Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

I just got a tweet from Heath

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Soo all the owners have to do to fire a player is to "pay off his contract"??? Oh really??? How much do you think Reggie is going to collect on his $11.8 million "Contract"... The owners can terminate a player ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
100th Post
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 101
Soo all the owners have to do to fire a player is to "pay off his contract"??? Oh really??? How much do you think Reggie is going to collect on his $11.8 million "Contract"... The owners can terminate a player anytime they want to without honering the contract they signed....

I am normally pro-business but in this situation I come down on the side of the players... The owners do not carry the same risk most business owners carry while the players carry extraordinary risks...

How do I say that? The owners are in a business where their source of revenue is virtually all guaranteed. The network share is guaranteed. Sure some have unsold seats but as a percent of their overall revenue that is very small. Then the largest cost, players salaries is FIXED at 60% of their revenues... Man I would take that deal, guaranteed revenues and my largest cost fixed at a percent of revenues every day and twice on Sunday...

If the owners are losing money I would suggest it is due to their own extravagence... Jerrah has a huge nut because he decided he needed 1 billion and a half palace to his ego? Whose fault is that? When Benson was pleading poverty to the state a few years ago, it was found he was expensing his own personal yacht against the Saints books....

So the players should agree to a cut because of jerrah's palace and Tommy's yacht? I would think not.... Now if thats not what is happening.. If their cost of business, real business, is eating into their 40% of the huge pie, then I think they have to show a bit more than audited financial statements. I read those for a living and I can tell you, audited financial statements tell you nothing about what the costs of the business really is
nevergiveup3 is offline  
Latest Blogs
2015 Saints Bye Week Draft Last Blog: 10-16-2014 By: hagan714


"IRONY" Last Blog: 10-01-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Sainity Zone 9-30-14 Hail Last Blog: 09-30-2014 By: xan


Old 03-14-2011, 03:20 AM   #12
Resident Swede
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Märsta, Sweden
Posts: 5,050
Originally Posted by Saintswrath View Post
These Players are way over their head and will end up suffering on the other end, if the Owner's wanted to right now all they had to do is fire every single player currently on every single roster and hire a bunch of hungry young college bodies and start all over again with new agreements and their new rules and expanded schedule all inserted..
I love the players we have and all but this is what I'd like to see happen. Sure the quality of the game would drop of some but I'd get back to where it is quite fast.
Crusader is offline  
Old 03-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #13
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,889
I loathe unions and believe in capitalism, so it's hard for me to not defend the owners in this. They assume risk and they invest their own money, so I understand why they are taking the hardline, I'd do the same. They're not dummies, they know fans like players, but their true allegiance is to the franchises.

I also think owners make an easy target in something like this because they can be painted as somewhat nameless/faceless "greedy old white men" (quick, in five seconds or less name the owner of the Buffalo Bills or the Seattle Seahawks). It's easy to paint them as bad people, when in reality they're just doing business.

I too find it hard to feel bad for the players who are making millions.
TheDeuce is offline  
Old 03-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #14
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 16,447
Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
I loathe unions and believe in capitalism, so it's hard for me to not defend the owners in this. They assume risk and they invest their own money, so I understand why they are taking the hardline, I'd do the same. They're not dummies, they know fans like players, but their true allegiance is to the franchises.

I also think owners make an easy target in something like this because they can be painted as somewhat nameless/faceless "greedy old white men" (quick, in five seconds or less name the owner of the Buffalo Bills or the Seattle Seahawks). It's easy to paint them as bad people, when in reality they're just doing business.

I too find it hard to feel bad for the players who are making millions.
Well said.

And I'll add, as a Conservative who believes in Capitalism, that I have no problem with either side wanting to make as much money as they can.

What irritates me the most is the demonization of the owners as "greedy".

You and I would do everything we can to improve the lives of our families. Thats not greed simply because the decimal point is a few more spots to the right.

Class warfare, I despise it.
Danno is offline  
Old 03-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 11,488
This country was built on capitalism which means providing a product or service for a profit. The problem is at what point does making a profit become unreasonable and become taking advantage and price gouging? Reasonable capitalism is fine but just how much do these $9 hot dogs cost to make?
It all runs down hill and hits the fans square in the face and pocket.

Last edited by Rugby Saint II; 03-14-2011 at 02:39 PM..
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Old 03-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #16
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orlando,FL
Posts: 1,369
I bet without folks coming out and saying conservative or liberal we could almost have placed accurate labels on each person who is a regular poster.

That being said it is a shame it has to be employer vs. employee. Does anyone know how much the union collects(liberal)or robs(conservative) from each player? I would assume 10's of thousands. I would think that each players agent could negotiate things such as pensions and insurance. As far the owners opening their books...bah, no one's business. It is a high price we pay to be entertained in this country. The entertainers are well paid and compensated. They are also aware of the inherent risk they are taking each time they step on the field. In my job, I have value to my employer that is why he keeps me around and I am compensated accordingly. I have no beef with any one making money. But one thing needs to be kept in perspective, we, the folks paying to be entertained are paying a price in high merchandise costs and ticket prices. And we will also pay the price if no season occurs, don't you hate being punished when you have done nothing wrong? This whole thing chaps my a$$
subguy is offline  
Old 03-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #17
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 11,193
Blog Entries: 5
Originally Posted by subguy View Post
I bet without folks coming out and saying conservative or liberal we could almost have placed accurate labels on each person who is a regular poster.

That being said it is a shame it has to be employer vs. employee. Does anyone know how much the union collects(liberal)or robs(conservative) from each player? I would assume 10's of thousands. I would think that each players agent could negotiate things such as pensions and insurance. As far the owners opening their books...bah, no one's business. It is a high price we pay to be entertained in this country. The entertainers are well paid and compensated. They are also aware of the inherent risk they are taking each time they step on the field. In my job, I have value to my employer that is why he keeps me around and I am compensated accordingly. I have no beef with any one making money. But one thing needs to be kept in perspective, we, the folks paying to be entertained are paying a price in high merchandise costs and ticket prices. And we will also pay the price if no season occurs, don't you hate being punished when you have done nothing wrong? This whole thing chaps my a$$
In my Radio days I would have loved a union. I signed on for a given salary. Over the years my knowledge increased. Over the years my responsibilities increased. Over the years I was asked to do remotes, taking up my entire Saturdays. I worked holidays. I inherited the Music director job. I became the default 'computer guy' and had to carry a pager - so now I'm on call 24/7. I installed Satellite dishes on the roof of the station for the latest weather gadgets. I enrolled in classes to learn more about audio engineering. I took a part time job at an ISP to learn more about the internet and became the liason between the station and the ISP as it related to our (new) online streaming and web pages. The prices for remotes and for advertising went up year after year. My salary never did. I was just supposed to be an announcer.

Unions, in their original concept, were devised to protect people like me in that situation. The problem is they've become bastardized. The people that run them are doing it to make money. During the NAB in Vegas, where we set up our software every year so that people can come by and see how awesome we are, we are not allowed to unload the trucks, for example, and other various tasks assigned to Union workers. The problem is that we are always in a hurry, and it takes 5 union workers all day to do something 2 of us could do in a couple hours. That's my beef with Union labor.

The players are right to want to hold on to all they gained with the last CBA. They are right to refuse taking a pay cut while being asked to play a single extra down. I know there is a method to their madness, but I am disgusted with the fact that they think the owners should have to open their books. I am disgusted with the fact that they have suggested that rookies about to be drafted not show up. I am disgusted with the fact that they are attempting to leverage us, the fans, to their benefit. I disagree, nearly completely, with their tactics.

But what do you do? The easy out is to say to them, "look, you guys make enough money. Be happy." That's what I WANT to say, but there is a part of me that completely digs where they are coming from, even if I have no respect for their play book, so to speak.

I'm torn. Somebody cue up some Natalie Imbruglia whilst I cry some more in my beer.



I am the Genie of Sound. Everybody get down!

Last edited by saintfan; 03-15-2011 at 04:09 PM..
saintfan is online now  
Old 03-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #18
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orlando,FL
Posts: 1,369
Originally Posted by saintfan View Post
In my Radio days I would have loved a union. I signed on for a given salary. Over the years my knowledge increased. Over the years my responsibilities increased. Over the years I was asked to do remotes, taking up my entire Saturdays. I worked holidays. I inherited the Music director job. I became the default 'computer guy' and had to carry a pager - so now I'm on call 24/7. I installed Satellite dishes on the roof of the station for the latest weather gadgets. I enrolled in classes to learn more about audio engineering. I took a part time job at an ISP to learn more about the internet and became the liason between the station and the ISP as it related to our (new) online streaming and web pages. The prices for remotes and for advertising went up year after year. My salary never did. I was just supposed to be an announcer.

Unions, in their original concept, were devised to protect people like me in that situation. The problem is they've become bastardized. The people that run them are doing it to make money. During the NAB in Vegas, where we set up our software every year so that people can come by and see how awesome we are, we are not allowed to unload the trucks, for example, and other various tasks assigned to Union workers. The problem is that we are always in a hurry, and it takes 5 union workers all day to do something 2 of us could do in a couple hours. That's my beef with Union labor.

The players are right to want to hold on to all they gained with the last CBA. They are right to refuse taking a pay cut while being asked to play a single extra down. I know there is a method to their madness, but I am disgusted with the fact that they think the owners should have to open their books. I am disgusted with the fact that they have suggested that rookies about to be drafted not show up. I am disgusted with the fact that they are attempting to leverage us, the fans, to their benefit. I disagree, nearly completely, with their tactics.

But what do you do? The easy out is to say to them, "look, you guys make enough money. Be happy." That's what I WANT to say, but there is a part of me that completely digs where they are coming from, even if I have no respect for their play book, so to speak.

I'm torn. Somebody cue up some Natalie Imbruglia whilst I cry some more in my beer.


The only thing I regret about this is that you beat me to the avatar...because he dont give a s_ _ _
subguy is offline  
Old 03-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #19
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 11,193
Blog Entries: 5
Originally Posted by subguy View Post
The only thing I regret about this is that you beat me to the avatar...because he dont give a s_ _ _
That's right. Strike, Lockout, Natural Disaster, Honey Badger just does what he wants. Honey Badger don't give a ****!
saintfan is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts