Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Mortgage the farm?

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Its no secret that we have an exceptionally successful offense and a...well, we technically have a defense, but aside from that there's not much to talk about. If our "window" is still open, and the needs are almost purely on ...

Like Tree6Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
500th Post
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hub City
Posts: 576
Mortgage the farm?

Its no secret that we have an exceptionally successful offense and a...well, we technically have a defense, but aside from that there's not much to talk about. If our "window" is still open, and the needs are almost purely on the defensive side of the ball, then is now the time to pull the trigger on getting an "instant impact" player for our defense? What are your thoughts on trading some picks/players in order to get another 1st/ another 2nd rounder on defense (and hopefully der kommisar gives us back our 2nd if we continue to not experience success this year) to give Spags some more help? It looks like he may have struck gold with Hicks, and Corey White isn't a stellar corner yet, but he looks better every game. Thoughts?

(And for this thread's sake, pretend that we DON'T desperately need a serviceable OT, because that is another obvious area that we must improve as well)
Shoe. is offline  
Latest Blogs
2015 Saints Bye Week Draft Last Blog: 10-16-2014 By: hagan714


"IRONY" Last Blog: 10-01-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Sainity Zone 9-30-14 Hail Last Blog: 09-30-2014 By: xan


Old 09-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Black Pearl University
Posts: 799
Re: Mortgage the farm?

I wouldn't, betting the house on one or even a few players to hit "your window" is the type of thing the mediocre teams do to win one championship every 10 years and keep their fans placated. How many times have you seen the Pats or the Giants make a big one-year move? How many times has that even worked? Honestly, I think we did that when we hired GW, and I'm happy we did, but I want to see us turn into a team that builds slowly and methodically, with consistent success, than a team that floats around 7-10 wins and tries to "make a run" every few years.
jlouhill likes this.
alexonfyre is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
SaintsWillWin
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shreveport,Louisiana
Posts: 10,070
Re: Mortgage the farm?

The problem is, other than our marquee players, no one is going to trade players and/or picks for an immediate impact player.

Also, what player/s are out there that a team would be willing to trade that is WORTH it for both teams?

I personally think the Saints should look at Shawn Merriman, IF he can be signed cheaply!
WhoDat!656 is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Black Pearl University
Posts: 799
Re: Mortgage the farm?

Originally Posted by WhoDat!656 View Post
The problem is, other than our marquee players, no one is going to trade players and/or picks for an immediate impact player.

Also, what player/s are out there that a team would be willing to trade that is WORTH it for both teams?

I personally think the Saints should look at Shawn Merriman, IF he can be signed cheaply!
So long as his walker and FiberOne cereal don't count against the salary cap, he should be pretty cheap.
alexonfyre is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
500th Post
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hub City
Posts: 576
Re: Mortgage the farm?

Originally Posted by alexonfyre View Post
I wouldn't, betting the house on one or even a few players to hit "your window" is the type of thing the mediocre teams do to win one championship every 10 years and keep their fans placated. How many times have you seen the Pats or the Giants make a big one-year move? How many times has that even worked? Honestly, I think we did that when we hired GW, and I'm happy we did, but I want to see us turn into a team that builds slowly and methodically, with consistent success, than a team that floats around 7-10 wins and tries to "make a run" every few years.
I agree with the slow and methodical approach to building a team, and from an offensive standpoint that strategy has definitely netted us some nice returns.

But for some reason there is a disconnect between our offensive scouting/talent evaluations and our defensive scouts/evals. I'm not sure why, but it is unquestionably there. If you were to give Spags a couple of top-tier guys to work with that were his choices, well, I'm just curious to see I guess

Originally Posted by WhoDat!656 View Post
The problem is, other than our marquee players, no one is going to trade players and/or picks for an immediate impact player.

Also, what player/s are out there that a team would be willing to trade that is WORTH it for both teams?
How about Ivory for a 7th rounder, package that and our other 6th and 7th (and maybe 5th) for another 3rd/4th rd pick? I'm no expert on the value tables that the teams use for picks/trades

And I'm just gonna pretend I didn't hear that comment about Merriman. He's nothing without his trusty PEDs, and he's just plain out of his prime. Price tag would have to be him paying US to play lol
Shoe. is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Black Pearl University
Posts: 799
Re: Mortgage the farm?

Originally Posted by Shoe. View Post
I agree with the slow and methodical approach to building a team, and from an offensive standpoint that strategy has definitely netted us some nice returns.

But for some reason there is a disconnect between our offensive scouting/talent evaluations and our defensive scouts/evals. I'm not sure why, but it is unquestionably there. If you were to give Spags a couple of top-tier guys to work with that were his choices, well, I'm just curious to see I guess
I know this is inconsistent, but I also believe in Spags, and if he thinks a couple of guys out there can rejuvenate our D, then I would give him full confidence to go ahead and get whoever he wants that we can reasonably obtain. It would be a big mistake to bring someone in like him and force him to work with what we give him. You can't make a 5-star dinner with chicken mcnuggets, GIVE THE MAN SOME STEAK!
alexonfyre is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 2,207
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Mortgage the farm?

Remember, Spags coached the winless Rams. Oh, that's right, they did manage to beat us.

I was optimistic when he came aboard as well, but without Sean Payton's leadership, he's just a failed head coach.

We need to stop trading successful, proven players.

We need a Suggs, or a Suh, unfortunately, to light up this defense the way Sharper did.

Alaska
AlaskaSaints is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
500th Post
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hub City
Posts: 576
Re: Mortgage the farm?

Originally Posted by alexonfyre View Post
You can't make a 5-star dinner with chicken mcnuggets, GIVE THE MAN SOME STEAK!
This right here. Scheme and teaching will only get you so far when you are competing against athletes of NFL caliber.

Originally Posted by AlaskaSaints View Post
Remember, Spags coached the winless Rams. Oh, that's right, they did manage to beat us.

I was optimistic when he came aboard as well, but without Sean Payton's leadership, he's just a failed head coach.

We need to stop trading successful, proven players.

We need a Suggs, or a Suh, unfortunately, to light up this defense the way Sharper did.

Alaska
Agreed, totally. But remember the old adage, you gotta spend money to make money. Loomis is a cap genius, and the additions we got this year are only going to make us better in the long run (he said hopefully)

I feel like your point about needing a Suggs, a Suh, etc.., is right on- for whatever reason, the D played better with Sharper there, and that season was bookended by some not-so-great performances out of many of the same players
Shoe. is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Gonzales, LA
Posts: 1,738
Re: Mortgage the farm?

Trouble is, we DID bring in some (allegedly) quality talent in the offseason. Grubbs, Bunkley, Hawthorne, Lofton, even Ruud were expected to make an impact ... and so far NOBODY has.

We made moves this past offseason, we signed some quality free-agents, and we're 0-3. I'm as lost as the rest of you ...
mutineer10 is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
500th Post
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 853
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Mortgage the farm?

Not only are at a lost but the team is at a lost. No one knows what end is up!
NOLA54 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/51117-mortgage-farm.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Mortgage the farm? This thread Refback 09-28-2012 02:42 PM 3


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts