Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Support > Website Support Forum

No Animated gifs allowed?

this is a discussion within the Website Support Forum Community Forum; In Avatar or Sig? It used to..... Any way to enable it if you upload the file?...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #1

No Animated gifs allowed?

In Avatar or Sig?

It used to.....

Any way to enable it if you upload the file?

Last edited by strato; 08-14-2011 at 03:18 PM..
SmashMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
12,000 BS Posts

Re: No Animated gifs allowed?

I'm sure it's just you. Everybody else's sig works fine.
foreverfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
Site Donor MONTHLY

Some of the animated GIF's are too large and making pages load very slowly. I had to turn hosted gif's off because they were eating up bandwidth like it was going out of style.

You can host some and add them as remote images. Make sure they are small enough.

If they are like whole movies, they are too big. You may be running out on the limit on signature image size.

If people have animated gifs, they may just be coming under the file size.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
E. Side Cholo

actually, I dont want this to work. lest somebody might post that lady with the jiggling bosom. Tired of getting dingy's.
skymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
1000 Posts +

Can I upload a gif in photobucket and then shoot a load.... um I mean load it. heheheh
B_Dub_Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
Site Donor MONTHLY

Originally Posted by B_Dub_Saint View Post
Can I upload a gif in photobucket and then shoot a load.... um I mean load it. heheheh
Yeah and notice how your little 784.52 KB signature slows the load time on this very page every time I access it.

That's why we don't allow them. Just pointing that out, not trying to ruffle feathers.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
1000 Posts +

please don't use animated gifs in a forum.

most folks come here to read.

animated things jumping up and down all over the screen aren't condusive with reading.

thanks for caring.
Choupique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
+Mod

I'd like it better if the allowed file size was reduced down a little further something like 250kb is more than enough..
And if anyone want their Gifs reduced in size i'll take them and reduce them down for you, i have a program that does well at compressing gifs..

I have no problems with load times myself because i use Verizon FIOS broadband service, but i've noticed the entire site gets bogged down or even inaccessible at peak times, thats because when we have several of the same people posting with 500KB+ Sig's in one thread and several other people accessing that thread that causes the server processor to crunch a little harder than it need to be doing.
Plus it's just truly unnecessary to have all of that going on, we want this site to be Fun but professional at the sametime.
I'd have no problem with someone attaching an animated heavy gif to their thread post but not in a sig where everytime they post it's loading hundreds/thousands of times when other people open up that same thread where you have posted 3-5 times.
gotta be a little more considerate.. but thats my opinion on that.
Saintswrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:29 AM   #9
E. Side Cholo

Whoa, Halo, I have actually figured out what you're talking about, surprisingly. Here is my guess:

Apparently, animated gif is short for Animated Frank Gifford, as the very first one was a film clip of the hit by Chuck Bednarik. Giffords are those little film clip pieces, such as B_Dubs rolling Saints posse, or that lady with the big boobies I used to have that wiggles back & forth. My wrist still hurts from her.

Apparently everything on the internet needs bandschmidt to survive. Little letters like the ones I'm typing just eat a little bit, like tropical fish.
The more bandscript you need, the longer it takes for something to show up, because it isnt finished eating yet. Hence Giffords are like my son, Kyle at Golden Corral. They're still eating from the bandschipdt buffet, so everyone else has to wait.

I have now graduated to being a leet. I learned that word from my ex girlfriend with red hair & big boobs's teen son who never left his room, and looked exactly like the Jewish cousin on Southpark. He typed it l33t.

So, does this mean my sex life is over? How do I keep my wife from knowing that I've been looking at the animated frank gifford with the wiggling boobs?

Last edited by skymike; 02-02-2010 at 03:32 PM..
skymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
1000 Posts +

Halo makes good points about bandwidth and stuff. Better for me at the moment because I am still on the road and do not have permanent access to internet. Having said all that, I have enjoyed some of the animated gifs on B&G.
UK_WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote