Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

The Bush Number Issue

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by saintswhodi So, is the argument that if a player could where any number he wanted, announcers will get confused? Do they get confused at college games? Announcers get a playsheet with each number and a player's name ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2006, 07:14 PM   #21
100th Post
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cedar Falls, IA
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by saintswhodi

So, is the argument that if a player could where any number he wanted, announcers will get confused? Do they get confused at college games? Announcers get a playsheet with each number and a player's name before the game, and they reference it during the game. I don't see the problem.
I dont think I understand your point???
smyce is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 07:15 PM   #22
100th Post
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cedar Falls, IA
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by pakowitz
it doesnt look like he is arguing anything... i believe he was just making a statement...
Precisely.
smyce is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #23
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 2,540
I don't think he was making an argument just noting the history.

I forgot also, Paul Horning was drafted as a quarterback out of Notre Dame. He also was Green Bay's kicker a for a few years. That is how he held the single season scoring record for a long time.

Other way back oddities are former Saint QB Billy Kilmer playing primarily as a RB for the 49ers in a 1961 shotgun offense. One of my earliest football memories was the 1965 Colts. Unitas went out with injury, Backup Cuozzo went out with injury, no practice squads. 9-3-1 they had to win a final game to win the conference championship. Tom Matte a RB who had not played QB since college five years before was forced into starting. He led them to a thrilling 20-17 win. Next the Packers. It took 10 minutes into the second overtime before Don Chandler had a bad field goal called good by the referees to win. It was so clearly a bad call that the following year is when goal posts were required to be 20' high and painted yellow. It was really odd seeing a #41 at QB in big time games.

----hehe, two people post the same while I made sure I had my memory correct.
LKelley67 is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 07:35 PM   #24
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,941
Well, with all these ambigous generalities being thrown around, I don't see anyone making a point any more. For these history buffs, are you for the league allowing Bush to have his number, are you for doing away with restrictions on numbers, do you like restrictions on numbers, what? I like history as much as the next guy, but at some point you wanna make a point right? That's what the first half of this thread was about. Sorry I didn't catch the changing winds.
saintswhodi is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 07:46 PM   #25
100th Post
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cedar Falls, IA
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by smyce
I like the rule. I like how by looking at a guy's number you know just about what position he plays.

Granted, if the rule was changed I wouldnt be upset, but I do like the rule.
Perhaps if you would read the whole thread, as opposed to jumping on someone's case, your world, and mine would be a much better place.
smyce is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 07:52 PM   #26
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: baton rouge
Posts: 2,540
It would only be of benefit for him to get it. THE first single digit runner, more spotlight, more marketing.
LKelley67 is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 08:00 PM   #27
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,941
Also, Paul Hornung went into the Hall of Fame as a halfback, no matter how many hats he wore.
saintswhodi is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #28
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,941
Originally Posted by smyce
Originally Posted by smyce
I like the rule. I like how by looking at a guy's number you know just about what position he plays.

Granted, if the rule was changed I wouldnt be upset, but I do like the rule.
Perhaps if you would read the whole thread, as opposed to jumping on someone's case, your world, and mine would be a much better place.
I did read the whole thread, I just didn't keep track of who posted what once the rambling started.
saintswhodi is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #29
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,941
Originally Posted by LKelley67
It would only be of benefit for him to get it. THE first single digit runner, more spotlight, more marketing.
Next line:

It will be cool to see some Saint jerseys when you are traveling around the country now no matter what number.
Sssssoooo, exactly what side of the fence do you fall?
saintswhodi is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 08:17 PM   #30
100th Post
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cedar Falls, IA
Posts: 184
Are you just trying to pick a fight? The man is saying that if Reggie is allowed allotment to use 5, that it would be a good thing for marketing and notoriety of the first RB to wear a single digit in recent years.

He is also saying that its going to be a good thing to see a Saints jersey around the country, regardless of the number. Therefore he is saying that he thinks its a good thing if Bush changes the number for the attention the franchise would get by it, however if it doesnt happen its going to be great seeing Saints jerseys all across the country.

Sometimes, if you just take a breath and read the things people post instead of quickly assuming you know more than everyone else and calling them out lots of unintelligent commentary is kept to one's self.
smyce is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts