Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Greg Williams and ineffective blitz packages

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; The New Orleans Saints, Gregg Williams, and ineffective blitz packages...

Like Tree6Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
SaintsWillWin
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shreveport,Louisiana
Posts: 10,072
Exclamation Greg Williams and ineffective blitz packages

The New Orleans Saints, Gregg Williams, and ineffective blitz packages
WhoDat!656 is online now  
Latest Blogs
2015 Saints Bye Week Draft Last Blog: 10-16-2014 By: hagan714


"IRONY" Last Blog: 10-01-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Sainity Zone 9-30-14 Hail Last Blog: 09-30-2014 By: xan


Old 12-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 16,447
The front 4 can't get pressure so he has to manufacture pressure using blitz packages.

I'd hate to see what happenes when he relies solely on the front 4. It could get REAL ugly.
Danno is offline  
Old 12-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
The front 4 can't get pressure so he has to manufacture pressure using blitz packages.
That's just not true. GW blitzes because we can..not because we have to

We have a defensive end who is one of the elite pass rushers in the league. We have a DT in Ellis who is only a year removed from a 6 sack season and we have one of the most dominating pass rushing nose tackles in recent history in Shaun Rogers.

We blitz because our secondary is good enough to man up and our defensive line is good enough to hold the blockers so our blitzers can get through

We are actually near the top of the league in QB pressures despite not having the sack numbers that all the angry fans are looking for

"deal with it or you can go play the saints and get trounced by 30 and you won't have to worry about it."-colin cowherd
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 12-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 16,447
Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
That's just not true. GW blitzes because we can..not because we have to

We have a defensive end who is one of the elite pass rushers in the league. We have a DT in Ellis who is only a year removed from a 6 sack season and we have one of the most dominating pass rushing nose tackles in recent history in Shaun Rogers.

We blitz because our secondary is good enough to man up and our defensive line is good enough to hold the blockers so our blitzers can get through

We are actually near the top of the league in QB pressures despite not having the sack numbers that all the angry fans are looking for
Wrong, again.
Danno is offline  
Old 12-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Wrong, again.
I know you're mad cuz I rained on your parade but how about explaining why? Will smith is only 2 seasons removed from a 14 sack season...please tell me he can't rush anymore cuz he's old and outta shape. Never heard that one before...in fact ppl said that in 08...the year before he went off

We all know sed can rush the passer and hold blockers. We also all know the role of 3-4 defensive linemen is to take on blockers and if you've been paying attention this season you can tell me what defense we've been playin a whole lot this season...I'll give you a hint...it starts with 3 down linemen

"deal with it or you can go play the saints and get trounced by 30 and you won't have to worry about it."-colin cowherd
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 12-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 16,447
Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
I know you're mad cuz I rained on your parade but how about explaining why? Will smith is only 2 seasons removed from a 14 sack season...please tell me he can't rush anymore cuz he's old and outta shape. Never heard that one before...in fact ppl said that in 08...the year before he went off

We all know sed can rush the passer and hold blockers. We also all know the role of 3-4 defensive linemen is to take on blockers and if you've been paying attention this season you can tell me what defense we've been playin a whole lot this season...I'll give you a hint...it starts with 3 down linemen
2009 doesn't equal 2011
2010 doesn't equal 2011

I ain't mad, just fatigued from everyone proving you wrong all the time.
Danno is offline  
Old 12-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
2009 doesn't equal 2011
2010 doesn't equal 2011

I ain't mad, just fatigued from everyone proving you wrong all the time.
Ur right...2011 is a completely different season and the offense And defense looks better than last year

Im not sure who proved me wrong about anything but I know you haven't and I'm positive you won't do it this time

Teams are afraid of our blitzing...that's why we see so many max protects

All ur saying is that our defense stinks and complaining about it...well prove it
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 12-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Retired
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,553
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
The front 4 can't get pressure so he has to manufacture pressure using blitz packages.
+1

Must go after Avril next off season. *drools*
papz is offline  
Old 12-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 16,447
Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
Ur right...2011 is a completely different season and the offense And defense looks better than last year

Im not sure who proved me wrong about anything but I know you haven't and I'm positive you won't do it this time

Teams are afraid of our blitzing...that's why we see so many max protects

All ur saying is that our defense stinks and complaining about it...well prove it
And this ladies and gentlemen is what is classically known as deflection.

Troll elsewhere junior.
Danno is offline  
Old 12-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 11,488
We blitz because we have less talent than necessary. This defense is built to have cover corners and be able to cover effectively for a short period of time.
The first thing Sean Payton did when he came here was address the corners. He understands how valuable the last line of defense is. Williams is taking advantage of that. We don't blitz less because we are not a team loaded with big play makers and if you can't get pressure you lose the chess match.
foreverfan likes this.
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/39075-greg-williams-ineffective-blitz-packages.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Greg Williams and ineffective blitz packages This thread Refback 12-16-2011 12:53 PM 3


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts