Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Strief: Saints "hit the lottery" with rookie receiver Butler

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Itís no secret, at least to those following Saints training camp, that the Black and Gold may have found a true diamond in the rough in undrafted rookie receiver Emmanuel Butler. The Northern Arizona product slipped below the radar thanks ...

Like Tree13Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2019, 04:12 AM   #1
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 17,825
Strief: Saints "hit the lottery" with rookie receiver Butler

Itís no secret, at least to those following Saints training camp, that the Black and Gold may have found a true diamond in the rough in undrafted rookie receiver Emmanuel Butler. The Northern Arizona product slipped below the radar thanks in part to a truncated senior season. Butler played just two games before suffering a shoulder injury.

But Butler has been turning heads in New Orleans during his first NFL training camp, and the voice of the Saints Zach Strief says the team believes he could be a star in the making.

Read More
https://wwl.radio.com/blogs/mark-men...eceiver-butler
SmashMouth likes this.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. ~ Henry David Thoreau
TheOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 16,181
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Strief: Saints "hit the lottery" with rookie receiver Butler

Zach Strief has seen a lot of football and having him praise Emmanuel Butler the way he has speaks volumes on Emmanuel Butler's ability. Terrific news to hear on a young rookie.

Rishard Matthews is another WR who has continued to impress.
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lafayette
Posts: 6,915
Re: Strief: Saints "hit the lottery" with rookie receiver Butler

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
Zach Strief has seen a lot of football and having him praise Emmanuel Butler the way he has speaks volumes on Emmanuel Butler's ability. Terrific news to hear on a young rookie.

Rishard Matthews is another WR who has continued to impress.


Glad to hear he was back on the practice field at least running around.
st thomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:04 AM   #4
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lafayette
Posts: 6,915
Re: Strief: Saints "hit the lottery" with rookie receiver Butler

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
Zach Strief has seen a lot of football and having him praise Emmanuel Butler the way he has speaks volumes on Emmanuel Butler's ability. Terrific news to hear on a young rookie.

Rishard Matthews is another WR who has continued to impress.


Itís going to be interesting at the end . Practice squads , cuts , Ted G. Has to be feeling it. Kirkwood tre Smith , Carr , cobbs , lil j Humphrey, Butler , Matthews, C . Grayson Donte Harris , and T. Dural.
st thomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #5
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 16,181
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Strief: Saints "hit the lottery" with rookie receiver Butler

Originally Posted by st thomas View Post
It’s going to be interesting at the end . Practice squads , cuts , Ted G. Has to be feeling it. Kirkwood tre Smith , Carr , cobbs , lil j Humphrey, Butler , Matthews, C . Grayson Donte Harris , and T. Dural.
It's still early however Carr, Southlake aka Jordan Humphries, Dural & Donte' Harris must have solid showings in the pre season games.

Hell, even Pat Swilling has been praising Emmanuel Butler. Refers to him as #17 ...
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #6
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 34,023
Blog Entries: 37
Re: Strief: Saints "hit the lottery" with rookie receiver Butler

It's still early, but based on what we've seen, I'd say we're keeping six (6)...

WR-X (2) 13 - Michael Thomas, 18 - Keith Kirkwood, 17 - Emmanuel Butler (UDFA 2019)

WR-S (2) 12 - Rishard Matthews (FA 2019)

WR-Z (2) 19 - Ted Ginn, 10 - Tra'Quan Smith

83 - Cyril Grayson (UDFA 2019) will have to beat out 35 - Marcus Sherels (FA 2019) for the PR job - and from early reports, it's Sherels' job at this time...


Of note, though @CantGuardMike is our top X-Receiver, Payton moves him into the slot on three-WR-down sets and Kirkwood, Butler will enter as the third WR relieving Thomas on the outside...

It's also possible Rishard Matthews slips up, but Payton has been positive on him in press conferences; Grayson has an uphill climb, but I've love to see him force his way onto our roster...

It's not that my way is the right way, I just make the right way my way...
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 27,709
Blog Entries: 29
Re: Strief: Saints "hit the lottery" with rookie receiver Butler

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
It's still early, but based on what we've seen, I'd say we're keeping six (6)...

WR-X (2) 13 - Michael Thomas, 18 - Keith Kirkwood, 17 - Emmanuel Butler (UDFA 2019)

WR-S (2) 12 - Rishard Matthews (FA 2019)

WR-Z (2) 19 - Ted Ginn, 10 - Tra'Quan Smith

83 - Cyril Grayson (UDFA 2019) will have to beat out 35 - Marcus Sherels (FA 2019) for the PR job - and from early reports, it's Sherels' job at this time...


Of note, though @CantGuardMike is our top X-Receiver, Payton moves him into the slot on three-WR-down sets and Kirkwood, Butler will enter as the third WR relieving Thomas on the outside...

It's also possible Rishard Matthews slips up, but Payton has been positive on him in press conferences; Grayson has an uphill climb, but I've love to see him force his way onto our roster...
Not sold on number 12. Keep an eye on number 15.
Rell&Gold likes this.
SmashMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #8
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 16,181
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Strief: Saints "hit the lottery" with rookie receiver Butler

Originally Posted by SmashMouth View Post
Not sold on number 12. Keep an eye on number 15.
Ah ... my darkhorse Simmie Cobbs.

Serious competition at WR.
SmashMouth and Rell&Gold like this.
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #9
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 16,181
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Strief: Saints "hit the lottery" with rookie receiver Butler

18 - Keith Kirkwood ...

He's missed quite a few practices as of late.
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #10
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,033
Re: Strief: Saints "hit the lottery" with rookie receiver Butler

Grayson seems to be doing enough and probably does well in PS but the blocking. We have to have the big bodies springing the run.

Even if Grayson has a couple of monster returns, maybe the PS and inserted mid season due to injury. He's a serious longshot.
Beastmode is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://blackandgold.com/saints/94486-strief-saints-hit-lottery-rookie-receiver-butler.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Strief: Saints "hit the lottery" with rookie receiver Butler This thread Refback 08-08-2019 05:03 AM 1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts