Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

UFA Pierre Thomas

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by saintpaul25 Reggie is under contract, and from what alot of people have said is that they would rather trade fans, than lose Reggie. Ok, whatever. Now, if Reggie does get his money next year, then what do ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #21
Team Doctor
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Deep South
Posts: 856
Re: UFA Pierre Thomas

Originally Posted by saintpaul25 View Post
Reggie is under contract, and from what alot of people have said is that they would rather trade fans, than lose Reggie. Ok, whatever. Now, if Reggie does get his money next year, then what do we do with Thomas? I for one, think that Pierre showed up during the NFCCG, and the Superbowl, more than Reggie did. 8 million to Bush, means, how much to Thomas? Is Thomas worth more than Bush?
That's just not the way this thing works. Reggie has a contract that is inflated because he was our first draft pick and like all first draft picks, he's somewhat overpaid. For example, the rams picked some offensive tackle in the first round (2nd overall) and had to promise him 12 million a year to sign him. Do they now go back and overpay everyone on the team? The answer of course, is no. We need to pay Pierre Thomas what he's worth but what we pay Reggie has nothing to do with it.
poydras is offline  
Latest Blogs
The ArtiChoke Last Blog: 09-18-2014 By: Barry from MS


How to really handle Ray Rice and AP Last Blog: 09-17-2014 By: neugey


The Lost Art of the Trade Last Blog: 08-30-2014 By: jeanpierre


Old 02-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #22
Senior Citizen
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 3,180
Blog Entries: 1
Re: UFA Pierre Thomas

Originally Posted by poydras View Post
That's just not the way this thing works. Reggie has a contract that is inflated because he was our first draft pick and like all first draft picks, he's somewhat overpaid. For example, the rams picked some offensive tackle in the first round (2nd overall) and had to promise him 12 million a year to sign him. Do they now go back and overpay everyone on the team? The answer of course, is no. We need to pay Pierre Thomas what he's worth but what we pay Reggie has nothing to do with it.
I understand your point here, but in this situation it's different, because number one, they both play the same position. Number two, Thomas looked good in the superbowl, so other teams are going to be checking him out, as well as Bush. It could be a factor.

Also it's not just what the Saints offer him, as a RFA, we would have to match other offers, from other teams. This could get really sticky, really fast.
SaintPauly is offline  
Old 02-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #23
Team Doctor
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Deep South
Posts: 856
Re: UFA Pierre Thomas

Originally Posted by saintpaul25 View Post
I understand your point here, but in this situation it's different, because number one, they both play the same position. Number two, Thomas looked good in the superbowl, so other teams are going to be checking him out, as well as Bush. It could be a factor.

Also it's not just what the Saints offer him, as a RFA, we would have to match other offers, from other teams. This could get really sticky, really fast.
The person in my example is Jason Smith, currently listed as 3rd team. Do they now go back and pay the four players in front of him 12 million also?

The point is, pay Pierre what he's worth but what Reggie is being paid is irrelevant.
poydras is offline  
Old 02-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #24
Senior Citizen
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 3,180
Blog Entries: 1
Re: UFA Pierre Thomas

Originally Posted by poydras View Post
The person in my example is Jason Smith, currently listed as 3rd team. Do they now go back and pay the four players in front of him 12 million also?

The point is, pay Pierre what he's worth but what Reggie is being paid is irrelevant.
Ok, my point is production. And rookie contracts withstanding, who produces more, consistantly for the Saints, Reggie, or PT? In my opinion, Reggie restructures, and stays with the team. Now, don't you think that PT is going to look at his financial numbers, to determine how much he signs for with the Saints? I'm not talking about the business side of things, I'm talking about the personal self worth side of things.

It's the same difference as the Tom Brady, Payton Manning contracts. Are Reggie, and PT, in the same status as these two? No, that's not what I'm saying, but I believe that the numbers of the guy who gets his contract first is going to effect, what the other thinks he deserves. Same situation, except they are on different teams.

If Reggie gets 4 million, then PT is going to want the same, or damn close. As well he should. The question I guess that I'm proposing is, do we risk losing PT, to satisfy Reggie? Because if PT can get more money elsewhere, than we are willing to pay, then he's going to leave.

What's popular is not always right, and what's right is not always popular.....
SaintPauly is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts