Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Source: Cole Wick to skip Saints season, is first known player on team to opt out

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Now this is going to be a major blow. Seriously, Wick's decision was a no-brainer. He wasn't going to make the roster anyway and now he's guaranteed $350K. Sweet deal. Source: Cole Wick to skip Saints season, is first known ...

Like Tree7Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2020, 04:35 PM   #1
Threaded by AsylumGuido
10000 POST CLUB
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 10,613

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

Now this is going to be a major blow. Seriously, Wick's decision was a no-brainer. He wasn't going to make the roster anyway and now he's guaranteed $350K. Sweet deal.

Source: Cole Wick to skip Saints season, is first known player on team to opt out

BY AMIE JUST | STAFF WRITER PUBLISHED JUL 28, 2020 AT 10:38 AM | UPDATED JUL 28, 2020 AT 1:31 PM

New Orleans Saints tight end Cole Wick has opted out of the upcoming 2020 season because of his asthma, a source confirmed to The Times-Picayune | New Orleans Advocate on Tuesday.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero was the first to report the news, while Yahoo Sports' Eric Edholm was the first to report the reason behind Wick's opt out.

Wick is the first known Saints player to opt out of the 2020 season out of coronavirus concerns. Players have until Aug. 3 to opt out if they so choose. Players who elect to sit out the 2020 season cannot opt back in at any point.

Because Wick is opting out because of a medical condition, he can earn $350,000 and an accrued season for 2020. Players who willingly opt out without a medical condition can earn a $150,000 salary advance, but will not accrue an earned season.

The Saints signed Wick to the practice squad during Week 17 on Dec. 27 after they waived tight end Jerell Adams.

Wick has been in the NFL since 2016 after finishing his collegiate career at FCS Incarnate Word. The fifth-year tight end played for the Detroit Lions as a rookie, suiting up in six games and catching two passes for 18 yards.

He played for the San Francisco 49ers from 2017-18, playing in five games during the 2018 season.

Since then, he's been a member of the Tennessee Titans (2018) and the Oakland Raiders (2019).

Read the rest here ...
Views: 1350
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #2
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,967
Re: Source: Cole Wick to skip Saints season, is first known player on team to opt out

0-16. Damn.
jnormand and SmashMouth like this.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:37 PM   #3
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 10,613
Re: Source: Cole Wick to skip Saints season, is first known player on team to opt out

Oh, no! Jason Vander Laan has also choosen to take the money and opt out from the Saints. What are we going to do? There goes our best two TE's.

AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 10,613
Re: Source: Cole Wick to skip Saints season, is first known player on team to opt out

Jason: Hello?

Cole: Hey, Jason, dude! Cole here. Just found out if you can come up with a medical excuse you can opt out, get credit for the season and, f***ing get this, dude ... $350K!

Jason: Are you sh!tting me? You mean we don't even have to go to camp?

Cole: Yeah, dude! Free, frickin' money! Hell, you know we weren't making the team anyway, right?

Jason: Gotta go, man. Need to call Mr. Loomis right away. I think I got asthma.

Cole: No, I have that.

Jason: Okay, cool. I'll come up with something. Too frickin' cool!!

17-2 Baby!
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 18,685
Re: Source: Cole Wick to skip Saints season, is first known player on team to opt out

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Jason: Hello?

Cole: Hey, Jason, dude! Cole here. Just found out if you can come up with a medical excuse you can opt out, get credit for the season and, f***ing get this, dude ... $350K!

Jason: Are you sh!tting me? You mean we don't even have to go to camp?

Cole: Yeah, dude! Free, frickin' money! Hell, you know we weren't making the team anyway, right?

Jason: Gotta go, man. Need to call Mr. Loomis right away. I think I got asthma.

Cole: No, I have that.

Jason: Okay, cool. I'll come up with something. Too frickin' cool!!
You missed your calling Guido. You write a good comedy.

The thing is though, it probably went down just like that!
SaintFanQ likes this.
Rugby Saint II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:17 AM   #6
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 10,613
Re: Source: Cole Wick to skip Saints season, is first known player on team to opt out

Running total here. Twenty-five out of 2880 players have opted out. Really out of 2881 since Larry Warford opted out and he's not even on a roster.

Baltimore Ravens

OT Andre Smith (story)
WR De’Anthony Thomas (story)

Buffalo Bills

DT Star Lotulelei (story)

Carolina Panthers

LB Jordan Mack

Chicago Bears

DT Eddie Goldman (story)

Dallas Cowboys

CB Maurice Canady (story)
WR Stephen Guidry

Denver Broncos

DT Kyle Peko

Green Bay Packers

WR Devin Funchess (story)

Houston Texans

DL Eddie Vanderdoes

Kansas City Chiefs

G Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (story)

Minnesota Vikings

NT Michael Pierce (story)

New England Patriots

S Patrick Chung (story)
LB Dont’a Hightower (story)
OT Marcus Cannon (story)
RB Brandon Bolden (story)
FB Danny Vitale (story)
OL Najee Toran

New Orleans Saints

TE Jason Vander Laan
TE Cole Wick

New York Jets

OL Leo Koloamatangi
Philadelphia Eagles

WR Marquise Goodwin

Seattle Seahawks

G Chance Warmack (story)

Tennessee Titans

OL Anthony McKinney

Washington Football Team

DL Caleb Brantley

Free agents

G Larry Warford

17-2 Baby!
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:13 AM   #7
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,967
Re: Source: Cole Wick to skip Saints season, is first known player on team to opt out

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Jason: Hello?

Cole: Hey, Jason, dude! Cole here. Just found out if you can come up with a medical excuse you can opt out, get credit for the season and, f***ing get this, dude ... $350K!

Jason: Are you sh!tting me? You mean we don't even have to go to camp?

Cole: Yeah, dude! Free, frickin' money! Hell, you know we weren't making the team anyway, right?

Jason: Gotta go, man. Need to call Mr. Loomis right away. I think I got asthma.

Cole: No, I have that.

Jason: Okay, cool. I'll come up with something. Too frickin' cool!!
Mr. Do As I Say, Not as I Do. Click image for larger version

Name:	clown.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	13480 Can't even heed your own "Advice" can you?


[QUOTE=AsylumGuido;]
"......... Your humor is undoubtedly taken as news to the hundreds of people that visit this site and never post. It is also taken as fact to many of the IGNORANT INDIVIDUALS that do post. I'm not saying that your contributions are not wanted, but consider the least common denominator and how what you say can, and will, be taken and run with as gospel."
vpheughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #8
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 27,851
Blog Entries: 29
Re: Source: Cole Wick to skip Saints season, is first known player on team to opt out

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Now this is going to be a major blow. Seriously, Wick's decision was a no-brainer. He wasn't going to make the roster anyway and now he's guaranteed $350K. Sweet deal.

Source: Cole Wick to skip Saints season, is first known player on team to opt out

BY AMIE JUST | STAFF WRITER PUBLISHED JUL 28, 2020 AT 10:38 AM | UPDATED JUL 28, 2020 AT 1:31 PM

New Orleans Saints tight end Cole Wick has opted out of the upcoming 2020 season because of his asthma, a source confirmed to The Times-Picayune | New Orleans Advocate on Tuesday.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero was the first to report the news, while Yahoo Sports' Eric Edholm was the first to report the reason behind Wick's opt out.

Wick is the first known Saints player to opt out of the 2020 season out of coronavirus concerns. Players have until Aug. 3 to opt out if they so choose. Players who elect to sit out the 2020 season cannot opt back in at any point.

Because Wick is opting out because of a medical condition, he can earn $350,000 and an accrued season for 2020. Players who willingly opt out without a medical condition can earn a $150,000 salary advance, but will not accrue an earned season.

The Saints signed Wick to the practice squad during Week 17 on Dec. 27 after they waived tight end Jerell Adams.

Wick has been in the NFL since 2016 after finishing his collegiate career at FCS Incarnate Word. The fifth-year tight end played for the Detroit Lions as a rookie, suiting up in six games and catching two passes for 18 yards.

He played for the San Francisco 49ers from 2017-18, playing in five games during the 2018 season.

Since then, he's been a member of the Tennessee Titans (2018) and the Oakland Raiders (2019).

Read the rest here ...


WHO?

As if they were going to even make the team. Maybe that's why they did it.
SmashMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #9
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 10,613
Re: Source: Cole Wick to skip Saints season, is first known player on team to opt out

Originally Posted by SmashMouth View Post
WHO?

As if they were going to even make the team. Maybe that's why they did it.
That why most of them will be opting out. Still only 25 the latest I heard.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:00 AM   #10
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 10,613
Re: Source: Cole Wick to skip Saints season, is first known player on team to opt out

[quote=vpheughan;893222]Mr. Do As I Say, Not as I Do. Attachment 13480 Can't even heed your own "Advice" can you?


Originally Posted by AsylumGuido;
"......... Your humor is undoubtedly taken as news to the hundreds of people that visit this site and never post. It is also taken as fact to many of the IGNORANT INDIVIDUALS that do post. I'm not saying that your contributions are not wanted, but consider the least common denominator and how what you say can, and will, be taken and run with as gospel."
What is your problem? You are beyond strange.

K Major likes this.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts