Register All Albums FAQ Community Experience
Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Welcome Wagon - NEW!

One play from the Super Bowl – The play that broke our hearts

this is a discussion within the Welcome Wagon - NEW! Community Forum; I’ve been a Saints fan all my life. I was born in Peoria, Illinois but shortly after I was born my family moved to Kenner, LA and some of my earliest memories are from within the Superdome. It’s been a ...

Closed Thread  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 03:43 AM   #1
Saint Since '78

One play from the Super Bowl – The play that broke our hearts

I’ve been a Saints fan all my life. I was born in Peoria, Illinois but shortly after I was born my family moved to Kenner, LA and some of my earliest memories are from within the Superdome. It’s been a long and hard ride, but all the loyalty and heartbreak to my team finally came to fruition last season when the Saints defeated the Colts in Super Bowl XLIV.

I’ve since moved away from Louisiana. In fact, I’ve lived in Denver, CO since 1989. It’s hard to be a Saints fan in Broncos Country. I’ve had many people over the years try and convert me to their team because “the Saints suck, dude”. My answer to them is always the same. “Once a Saints fan, a Saints fan for life”. Only Saints fans can truly appreciate what exactly this team has done to rejuvenate the city of New Orleans and the entire Gulf Coast. Only a true Saints fan felt the emotion that I felt when Garrett Hartley kicked the game winning field goal in the NFC Championship against the Minnesota Vikings to send our team to its first Super Bowl. I dropped to my knees and collapsed to the ground in tears of joy.

When the Saints defeated the Indianapolis Colts in Super Bowl XLIV I had a lot of people telling me that the Saints were a one hit wonder. I would just laugh at them because their team, the Broncos, was in shambles and knew they just wish their team was in the position that the Saints were in…that the Saints are in. I felt in my heart that the Saints had a legitimate shot at being the first repeat Super Bowl Champ since the New England Patriots.

The 2010 season certainly had its highs and lows. Entering the playoffs I knew, even as a number five seed, that the Saints had a real shot at hosting its second straight NFC Conference Championship. I knew that the Falcons weren’t as good as everyone thought and that the Saints were better than any team in the conference on any given day. The day of the Wild Card game I had a bunch of people telling me that the Saints would lose. I would just chuckle and sit back comfortably in my chair knowing that the Saints would be moving on to the Divisional Round. The Seahawks played out of their minds that day. They had us backed up into a corner but at the start of the fourth quarter I just had this gut feeling that the Saints would come back and pull out the win. With just over nine minutes to go the Saints had cut the deficit from 14 to 4. Plenty of time for Drew Brees & Co.

Then came the play that broke our hearts. That run by Marshawn Lynch made my heart sink to my stomach. The play should have been dead 5 yards in. I kept waiting to see a yellow flag go flying for offensive holding. No flags were flown. No tackles were made. The New Orleans Saints season was over. When the Saints won the Super Bowl less than one year ago I had a feeling of disbelief. A feeling of “did this just happen?” I had that same reaction as time expired in Seattle only with a much different feeling.

As I sat and watched the NFC Championship game in Chicago this past Sunday I couldn’t help but think about how I thought at the start of the playoffs that the Saints could possibly host the NFC Championship. If only they could have figured out a way to get past the Seahawks, the Saints would have had the renewed motivation to go into Chicago and play like the champions that they are and then host the Green Bay Packers for the chance to go to Super Bowl XLV. It was the first time that I have sat and watched the playoffs believing that my team had just as good, if not better, team than either Green Bay or Pittsburgh. In just one play the Saints let destiny slip away. In just one play the Saints went from defending Super Bowl Champions to biggest playoff goat.

As I look ahead to next season I cannot help but smile. I cannot help but think about the opportunity that the Saints will have in front of them. As long as Drew Brees is our quarterback the offense will be fine. The Saints will enter the 2011 NFL Season unnoticed and under the radar. They will probably spend the first half of the season trying to make believers out of the naysayers. The ones who will look at that Wild Card Round defeat as a defining moment for a team on the downward slide. That defeat was definitely a defining moment. A moment that will not fade from the memory of Drew Brees, Sean Payton, Greg Williams or anyone else that was on that team. A moment that they will use as inspiration. A moment that they will never want to experience again. The NFL better watch out for the 2011 New Orleans Saints because this team is poised to make a legitimate run at Super Bowl XLVI.

My name is Eric Schneider and I am a true Saints fan for life.

This is the 1st time that I have posted anything like this so I hope I didn’t bore you to death. I just wanted to introduce myself to blackandgold.com and express my feelings and love for this incredible team.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drew Brees.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	2685  
Old 01-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
Site Donor

"As I look ahead to next season I cannot help but smile. I cannot help but think about the opportunity that the Saints will have in front of them. As long as Drew Brees is our quarterback the offense will be fine. The Saints will enter the 2011 NFL Season unnoticed and under the radar. They will probably spend the first half of the season trying to make believers out of the naysayers. The ones who will look at that Wild Card Round defeat as a defining moment for a team on the downward slide. That defeat was definitely a defining moment. A moment that will not fade from the memory of Drew Brees, Sean Payton, Greg Williams or anyone else that was on that team. A moment that they will use as inspiration. A moment that they will never want to experience again. The NFL better watch out for the 2011 New Orleans Saints because this team is poised to make a legitimate run at Super Bowl XLVI. "

This did not bore me to death. It was a nice read! I live in North Carolina and ever since the Panthers came to town people expected me to convert. Sorry, like you said, once a Saints fan - always a Saints fan. I like the Saints flying under the radar. They are all going to be soooo surprised when the Saints rip the Lombardi back next season. Can't wait!! WHO DAT!

"Six-Four walk the line. TOUCHDOWN Colston!"
Old 01-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
E. Side Cholo

Oh, no bored, hell no. (I tell my kids "boredom" is a failure to imagine, so we dont use the word "bored.")

Nice job Eric. Common sentiments around here, believe me. It amazes me how many real people we're getting on this board. Real name screen names and your actual self as an avatar. Very cool!

Most boards are filled with cartoon characters & pretend sorcerers.

This is me, btw. Im easy to find. Dome season ticket holder, and regular at Houston's Ragin Cajun-- Home of the Hou-Dats. Not to mention you can push a button anywhere west of Orange, and there I am.

Keep the Faith in Denver. Welcome aboard.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
Site Donor 2018

Eric it's nice to know we got a brother there in Colorado...

I feel for you; especially considering on your last ballot there in Colorado ya'll had to vote whether to fund an Extraterrestial Affairs Commission!

No Bullshinski! I mean WTF is happening in this country?!?

It made me feel a little better about Louisiana politics and public funding of the Benson Trust, Tower and Saints...

The only brothers who get more love are those over the DMZ Wall in Falcon territory!
Closed Thread