Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Drew Brees prefers extension, but is ready to play out current deal

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by burningmetal There should be more of a plan in place in terms of the draft. With the limits on what rookies can make, you should be able to ballpark an idea of what you'll be spending. Set ...

Like Tree7Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #21
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 3,318
Re: Drew Brees prefers extension, but is ready to play out current deal

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
There should be more of a plan in place in terms of the draft. With the limits on what rookies can make, you should be able to ballpark an idea of what you'll be spending. Set a high water mark on what you would reasonably spend on the draft, and negotiate with your current players under those parameters. What's to stop Brees and management from going back and tweeking his deal a little bit, which ever direction, after the draft? I'm not aware of any rule that prohibits re-working a deal multiple times in an off season.

This is all assuming that they ever had an intention of signing any other free agents. If they ACTUALLY had no interest, then I think that's a mistake.
Why "retweak" when you can wait and know exactly what is needed, not to mention that all contracts have to get the approval of the league and I'm not sure how they look upon tweaking. And I have a feeling that if the Saints don't fill their needs through the draft that FA moves will be made.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:37 PM   #22
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,447
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Drew Brees prefers extension, but is ready to play out current deal

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Why "retweak" when you can wait and know exactly what is needed, not to mention that all contracts have to get the approval of the league and I'm not sure how they look upon tweaking. And I have a feeling that if the Saints don't fill their needs through the draft that FA moves will be made.
The answer to your question can be found in multiple posts that I've just made. It would have made sense in terms of being in play for more free agents. Now it doesn't really matter. There are guys out there, but not top shelf one's. I'm not talking about 100 million dollar guys. It would have been nice to make a play on someone like Derek Wolfe or Terrance Knighton.

By the way, I don't think the league has a problem with tweaking a deal. The Saints do it all the time.
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #23
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 3,318
Re: Drew Brees prefers extension, but is ready to play out current deal

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
The answer to your question can be found in multiple posts that I've just made. It would have made sense in terms of being in play for more free agents. Now it doesn't really matter. There are guys out there, but not top shelf one's. I'm not talking about 100 million dollar guys. It would have been nice to make a play on someone like Derek Wolfe or Terrance Knighton.

By the way, I don't think the league has a problem with tweaking a deal. The Saints do it all the time.
The Saints have never not been in play for a free agent. There was cap space available in other players that was exercised through extensions for the more common FA's and if a big one that they wanted had come into play they could have easily finalized the Brees deal earlier.

No, the Saints actually do not. What they do is exercise clauses written into the contracts such as converting roster bonuses into signing bonuses that can then be amortized. These can happen once per year in years that have the roster bonus stated. They also commonly work out extensions with players but these usually only happen once per contract in the final year. I can't remember a contract being renegotiated, or tweaked, at any other time. I'm not saying it has never happened, but I can't think of one.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #24
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,447
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Drew Brees prefers extension, but is ready to play out current deal

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
The Saints have never not been in play for a free agent. There was cap space available in other players that was exercised through extensions for the more common FA's and if a big one that they wanted had come into play they could have easily finalized the Brees deal earlier.

No, the Saints actually do not. What they do is exercise clauses written into the contracts such as converting roster bonuses into signing bonuses that can then be amortized. These can happen once per year in years that have the roster bonus stated. They also commonly work out extensions with players but these usually only happen once per contract in the final year. I can't remember a contract being renegotiated, or tweaked, at any other time. I'm not saying it has never happened, but I can't think of one.
All of the roster and signing bonus type of deals are what I'm referring to. It doesn't really matter if it's in a clause, or agreed to at a later time and added in. That's no different than an extension, in principle. There are player and team options at the end of some contracts, but in the case of Drew's deal there is nothing stating that he or the team will have the option of extending his deal and spreading out the cap hit.

I know you don't see a "re-reworking", if you will, often. If ever. I'm just wondering why it can't be done, if it's such a big deal to the team to wait and see what happens after the draft. It's an honest question.

Also, I still would like to know why you are so confident that the Saints were in play for other free agents. If they were supposedly in play for Josh Norman, then they surely could have landed one of the others if it would have been so easy, as you suggest.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #25
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,981
Re: Drew Brees prefers extension, but is ready to play out current deal

Originally Posted by SaintFanInATLHELL View Post
That's Osweiler's new contract with the Texans. He has started exactly 7 games ever with a 5-2 record.

SFIAH

Oh I thought you were talking about Luck.
WillSaints81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #26
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 5,520
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Drew Brees prefers extension, but is ready to play out current deal

Drew Brees won’t skip OTAs despite lack of contract extension | ProFootballTalk
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #27
LB Mentallity
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,989
Blog Entries: 52
Re: Drew Brees prefers extension, but is ready to play out current deal

so be it
hagan714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #28
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 12,532
Blog Entries: 23
Re: Drew Brees prefers extension, but is ready to play out current deal

Why should he? He is under contract that he and his agent negotiated, signed...

Brees has put up astounding numbers, even skewed to today's game, and has been compensated for it.

But I have more confidence in Coach Payton's offensive schemes, system than I do with the quarterback...

Need I remind anyone that Luke McCown nearly beat the SuperBowl runnerups in their own house? With the same team Brees also led?

Brees goes to another team, he's no where near the quarterback he is with Coach Payton running the offense...
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:12 AM   #29
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,671
Re: Drew Brees prefers extension, but is ready to play out current deal

What part of "Contract" don't they understand?
vpheughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:29 AM   #30
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Haven Ct
Posts: 22,413
Re: Drew Brees prefers extension, but is ready to play out current deal

A deal will get done.
QBREES9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts