday Thread

Originally Posted by brees84 View Post
It was zone coverage. Most absurd call of the day on defense.
Collinsworth questioned that play as well but for me, the lack of urgency down by 20 was a bit surprising.
dizzle88 likes this.
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #145
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 17,551
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Saints at Panthers TNF Gameday Thread

FWIW I think the defense (specifically the D line) is really encouraging. Craig Robertson has been solid (so is Ellerbe when he plays), Moore & Webb (credit DA & AGlenn) are doing a good job to say they were on the couch a few months ago.

Resigning Nick Fairley should be a priority this off season. I know many didn't initially like signing (some labeled him a thug/lazy/unmotivated etc) however he has been disruptive since opening day of TC & Rankins looks like a player at this level.

The special teams though ... oh boy.

Any other thoughts on the defense?
44Champs and ChrisXVI like this.

“The greater the difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it.” – Epicurus
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #146
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,037
Re: Saints at Panthers TNF Gameday Thread

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
FWIW I think the defense (specifically the D line) is really encouraging. Craig Robertson has been solid (so is Ellerbe when he plays), Moore & Webb (credit DA & AGlenn) are doing a good job to say they were on the couch a few months ago.

Resigning Nick Fairley should be a priority this off season. I know many didn't initially like signing (some labeled him a thug/lazy/unmotivated etc) however he has been disruptive since opening day of TC & Rankins looks like a player at this level.

The special teams though ... oh boy.

Any other thoughts on the defense?
Ken Crawley had a very good game and Vonn Bell is solid as a tackler.

The defense has been playing very well, as you said Nick Fairley being signed should be a priority, that tackle for a loss was incredible. His burst off the line is very impressive a guy of his size.
K Major likes this.
dizzle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #147
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 10,174
Re: Saints at Panthers TNF Gameday Thread

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
FWIW I think the defense (specifically the D line) is really encouraging. Craig Robertson has been solid (so is Ellerbe when he plays), Moore & Webb (credit DA & AGlenn) are doing a good job to say they were on the couch a few months ago.

Resigning Nick Fairley should be a priority this off season. I know many didn't initially like signing (some labeled him a thug/lazy/unmotivated etc) however he has been disruptive since opening day of TC & Rankins looks like a player at this level.

The special teams though ... oh boy.

Any other thoughts on the defense?
Are you content with Robertson at Mike beyond this season? Or do you think we inevitably release Ellerbe, moving Robertson over to the weak side and find ourselves our 3rd new Mike in as many years?
ChrisXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #148
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 17,551
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Saints at Panthers TNF Gameday Thread

Originally Posted by ChrisXVI View Post
Are you content with Robertson at Mike beyond this season? Or do you think we inevitably release Ellerbe, moving Robertson over to the weak side and find ourselves our 3rd new Mike in as many years?
It's my opinion that this Saints team will need to know if Stephone Anthony has improved/progressed by the end of this season and no, I'm not "content" with Craig @ MIKE (however he has played well) but I need a natural. I'd slide him over to OLB.

Ellerbe is very good when he plays however I think the Saints FO move on from him this off season. Dude just can't help us consistently & that's a shame because he is a damn good player .
ChrisXVI likes this.
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #149
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 10,174
Re: Saints at Panthers TNF Gameday Thread

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
It's my opinion that this Saints team will need to know if Stephone Anthony has improved/progressed by the end of this season and no, I'm not "content" with Craig @ MIKE (however he has played well) but I need a natural. I'd slide him over to OLB.

Ellerbe is very good when he plays however I think the Saints FO move on from him this off season. Dude just can't help us consistently & that's a shame because he is a damn good player .
Yeah I guess there are some variables involved. I agree that Robertson would be a better fit on the weak side. I wish there could be a miracle and we could keep the Ellerbe/Robertson tandem because they've looked phenomenal together these last two games but we know it won't last.
K Major likes this.
ChrisXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #150
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,037
Re: Saints at Panthers TNF Gameday Thread

Robertson, Fairley and Stupar are probably 3 of the best defensive signings we've had in a long time.

Further showing you don't need to break the bank (Jairus Byrd) to get players that work well.
44Champs likes this.
dizzle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
panthers, saints

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://blackandgold.com/saints/80445-saints-panthers-tnf-gameday-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 11-17-2016 07:13 PM 1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts