Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Blogs
  1. Old Comment

Sanity Zone 12-16-2012 Moral Hazard

Never have I heard someone so openly advocate for the killing of grandmothers and I presume, grandfathers everywhere.

You do realize that people who "depend" on Social Security, are people who have had exactly the low wage jobs of which you speak? It is the "reason" they need SS, because a whole life of striving, at the hardest, most thankless jobs, they've ended up not able to save anything. Prices go up, wages go down.

Add to that, Republicans exported the best jobs, the union jobs, that people once aspired to, so the rich could make even more money. Along with that went the taxes of 30 million great, American jobs, the aspirations of the simple American Dream, to work a job, to rise up within the organization to make more. Yes, to actually be able to save.

I'm all for creating jobs for those who can't work. But expecting people to work, when there is an unofficial unemployment rate of close to 20 percent, pretending there are jobs there for everyone, but it's just that vagabond bum won't work them, well, that's just fiction.

We're all interconnected--when you crap on people, it gets flung here and there, you get crap on you, others, your family, your friends, the people you care about (assuming you do) get crap on them. Like it or not, these programs were put in place not as some flight of fancy. They were created to fix a problem, sadly, a problem Republicans mostly, and a few idiot corporate blue-dog democrats have once again put in place.
    Posted 12-21-2012 at 12:27 PM by mike27 mike27 is offline
  2. Old Comment

Gun debates aside, Connecticut tragedy shows a cultural problem

I think it all starts at home. I believe that people are influenced by the things they see and hear, but that is because they aren't raised to know truth from lies, and there are almost no disciplinary actions taken toward kids when they rebel, anymore.

This is why I only place part of the blame on popular culture. Be it music, television, media, or whatever. These people prey on the young and ill informed to either push an agenda, or make a sale. They know that provocativeness is hard to turn away from, no matter what form of it you're talking about (sex, controversy, the endless number of crime shows, etc). They aren't concerned with what kind of example they are making.

But if more parents would teach discipline and real moral values to their children, I believe we would see far less of this crap. Unfortunately, though, with all the political correctness, and all of the bleeding hearts who believe that discipline is the same thing as abuse, kids are doing just about whatever they want and their parents say "whatever makes you happy". Myself, and my siblings were always taught discipline, and we never felt mistreated. But we knew if we acted up there would be consequences. Nowadays, it's practically considered a crime if you so much as raise your voice to a child, or even a teenager. That, in my opinion, is how this generation has become so crass, irresponsible, inconsiderate and disrespectful.

But to commit murder... That takes an inherently evil excuse of a human being. Especially when it involves innocent children. I can't begin to imagine, nor do I want to, how someone could do something like this. People can clamor for all the law changes they want, but evil will do as evil does. God is the only way to stop evil. Many people choose not to believe that. That is their right. I Pray that people make the right choice.
    Posted 12-21-2012 at 06:14 AM by burningmetal burningmetal is offline
  3. Old Comment
    Saint_LB's Avatar

Gun debates aside, Connecticut tragedy shows a cultural problem

We did not have video games with guns and bloodshed when I was a kid...and we didn't ever hear of anything like we hear today almost daily.

Thinking out loud...but if you are playing a video game that involves killing people, isn't it possible that some people may realize that it gives them a charge and possibly wonder what it would be like to really kill someone?

I'm not sure what the real reason is, but I am sure that things are different today and it is time for change. Do we really need to send our kids to school for education in todays computer world? I believe that the days of public school are numbered, as sticking immature brains together to tease and torment each other doesn't seem like such a great idea to me. If we are against getting rid of public schools, is it possible that you have grown accustom to the built in baby sitter and do not want to relinquish it? Maybe you might want to rethink that. JMO, though.
    Posted 12-20-2012 at 08:54 AM by Saint_LB Saint_LB is offline
  4. Old Comment
    xan's Avatar

Gun debates aside, Connecticut tragedy shows a cultural problem

I'm in complete agreement about the compassion angle. There are too many of us sitting in the comfort of our homes, delusional in our safety and connection to our communities. We are emboldened by the fictional anonymity of the internet, firing lasers and flaming rather than interact and discuss. We believe that these sociopathic actions have no consequence. The home based attitude bleeds into our real life, out in the world.

We should be ashamed that we poke fun at a woman's congenital moutsache, or at someone's lack of education, or whatever perceived imperfection we deem to have a morally inferior quality. Without consequence, dignity is an affliction of the weak.
    Posted 12-19-2012 at 02:47 PM by xan xan is offline
  5. Old Comment
    Mardigras9's Avatar

Gun debates aside, Connecticut tragedy shows a cultural problem

"If popular music has no compassion it is because society has none"

Truer words have never been spoken. Cheers!!!
    Posted 12-18-2012 at 02:38 PM by Mardigras9 Mardigras9 is offline
  6. Old Comment

Gun debates aside, Connecticut tragedy shows a cultural problem

I tend to agree about mainstream music at least playing a part in the dumbing down of society, though there are certainly bigger problems. Saintfan, I get what you're saying about music being a reflection of society, and that is partly true, but to Neugey's point, this crap is being force fed to young, impressionable teenagers like never before. You didn't see women walking around half naked, until the madonna's, the britney spears', the beyonce's and all those types made it popular. At least very seldom you did. Now it is just accepted as "freedom of expression". And whereas you might have heard a few people saying words that weren't in the dictionary, you now hear it constantly because of some of the stupid things that are playing on the radio.

Music is just a small part of it, however, and I think this blog covers a lot of that. People have gotten stupid for a number of reasons, but there is a reason for that. The culture HAS indeed been changing drastically over the past couple of decades, and culture is largely driven by what the media and entertainment worlds decide is acceptable.

But people have free will, and should be able to formulate their own thoughts without simply following the latest trends. Unfortunately, with each new generation, the ability to critically think becomes more and more watered down, and parents aren't smart enough themselves to pass on any kind of wisdom to their children. And so whatever is popular becomes the gospel to many people. Nobody wants to take a hard look, if any look at all, at the real problems we're facing. As for the media, I think we all agree that it's all about political agenda. There isn't enough real news being reported anymore. People are being lied to, and they don't seem to have a clue.
    Posted 12-18-2012 at 11:05 AM by burningmetal burningmetal is offline
  7. Old Comment
    saintfan's Avatar

Gun debates aside, Connecticut tragedy shows a cultural problem

I dig where you're coming from, but I don't think I can agree on your correlation to today's music. Sure, it sucks, but to people like my Mom who grew up with 50's and 60's stuff, Led Zeppelin, and Kiss, and Van Halen, and Ozzy, and on and on...that was crap.

Today's stuff, by and large the popular 40, IS crap, no doubt, but that's what sells. Music is a reflection of society, not the other way around. If popular music has no compassion it is because society has none. For heaven's sake, most of the 80's pop (I graduated in 1987) is horrible. I confirmed this by watching 30 minutes of "totally 80's" on VH1 a couple nights ago. It...Is...Turrible...

There are lots of artists making great music today, and 'my girl' Zooey Deschanel (She & Him) is an example, but the industry makes the lot of its money off the teeny boppers. That hasn't changed and I doubt it ever will. The mindset that fostered bands like the Stones, Zeppelin, and so many other "classic rock" bands isn't there, but that's because society is dumbed down, not because today's music made people stupid.

As for the media angle I'm with you 100%. It's disgusting.
    Posted 12-17-2012 at 07:09 PM by saintfan saintfan is offline
  8. Old Comment
    Halo's Avatar

Sanity Zone 12-6-2012 Fear of Flying

The economic situation is sad in the U.S. The facts are the Bush tax cuts were measures taken to stimulate the economy briefly and not intended to be endless. It's not Bush's fault, nor is it Clinton's or Obama's. Our financial systems isn't broken - WE ARE BROKEN! The American financial institution as a whole has been unethical - period. There is NO ethics in private finances and banking - no vision of what could happen.

When things are good, markets run wild like a bull. The wealth and gains force persons and institutions to lends to anyone, like loan-sharks, and without forethought of anything.

When things are bad suddenly institutions are frugal, cutting back... it's a vicious bi-polar circle that we seem to fall into time and time again.

War - no one in this country has a real vested interest in it. I'm speaking from financial standpoint. When the US went to war in WWII, there was a tax imposed to everyone along with borrowing to pay for the war. Beyond that, people purchased war bonds. Citizens worked hard and spared things like oil or anything that could help produce products for the troops.

The past few wars we've engaged in the U.S., we just borrow money and watch the thing happen on CNN. No sparing, no sacrificing, no war tax, no war bonds. WE SUCK! This country IS NOT at war! We merely send our military to do our dirty work and borrow money from others to pay the dole.

We have to pay taxes. Tax code needs to be restructured. We need to pay war taxes if we need to go to war. Collectively as a country we need to learn to live within a National Budget. Whatever we do, we need to do it fast because we're falling from the top.

If we don't learn to manage our National finances quickly we won't die in a blaze of glory... it will be much worse - we'll be owned and controlled by Asiatic countries and our creditors who will dictate how and what we can spend our money on.... receivership will be a b1tch!
    Posted 12-15-2012 at 01:51 PM by Halo Halo is offline
    Updated 12-15-2012 at 01:58 PM by Halo
  9. Old Comment
    SloMotion's Avatar

Could former Saints practice-squad player be the next Jeremy Lin?

UPDATE:

Well, it hasn't exactly been "Bell-Sanity", but after Wk #14 and a 4-9 Lions record, a 5.4yds per carry rushing/9.7yds per reception average AND NO INJURIES, Joquie Bell has provide the Lions with something they haven't seen in a long time, a halfway decent, durable running back to compliment Matthew Stafford. Consistently noted as one of the pleasant surprises (not to this blogger, eh?) of the season.

Keep up the good work, JB!
    Posted 12-14-2012 at 08:22 AM by SloMotion SloMotion is offline
  10. Old Comment
    SloMotion's Avatar

MythBusters; Ndamukong Suh Edition

Since this posting & to his credit, Suh has put together several game performances in keeping with his rookie season. Unfortunately, the Lions still lost and I think this may reflect the crux of the matter. Suh is an individual and might have a hard time performing at a high-level as the member of a team ... just an observation.
    Posted 12-14-2012 at 08:04 AM by SloMotion SloMotion is offline
  11. Old Comment

Sanity Zone 12-6-2012 Fear of Flying

Another nice post by Xan.
    Posted 12-09-2012 at 06:25 AM by jcp026 jcp026 is offline
  12. Old Comment

Sanity Zone 12-6-2012 Fear of Flying

Tell Obama your ideas. I don't know anyone personally who signed up for any of this government's ridiculous policies. How are we supposed to fix something we didn't create? To those who voted for these jack wagons we're dealing with, maybe they should take a look in the mirror.

I have a couple points here, though. You say we should rationalize military budget. Why? If anything, the military is underfunded. Did you notice how Obama APOLOGIZED to Libya after they attacked OUR consulate? He's more interested in making friends with the enemy, to uphold some false image of being a peace maker, instead of protecting us. He is placing zero emphasis on the things our tax dollars SHOULD be used for.

The other thing I'd like to point out is that you are wrong when you say every one should pay more taxes.

I believe that NO ONE should pay more taxes. Instead, bring the rates down, at the very least for the rich as most of them own businesses, so that they can afford to hire more people. I pointed this out in your last blog. You don't gain by raising taxes and sucking people dry, you gain by having MORE tax payers, and a steady flow of revenue. All this rhetoric solves nothing, and fails to pinpoint the real source of the problem. It's not nearly as complicated as you'd like to make it sound. Yet sadly nothing is being done and, consequently, what could have been a simple solution is becoming more and more impossible to fix.
    Posted 12-07-2012 at 09:57 PM by burningmetal burningmetal is offline
  13. Old Comment
    Haps Biggest Fan's Avatar

The Truth About Roger Goodell's NFL Crusade Against Bounties & Vilma

I've been studying old films and photos of NFL games in the 1933 and 1934 timeframe. The FIRST official NFL Championship game was won by the Chicago Bears vs. the NY Giants. The game was played at Wrigley Field in November, 1933.

That was the leather helmet era. Players did NOT use their heads to make contact back then. When they made a tackle, they turned their head to the side, put their shoulder into the runner's midsection and turned their face away from the contact.

My point is this: if the NFL prohibits all future head contact because it thinks it needs to do this to save the game, then, pro football will survive.

THIS era of using the helmeted head to administer hammer-blows probably should end, for the good of the game.
    Posted 11-30-2012 at 12:49 PM by Haps Biggest Fan Haps Biggest Fan is offline
  14. Old Comment
    saintsfan403's Avatar

Sanity Zone 10-4-2012 Business aint Government, and Vice Versa

Good post. I was born in Canada, but my family is American (my dad currently resides in the US) and due to my family ties/working as a petrologist, I'm always paying close attention the US political cycle.
    That being said, I'm enamoured with the conservative term 'job creator', especially when they use it to describe billionaire investors.
    I don't know where that term came from, but the myth of jobs magically arising due to lower taxes is absurd. No investor is a job creator, consumers are the sole mechanism that drives job creation (sorry Mr. experienced businessman)
    As far as I know, investors want to minimize expenses to increase their profits. I don't think that means spending money hiring millions of people.
    Posted 11-30-2012 at 12:53 AM by saintsfan403 saintsfan403 is offline
  15. Old Comment
    SloMotion's Avatar

Jimmy Graham's Dunk? Momentum Shifter? (Odd Theory)

I agree with joker-saint, celebrations have gotten too gaudy ... I like the Jimmy Graham dunk and the celebration where they just spin the ball like a top, you know, keep-it-simple, but all the dancing/symbolic crap is too much, especially when they really didn't accomplish anything out of the ordinary.
    Posted 11-23-2012 at 08:21 AM by SloMotion SloMotion is offline
  16. Old Comment
    Nemesis's Avatar

"Where Ya At...Who Dat"

Nice. Ill download it for next time while Im mounting my wife
    Posted 11-04-2012 at 03:58 AM by Nemesis Nemesis is offline
  17. Old Comment
    UK_WhoDat's Avatar

Jimmy Graham's Dunk? Momentum Shifter? (Odd Theory)

Ok, ok. How many dunks has he done. What happened in the next drives (opponents and Saints)?
    Posted 10-22-2012 at 03:50 PM by UK_WhoDat UK_WhoDat is offline
  18. Old Comment
    Ashley's Avatar

Jimmy Graham's Dunk? Momentum Shifter? (Odd Theory)

ahhhh the superstitions theory.
    Posted 10-16-2012 at 02:02 PM by Ashley Ashley is offline
  19. Old Comment
    Posted 10-13-2012 at 06:11 PM by jcp026 jcp026 is offline
  20. Old Comment

Sanity Zone 10-4-2012 Business aint Government, and Vice Versa

The problem in America is too many people have no real idea what they're talking about and then tell everyone else they don't know what they are talking about. Here's a fact worth pondering: You say that it's sad we have a governor vs. a businessmen, but actually we have a governor/businessmen vs. a senator/lawyer. The current President has no experience in business or in governing... Take that for what you will. I'm not a rah rah politician, because politics mostly make me sick. But I have an obligation as a citizen to know the facts and make the best choice possible.

So with that in mind, I would like someone who knows how to manage this economy. Having not only experience, but a record of success in business is a good place to start, and we have, at the very least, that in one of these candidates. The other has zero. But I believe in giving people a chance to prove or make a fool of themselves before I make a final judgement. All I have to do is look back 4 years ago when Obama said he'd "cut the deficit in half" by the end of his first term. Instead it has risen. And what is his defense? He tells us that we're losing a little less each year... That isn't gaining, and it's far from cutting the debt in half as he pledged. We're still losing TRILLIONS every year. You can blame the previous administration all day long, and they are absolutely responsible for the debt that was inherited, but when you add to the problem you can no longer point the finger at someone else. Especially not after a full term.

I don't want or need the government to tell me how to live my life. I need the government to manage the economy in a way that allows us to live better and be able to pursue our dreams. So I have to disagree that being a businessmen doesn't give you an advantage in being able to run a government. No one is saying it's easy. But when you've been successful in business and have many years experience as a governor, I feel a lot better about that than someone who has been neither of the two. Good managers know how to manage money.

The president wants to raise taxes to cut the deficit. Well that sounds brilliant if you don't know the first thing about economics. And I'm no economist, but this is just common sense. If you raise taxes you cause businesses to have to lay off workers, which means people are out of work and not paying taxes. You see, it's not about how much you tax one person, but how many people are paying taxes. Lower the rate, and you have more jobs, more tax payers, subsequent increased revenue and less dependency on the federal government.

But that's just it. This administration wants us to depend on the government. It's how they can control us.

It's Marxism at it's best (or worst). You rob the rich to pay the poor- because Marxists believe it is somehow immoral to be wealthy- and everybody is supposed to be happy with that. But not only is that unfair to those who have worked hard to get to whatever wealthy income they have EARNED, it also means the poor and middle class no longer can find work because no one can afford to pay them, and everyone goes begging to big brother. We're not there yet, but we're close, and we have to stop it while we still can.

If you disagree with me, I don't hate you for it. I want what's best for this country, and I'm sure you do too. But I can say with absolute conviction that this administration isn't it.
    Posted 10-05-2012 at 10:32 PM by burningmetal burningmetal is offline

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.