Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Will Alabama's Cody be a mountain of a bust?

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by neugey You know, maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't see the all-out need for a DT on our team. Here's hoping that Ellis stays healthy this year and has his best year yet. Let's ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 01:46 AM   #21
Resident Swede
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Märsta, Sweden
Posts: 5,064
Re: Will Alabama's Cody be a mountain of a bust?

Originally Posted by neugey View Post
You know, maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't see the all-out need for a DT on our team. Here's hoping that Ellis stays healthy this year and has his best year yet.

Let's go out on a limb and say that happens ... is it necessary to have another god at DT beside him? Last time I checked, Ellis wasn't that bad against the run, right?

When Warren Sapp, John Randle or even LaRoi Glover were in their hey-days, their teams didn't need to have another great DT beside them. Just needed to have a solid guy in there who could be relied upon to play the position properly and fill the right gap. I think we might be in an okay spot - Ayodele and Pressley still have some upside and maybe one of them will fill this role properly for us. Or maybe Clancy can come back and has something in the tank left.

And besides, when did getting 2 great DT's guarantee major success? Remember Jacksonville of a few years ago - great run-stuffing team ... but did it really matter? Did it really get them anywhere? Good teams find a way to move the ball against the Vikes and the Williams Wall - us included. Is it that that important to load up at DT?
Great post with a lot of interesting thoughts. I know Cody would be a big clogger but thats not really what we need imho. Just as you state we need a decent guy next to Ellis. But I would actually like us to focus on DE and LB before DT. This draft i soo deep on DTs I think its possible to find great value at the position even in round 3 and 4.
Crusader is offline  
Latest Blogs
MID TERM ELECTION Last Blog: 10-29-2014 By: teddybarexxx


2015 Saints Bye Week Draft Last Blog: 10-16-2014 By: hagan714


"IRONY" Last Blog: 10-01-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Old 04-20-2010, 01:51 AM   #22
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Will Alabama's Cody be a mountain of a bust?

Originally Posted by neugey View Post
You know, maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't see the all-out need for a DT on our team. Here's hoping that Ellis stays healthy this year and has his best year yet.

Let's go out on a limb and say that happens ... is it necessary to have another god at DT beside him? Last time I checked, Ellis wasn't that bad against the run, right?

When Warren Sapp, John Randle or even LaRoi Glover were in their hey-days, their teams didn't need to have another great DT beside them. Just needed to have a solid guy in there who could be relied upon to play the position properly and fill the right gap. I think we might be in an okay spot - Ayodele and Pressley still have some upside and maybe one of them will fill this role properly for us. Or maybe Clancy can come back and has something in the tank left.

And besides, when did getting 2 great DT's guarantee major success? Remember Jacksonville of a few years ago - great run-stuffing team ... but did it really matter? Did it really get them anywhere? Good teams find a way to move the ball against the Vikes and the Williams Wall - us included. Is it that that important to load up at DT?
pass rush isnt our biggest concern......im assuming you think that DT and LB are bigger needs because of pass rush?

our team totaled 35 sacks last season.....but not only did we accumulate sacks, we also managed to create pressure which led to turnovers

believe it or not we had the 8th most sacks in the league as a team and led the league in turnovers as well as defensive TDs

pass rush wasnt an issue and pass defense wasnt our biggest concern.....stopping the run is our biggest weakness

oh and ellis is not warren sapp......he is good but he is not great and he does need some help alongside him.....he gets double and triple teamed quite a bit and we need a presence next to him that can take some of that heat off of him

"deal with it or you can go play the saints and get trounced by 30 and you won't have to worry about it."-colin cowherd
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 02:36 AM   #23
Resident Swede
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Märsta, Sweden
Posts: 5,064
Re: Will Alabama's Cody be a mountain of a bust?

You're right the passrush was decent at times but i'd like us to build for the future especially on the DE position. We don't really have any young guy there that we can develop.
Crusader is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 07:13 AM   #24
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 17,655
Blog Entries: 27
Re: Will Alabama's Cody be a mountain of a bust?

Ok ... so why can we not get him in the second round? Let's get Weaterspoon or Kindle in the first.
SmashMouth is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #25
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,889
Re: Will Alabama's Cody be a mountain of a bust?

Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
lol lookin at stats for DTs again? i guarantee mcclain gets drafted in the first....but it definitly isnt because he made plays.....mcclain had a solid year because of cody

instead of looking at codys stats....look at the LBs stats

he impacts every play regardless of whether he makes the tackle or not

serious concerns about conditioning? he gets mauled by 2 men every play that average about 300 lbs......you expect him not to get winded when he is beating up 2 guys that are over 300 lbs every single play?



the defensive system last year was......letting everybody run all over us

our pass defense suffered because of injury....our run defense suffered because of personel.....we play in possibly the only conference left in football where most of the teams are run first teams

cody provides a huge need not only as a run stopper, but also taking on blockers to free up blitzers

why doesnt he fit the system? we blitz a lot....cody keeps blockers off of our blitzers......we struggle against the run....cody stops the run up the middle

im worried that you guys have no idea what our defense needs
I figured it out! Canton is sleeping with Terrence Cody, and he likes when Mount is on top.
TheDeuce is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 07:48 AM   #26
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,550
Re: Will Alabama's Cody be a mountain of a bust?

He's not worth the first round risk. And when it's all said and done, he will be nothing more than a guy in someones DL rotation. Solid but never close to being a star.
Cruize is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #27
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,144
Re: Will Alabama's Cody be a mountain of a bust?

Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
you do this thing where you compare college players to former NFL players and leave it at that

fact is that no college player is a former nfl player.....thats why there is a draft sir

cody is different and plays differently.....sullivan was not as good a college player as cody
Sullivan was a vastly better college player than Cody. There's a reason he was scouted as a top 20 pick and Cody is scouted as a 2nd rounder: College production. You continue to amaze me. Sometimes I think your fingers have a mind of their own when typing.
stockman311 is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #28
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Will Alabama's Cody be a mountain of a bust?

Originally Posted by stockman311 View Post
Sullivan was a vastly better college player than Cody. There's a reason he was scouted as a top 20 pick and Cody is scouted as a 2nd rounder: College production. You continue to amaze me. Sometimes I think your fingers have a mind of their own when typing.
cody was also scouted as the best NT in the country

however....his weight at the senior bowl has supposedly dropped him out of the first round even tho many consider him to still be a first rounder

also remember that this draft is much deeper than the 2003 draft
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #29
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,144
Re: Will Alabama's Cody be a mountain of a bust?

Let's just put it this way, my wife is an AVID Charger fan. They play a 3-4 defense and lost Jamal Williams, so they DESPERATELY need a NT. She wants no part of him. That's all I had to hear.
stockman311 is offline  
Old 04-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #30
Mmm That Smell!
 
Join Date: Oct 1998
Location: Bucktown Brah!
Posts: 2,383
Re: Will Alabama's Cody be a mountain of a bust?

Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
cody was also scouted as the best NT in the country

however....his weight at the senior bowl has supposedly dropped him out of the first round even tho many consider him to still be a first rounder

also remember that this draft is much deeper than the 2003 draft
Last spring, Cody scaled 373 pounds. He still was too big (370) at the Senior Bowl in late January. But he was down to 354 at the combine a month later, then to 349 on March 10 at pro day.

He didn't show up at the Senior Bowl fatter. He played that way all year!
Everyone knew he was fat and knows he will stay fat.
Twenty-two reps in the bench press isn't impressive either.
RockyMountainSaint is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts