Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Early Mock Draft Has Saints Picking An LSU WR?

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by AsylumGuido No need to brace. We won't have postseason disappointment because we won't be going to the playoffs. Some need to brace themselves for that very real possibility. I知 accepting that AG we have to feel this ...

Like Tree42Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2020, 04:54 PM   #41
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lafayette
Posts: 6,916
Re: Early Mock Draft Has Saints Picking An LSU WR?

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
No need to brace. We won't have postseason disappointment because we won't be going to the playoffs. Some need to brace themselves for that very real possibility.


I知 accepting that AG we have to feel this thing out with or not with the master


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
st thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:57 PM   #42
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 10,413
Re: Early Mock Draft Has Saints Picking An LSU WR?

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
Predictable response. If Drew is playing, he's carrying the team. If he's not playing, and the team is winning, the defense is carrying the team.

With all due respect, the correct answer is the TEAM wins games. When Drew was still in his prime, but the defense was bad, the team went 7-9 a bunch of times, and 8-8 once. If you're going to win, you need to have a good team. That should be plainly obvious to any reasonable observer.

Did the defense carry the Saints against the Bucs the first time? No. Did they carry the team against Chicago? No. Seattle? No. In all of those games there was a combination of offense, defense and special teams. When Drew came back, did they score more points? If they did, it was negligible. Did they have a better winning percentage? No. The offense needed a couple of weeks to find it's bearings after Drew went down, and once it did, it was on a roll. They found a new identity. One very similar to what the Titans used to go from 2-4, to one game short of the Super Bowl.

I'd say the Saints definitely have more talent than Tennessee, and if they could figure it out with Tannehill, I think the Saints can do better. When Drew came back, the team went back to playing unbalanced offense, and a lack of consistent ball control.

Be careful what I wish for? What is it you believe I'm wishing for? Drew is declining. I should want to stay on a sinking ship, shoveling water out by hand, while the ocean swallows it up? No. This team has talent. It can win with decent QB play, but it's not likely to get over the top. Start developing someone now, rather than flaming out with an aging QB, with no plan for the future.
As long as that aging QB is better than the alternative I want him out there. It is your prerogative to feel differently. I just don't want to hear your *****ing about QB play post Brees.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:59 PM   #43
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 10,413
Re: Early Mock Draft Has Saints Picking An LSU WR?

Originally Posted by st thomas View Post
I知 accepting that AG we have to feel this thing out with or not with the master


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A diminishing Brees is still heads and shoulders better than the next closest option. Until he clearly isn't I want him out there giving us our best chance.
Rugby Saint II likes this.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:03 PM   #44
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lafayette
Posts: 6,916
Re: Early Mock Draft Has Saints Picking An LSU WR?

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
A diminishing Brees is still heads and shoulders better than the next closest option. Until he clearly isn't I want him out there giving us our best chance.


Ok I知 gonna say a quote as per zimmer: we want drew Brees in the game on last drive oooooh


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
st thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:04 PM   #45
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 5,403
Re: Early Mock Draft Has Saints Picking An LSU WR?

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
Predictable response. If Drew is playing, he's carrying the team. If he's not playing, and the team is winning, the defense is carrying the team.

With all due respect, the correct answer is the TEAM wins games. When Drew was still in his prime, but the defense was bad, the team went 7-9 a bunch of times, and 8-8 once. If you're going to win, you need to have a good team. That should be plainly obvious to any reasonable observer.

Did the defense carry the Saints against the Bucs the first time? No. Did they carry the team against Chicago? No. Seattle? No. In all of those games there was a combination of offense, defense and special teams. When Drew came back, did they score more points? If they did, it was negligible. Did they have a better winning percentage? No. The offense needed a couple of weeks to find it's bearings after Drew went down, and once it did, it was on a roll. They found a new identity. One very similar to what the Titans used to go from 2-4, to one game short of the Super Bowl.

I'd say the Saints definitely have more talent than Tennessee, and if they could figure it out with Tannehill, I think the Saints can do better. When Drew came back, the team went back to playing unbalanced offense, and a lack of consistent ball control.

Be careful what I wish for? What is it you believe I'm wishing for? Drew is declining. I should want to stay on a sinking ship, shoveling water out by hand, while the ocean swallows it up? No. This team has talent. It can win with decent QB play, but it's not likely to get over the top. Start developing someone now, rather than flaming out with an aging QB, with no plan for the future.
No doubt about the decline. There has been quite a few times he should have rolled out to extend plays and instead watched the pocket collapse in his face.
Really never had to much to run all that much to be honest, he's had the benefit of good to great O-line play since he's been here. I agree when he's behind C that we get away from a balanced O.
burningmetal and K Major like this.
halloween 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #46
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,853
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Early Mock Draft Has Saints Picking An LSU WR?

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
As long as that aging QB is better than the alternative I want him out there. It is your prerogative to feel differently. I just don't want to hear your *****ing about QB play post Brees.
The aging QB did not prove, this year, to be better than the alternative who immediately stepped into his place.

You don't want to hear my "*****ing" about QB play post Brees? You already don't want to hear any dissenting opinion about QB play, present Brees. Plain and simple, you just don't want to accept reality regarding Brees. And that is YOUR prerogative. But you don't have any facts to support your assertions.
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:21 PM   #47
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 10,413
Re: Early Mock Draft Has Saints Picking An LSU WR?

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
The aging QB did not prove, this year, to be better than the alternative who immediately stepped into his place.

You don't want to hear my "*****ing" about QB play post Brees? You already don't want to hear any dissenting opinion about QB play, present Brees. Plain and simple, you just don't want to accept reality regarding Brees. And that is YOUR prerogative. But you don't have any facts to support your assertions.
Are you serious? Did you see the stat comparisons between Brees and Bridgewater this season. Teddy didn't play near as efficiently as Brees. He was the recipient of the defense at its healthiest playing out their asses. Brees outplayed Bridgewater in virtually every category. I gave you those facts.

Reposted here:

In 2019 Brees averaged more yards per attempt (7.9 to 7.1), more yards per completion (10.6 to 10.4), double the touchdowns per attempt (7.1 to 4.6), better completion percentage (74.3 to 67.9), far higher QB rate (116.3 to 99.1), much higher QBR (74.2 to 45.0), and much lower sack percent (3.1% to 5.8%) than Bridgewater. And these are just a few of the stats where Brees clearly outperformed Teddy.

18-1 Baby!
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:26 PM   #48
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 10,413
Re: Early Mock Draft Has Saints Picking An LSU WR?

After Brees returned to the staring lineup we lost FOUR of our eleven defensive starters. That's over 36% of our starting defensive lineup. Kiko Alonzo, Anzalone, Rankins and Davenport. That wasn't on Brees.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #49
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 10,413
Re: Early Mock Draft Has Saints Picking An LSU WR?

Originally Posted by halloween 65 View Post
No doubt about the decline. There has been quite a few times he should have rolled out to extend plays and instead watched the pocket collapse in his face.
Really never had to much to run all that much to be honest, he's had the benefit of good to great O-line play since he's been here. I agree when he's behind C that we get away from a balanced O.
And what did Bridgewater do when Peat acted as a turnstile? He got sacked at TWICE the rate as did Brees.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #50
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,853
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Early Mock Draft Has Saints Picking An LSU WR?

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Are you serious? Did you see the stat comparisons between Brees and Bridgewater this season. Teddy didn't play near as efficiently as Brees. He was the recipient of the defense at its healthiest playing out their asses. Brees outplayed Bridgewater in virtually every category. I gave you those facts.

Reposted here:

In 2019 Brees averaged more yards per attempt (7.9 to 7.1), more yards per completion (10.6 to 10.4), double the touchdowns per attempt (7.1 to 4.6), better completion percentage (74.3 to 67.9), far higher QB rate (116.3 to 99.1), much higher QBR (74.2 to 45.0), and much lower sack percent (3.1% to 5.8%) than Bridgewater. And these are just a few of the stats where Brees clearly outperformed Teddy.
And I suppose you're going to conveniently ignore what I said about the offense needing a couple weeks to find it's bearings after Drew went down?

Sean wouldn't even allow Teddy to attempt anything beyond 15 yards. He was scared to let him play, because he hadn't started a meaningful game in three years. Once the training wheels started to come off, the offense was efficient, and so was he. Was he a star? No. I'm not in favor of him as the heir apparent, as I think his ceiling is limited, but his floor is good enough that we don't really take a step back from Drew, at THIS stage of his career.

That's why I'd look to draft a QB now, and let him sit behind Brees for what will likely be his last year.
K Major likes this.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://blackandgold.com/saints/96904-early-mock-draft-has-saints-picking-lsu-wr.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Early Mock Draft Has Saints Picking An LSU WR? This thread Refback 01-28-2020 06:32 AM 4


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts