Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Bounce-back third year earns Marcus Williams a spot among top 40 NFL players

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; By John Sigler | Saints Wire New Orleans Saints free safety Marcus Williams has a bad rap among some fans. Itís because thereís this perception that he plays small in big moments ó like his whiffed tackles on deep passes ...

Like Tree19Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2020, 07:31 AM   #1
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 15,953
Blog Entries: 1
Bounce-back third year earns Marcus Williams a spot among top 40 NFL players



By John Sigler | Saints Wire

New Orleans Saints free safety Marcus Williams has a bad rap among some fans. Itís because thereís this perception that he plays small in big moments ó like his whiffed tackles on deep passes in last seasonís loss to the San Francisco 49ers. There have been a handful of mistakes in critical moments from the 23-year-old starter, and a vocal contingent in Saints social media circles and fan forums are determined to zero in on those few bad plays against the 2,800-plus other snaps Williams has seen since the Saints drafted him.

To hear them tell it, Williams is an unreliable player who should be traded at the first opportunity. However, the analysts at Pro Football Focus are here to sweep that misconception away. Their snap-by-snap grading proved Williams isnít just a good player; heís one of the NFLís best, ranking at No. 38 on their list of the top 101 players of 2019:

This season saw Marcus Williams return to the level of play that we saw from him as a rookie, and he ended the season with an overall PFF grade of 88.9. ...

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2020...op-101-grades/
jeanpierre likes this.

"Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding". Albert Einstein
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:06 AM   #2
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,098
Re: Bounce-back third year earns Marcus Williams a spot among top 40 NFL players

Sure, I get it... he is great 98% of the time. Our problem is the 2% of the time he sucks come out in absolutely backbreaking moments. I would rather have a guy that gave up a play or 5 here and there but made the big play when it really mattered.

Yes, great, he picked off Winston 20 times in a game that meant nothing, but that sure looks great for PFF stats. I would just settle for him making a tackle in the open field without grabbing a face-mask, or completely missing the tackle and hitting his own guy...

Sad part is I know Williams (friend of friends), I have met him and talked to him. He is a great kid and has a solid head on his shoulders, but man he needs to be clutch when it matters.

For the record I don't want to see him go anywhere, he is young and can develop. He needs to do that before getting a big payday though.

The Saints are 0-42 when running the ball less than 15 times in a game.
blackangold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #3
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 15,953
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Bounce-back third year earns Marcus Williams a spot among top 40 NFL players

Just my straight forward observation on Marcus ...

He has bad situational awareness & is a poor tackler. As a SAFETY, you must be very good in this area. This is 3 years in the Saints defensive system. I've seen enough games to say his range is good. My greatest fear is that this young guy goes elsewhere and balls like M Jenkins did.

But to B&G's point, he's not clutch (see Thielan catch when he was late) when you have to be clutch.

Dennis Allen? Aaron Glenn ? ... not "coaching him up" perhaps?
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 18,341
Re: Bounce-back third year earns Marcus Williams a spot among top 40 NFL players

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
Just my straight forward observation on Marcus ...

He has bad situational awareness & is a poor tackler. As a SAFETY, you must be very good in this area. This is 3 years in the Saints defensive system. I've seen enough games to say his range is good. My greatest fear is that this young guy goes elsewhere and balls like M Jenkins did.

But to B&G's point, he's not clutch (see Thielan catch when he was late) when you have to be clutch.

Dennis Allen? Aaron Glenn ? ... not "coaching him up" perhaps?
I'm just seriously disappointed in his overall play. I don't think he's a very good center fielder and is almost always late to the play where he misses the tackle.
Rugby Saint II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:13 AM   #5
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,159
Re: Bounce-back third year earns Marcus Williams a spot among top 40 NFL players

Originally Posted by blackangold View Post
Sure, I get it... he is great 98% of the time. Our problem is the 2% of the time he sucks come out in absolutely backbreaking moments. I would rather have a guy that gave up a play or 5 here and there but made the big play when it really mattered.

Yes, great, he picked off Winston 20 times in a game that meant nothing, but that sure looks great for PFF stats. I would just settle for him making a tackle in the open field without grabbing a face-mask, or completely missing the tackle and hitting his own guy...

Sad part is I know Williams (friend of friends), I have met him and talked to him. He is a great kid and has a solid head on his shoulders, but man he needs to be clutch when it matters.

For the record I don't want to see him go anywhere, he is young and can develop. He needs to do that before getting a big payday though.
I agree with this, except I'd say it's 50% of the time. He's inconsistent and gets burned when we play decent teams. See the 49ers when they came in and shredded our whole secondary.
CHA_CHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:16 AM   #6
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,159
Re: Bounce-back third year earns Marcus Williams a spot among top 40 NFL players

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
Just my straight forward observation on Marcus ...

He has bad situational awareness & is a poor tackler. As a SAFETY, you must be very good in this area. This is 3 years in the Saints defensive system. I've seen enough games to say his range is good. My greatest fear is that this young guy goes elsewhere and balls like M Jenkins did.

But to B&G's point, he's not clutch (see Thielan catch when he was late) when you have to be clutch.

Dennis Allen? Aaron Glenn ? ... not "coaching him up" perhaps?
Allen needs to be fired. I cannot believe Saints fans still defend him. It's why I say repeatedly - the non-call and other bad calls or non-calls are just a shiny object waved in front of your face. The biggest issue is the guy calling the defense that always craps themselves in crunch time. Payton also deserves criticism for some of his poor game planning, and especially Brees for his poor play in the playoffs the last 3 years.

Spags has 2 rings now. If anyone wants to reply to that with "but he coached the worst defense ever!", and so did Allen! The 2015 Saints broke records of the 2012 team. The 2016 defense gave up more pass TDs than the 2012 team.

We have the talent, we just have a mediocre coach on defense. If they had a better coach, the potential is there for them to be dominant. We saw that in 2018 and in brief parts of 2017 and 2019.
Rugby Saint II and K Major like this.
CHA_CHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:05 AM   #7
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,583
Re: Bounce-back third year earns Marcus Williams a spot among top 40 NFL players

Fake news.
RefsRobbedUs likes this.
WillMacKenzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #8
100th Post
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 231
Re: Bounce-back third year earns Marcus Williams a spot among top 40 NFL players

PFF is not the gospel. You have guys who would never be hired by an NFL team doing 'player grades'
RefsRobbedUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #9
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 9,534
Re: Bounce-back third year earns Marcus Williams a spot among top 40 NFL players

Originally Posted by RefsRobbedUs View Post
PFF is not the gospel. You have guys who would never be hired by an NFL team doing 'player grades'
I believe the grading in done by persons who are experts in each of the positions. I know former NFL QB Bruce Gradkowski is one of the QB graders.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #10
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,583
Re: Bounce-back third year earns Marcus Williams a spot among top 40 NFL players

The great Bruce Gradkowski?
WillMacKenzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://blackandgold.com/saints/96999-bounce-back-third-year-earns-marcus-williams-spot-among-top-40-nfl.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Bounce-back third year earns Marcus Williams a spot among top 40 NFL players This thread Refback 02-06-2020 09:31 AM 6


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts