Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Why Can't We Tackle??

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by QBREES9 Will this game be on the NFL Replay Ok I found it Monday at 10:30 It already replayed earlier today. As a Saints fan, watching this one again was about as fun as watching 2 roaches ...

Like Tree38Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #31
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 11,119
Blog Entries: 43
Re: Why Can't We Tackle??

Originally Posted by QBREES9 View Post
Will this game be on the NFL Replay Ok I found it Monday at 10:30
It already replayed earlier today. As a Saints fan, watching this one again was about as fun as watching 2 roaches racing around a NASCAR track.
spkb25 and CharityMike like this.
Halo is offline  
Old 08-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #32
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: "Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice"
Posts: 4,298
Blog Entries: 15
Re: Why Can't We Tackle??

Originally Posted by Rugby Saint II View Post
Why can't we tackle? We can't practice tackling. I think that's pretty much it.
I would go as far as to say that it's 'league-wide' also. In the preseason games I've watched, the tackling has been, to put it mildly, poor. Watching some of the training camps, I see helmets w/no-pads and drills w/no contact ... come game day, I see missed tackles, blown assignments and players gassing like they've never been in pads before. Coincidence? I think not.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's preseason, but it gets worse every year, eh? How they practice is how they play and while some of these guys are talented enough to not practice & still perform on gameday, many of them are not.
spkb25 and Ashley like this.

... this space intentionally left blank ...
SloMotion is offline  
Old 08-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #33
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Colorado Springs Co
Posts: 2,513
Re: Why Can't We Tackle??

Originally Posted by Halo View Post
Robinson really had a poor game. Totally agree here.
I think I have heard that once or twice before..... Hmmmmm
Halo likes this.
Ashley is offline  
Old 08-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #34
100th Post
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philipsburg, PA
Posts: 161
Re: Why Can't We Tackle??

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
I wasn't arguing anything you said- matter of fact I hadn't read anything other than you saying the 85 Bears lost games. I was correcting that. They lost one.

And no I do not expect us to be the 85 Bears, where did you get that from anything I posted? Missed tackles is garbage for professionals making millions of dollars. There is no argument for missed tackles. PR being first game back I can understand, but not the rest.

I am fairly certain the Jags were missing both starting tackles last night and one of the best running backs in the game- Considering those facts I find our run D to be a bit of a worry. That's all.

I agree with you though- the expectation has to be tempered a bit
"There is no argument for missed tackles".

Perhaps. But when you've been playing on the road every game so far and you're not being worked out the same way as you normally would be in the regular season, the coaches probably aren't gonna want their players working so hard. Just look at what happened to chris chamberlain. Imagine if that had been Curtis Lofton. We don't need to work so hard that we risk losing people out for the season..... Even if it means missing tackles.

When you think about the fact that the saints(and pretty much every other nfl team) could care less about winning in the preseason, it didn't surprise me at all that the defense didn't give it its all.

The defense was disappointing that game, but it was nothing compared to how GOOD the defense looked against the pats and cardinals. The defense is not what will carry us. The offense. And in the jags game, we didn't have the complete set had of our offensive starters for most during the game.
The Dude likes this.
GoofySaint is offline  
Old 08-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #35
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,698
Re: Why Can't We Tackle??

Originally Posted by Halo View Post
Robinson really had a poor game. Totally agree here.
He did, and it looked like they were targeting him. Wonder if that was a coaches agreement before the game. Like hey we need to get this guy a lot of work???
spkb25 is offline  
Old 08-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #36
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,698
Re: Why Can't We Tackle??

Originally Posted by GoofySaint View Post
"There is no argument for missed tackles".

Perhaps. But when you've been playing on the road every game so far and you're not being worked out the same way as you normally would be in the regular season, the coaches probably aren't gonna want their players working so hard. Just look at what happened to chris chamberlain. Imagine if that had been Curtis Lofton. We don't need to work so hard that we risk losing people out for the season..... Even if it means missing tackles.

When you think about the fact that the saints(and pretty much every other nfl team) could care less about winning in the preseason, it didn't surprise me at all that the defense didn't give it its all.

The defense was disappointing that game, but it was nothing compared to how GOOD the defense looked against the pats and cardinals. The defense is not what will carry us. The offense. And in the jags game, we didn't have the complete set had of our offensive starters for most during the game.
Definitely true, lets hope we look really good this week!
spkb25 is offline  
Old 08-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #37
GERMAN WHO DAT!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kaiserslautern, Germany
Posts: 301
In soccer, we have a saying: the offense wins games, the defense wins championships!


Somewhere over the rainbow!
Wilde18 is offline  
Old 08-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #38
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,879
Re: Why Can't We Tackle??

Originally Posted by Wilde18 View Post
In soccer, we have a saying: the offense wins games, the defense wins championships!


Somewhere over the rainbow!
That is starting to become less and less true in the NFL every year. Football teams are going to pass first offenses because thats what brings ratings and that is what Goodell wants.
The Dude is offline  
Old 08-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #39
GERMAN WHO DAT!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kaiserslautern, Germany
Posts: 301
Do Godhell rules the world? :P


Somewhere over the rainbow!
Wilde18 is offline  
Old 08-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #40
100th Post
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philipsburg, PA
Posts: 161
Re: Why Can't We Tackle??

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
Definitely true, lets hope we look really good this week!
Next week is our last week of the preseason spent at home and it's against the texans who are both strong on defense AND on offense(good test for both sides of the ball especially since the texans just beat the 49ers).


It will also be in front of all the saints fans in the dome. In which case expect EVERYBODY to be there. Expect the defense to try to repeat the pats game. Expect the running game to attempt to repeat the hall of fame game. And expect Drew Brees and his weapons to.......... well, do what they do best.

It's gonna be a damn good football game. Preseason or not.
spkb25 likes this.
GoofySaint is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/48420-why-cant-we-tackle.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Why Can't We Tackle?? This thread Refback 08-18-2012 10:36 AM 3


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts