Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Training Camp Day 3- Put on the Pads!

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by jeanpierre Where in the hell has this been?!? https://twitter.com/Amos_MoraleIII/s...09163172732928 Buffalo? got held up for a year?...

Like Tree49Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #51
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,099
Re: Training Camp Day 3- Put on the Pads!

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
Buffalo? got held up for a year?
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #52
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,099
Re: Training Camp Day 3- Put on the Pads!

Thomas could end up being our best rec. ever, like canton material. I know I know he hasn't played a down, but this kid looks ridic right now
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #53
Site Donor 2016
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,523
Re: Training Camp Day 3- Put on the Pads!

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
Thomas could end up being our best rec. ever, like canton material. I know I know he hasn't played a down, but this kid looks ridic right now
I'll wait till he's playing with the ones at least before I call him Canton bound.
What is up with Armstead? Why is he sidelined?
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:33 PM   #54
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 21,150
Re: Training Camp Day 3- Put on the Pads!

Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Sounds like they are cramming the defensive cool aid down our throats.
Who is they?
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #55
Resident Swede
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Märsta, Sweden
Posts: 6,406
Re: Training Camp Day 3- Put on the Pads!

Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
I'll wait till he's playing with the ones at least before I call him Canton bound.
What is up with Armstead? Why is he sidelined?
I read somewhere earlier that Armstead has a soft tissue injury but that its nothing serious.
Crusader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:11 PM   #56
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,099
Re: Training Camp Day 3- Put on the Pads!

Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
I'll wait till he's playing with the ones at least before I call him Canton bound.
What is up with Armstead? Why is he sidelined?
first of all you apparently do not understand English. I did not say he was Canton bound, I said could be. Moron
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:28 PM   #57
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 3,750
Re: Training Camp Day 3- Put on the Pads!

Here's Nick Underhill's recap of today:

ATTENDANCE: Ryker Mathews (knee), Alden Darby (ankle) and Lawrence Virgil (unknown) were the only players missing from the start of practice. Defensive tackle Nick Fairley and safety Erik Harris left practice with unknown ailments.

THOMAS HIGHLIGHT: Sean Payton said after practice that if you didn't know any better, you could show up and think that rookie wide receiver Michael Thomas was one of the team's veteran players. His strong hands are as advertised, and they showed up again on Saturday when Thomas reached around Brian Dixon to make an incredible catch. Perhaps the most impressive thing was the adjustment on the underthrown pass.

GUNNERS: Several players go work at gunner on Saturday, including Thomas, R.J. Harris, P.J. Williams, Trae Elston, Brandon Dixon, Brian Dixon, Ken Crawley and De'Vante Harris. Brian Dixon continues to show his value in this phase and had the best showing during a punt simulation drill. The other player who stood out was Ken Crawley, who did a good job of beating a pair of jammers to the mark a couple of times during the drill.


RANKINS UP: With Fairley suffering an injury, it put Sheldon Rankins with the first-team in the base defense next to John Jenkins. The rookie appeared to hold is own after starting next to Fairley in the nickel defense on Friday. During one-on-one pass-rush drills, we had Rankins splitting a pair of reps against offensive lineman Senio Kelemete.

KICKER COMP: Kai Forbath made all four his attempts, while Connor Barth had one hit the upright. Another wrinkle to this might be kickoffs. The kickers handed those duties on Saturday, and special teams coach Greg McMahon told The Advocate that all three players, including punter Thomas Morstead, will be competing for that job.

ONE-ON-ONES: One thing that stood out was how well Cam Jordan performed during the session. He had four reps and dominated in three. Kasim Edebali had a very nice rep when he beat Joe Cheek with a spin move. Andrus Peat, who received reps at both guard and tackle, did a very good job against Obum Gwacham. Jack Allen, Max Unger and Tim Lelito did not give much up. Ashaad Mabry beat Landon Turner on one rep.

COOKS VS. BREAUX: Brandin Cooks got out on Delvin Breaux again. Breaux, however, responded by breaking up a pair of passes later in practice. Sticking with the cornerbacks, Damian Swann got some first-team reps on the outside. P.J. Williams handled those duties on Friday when the team was in base.
Danno and jeanpierre like this.

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple of ways you can get out. One, is death; the other, is mental institutions."
ChrisXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #58
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 21,150
Re: Training Camp Day 3- Put on the Pads!

Originally Posted by ChrisXVI View Post
Here's Nick Underhill's recap of today:

ATTENDANCE: Ryker Mathews (knee), Alden Darby (ankle) and Lawrence Virgil (unknown) were the only players missing from the start of practice. Defensive tackle Nick Fairley and safety Erik Harris left practice with unknown ailments.

THOMAS HIGHLIGHT: Sean Payton said after practice that if you didn't know any better, you could show up and think that rookie wide receiver Michael Thomas was one of the team's veteran players. His strong hands are as advertised, and they showed up again on Saturday when Thomas reached around Brian Dixon to make an incredible catch. Perhaps the most impressive thing was the adjustment on the underthrown pass.

GUNNERS: Several players go work at gunner on Saturday, including Thomas, R.J. Harris, P.J. Williams, Trae Elston, Brandon Dixon, Brian Dixon, Ken Crawley and De'Vante Harris. Brian Dixon continues to show his value in this phase and had the best showing during a punt simulation drill. The other player who stood out was Ken Crawley, who did a good job of beating a pair of jammers to the mark a couple of times during the drill.


RANKINS UP: With Fairley suffering an injury, it put Sheldon Rankins with the first-team in the base defense next to John Jenkins. The rookie appeared to hold is own after starting next to Fairley in the nickel defense on Friday. During one-on-one pass-rush drills, we had Rankins splitting a pair of reps against offensive lineman Senio Kelemete.

KICKER COMP: Kai Forbath made all four his attempts, while Connor Barth had one hit the upright. Another wrinkle to this might be kickoffs. The kickers handed those duties on Saturday, and special teams coach Greg McMahon told The Advocate that all three players, including punter Thomas Morstead, will be competing for that job.

ONE-ON-ONES: One thing that stood out was how well Cam Jordan performed during the session. He had four reps and dominated in three. Kasim Edebali had a very nice rep when he beat Joe Cheek with a spin move. Andrus Peat, who received reps at both guard and tackle, did a very good job against Obum Gwacham. Jack Allen, Max Unger and Tim Lelito did not give much up. Ashaad Mabry beat Landon Turner on one rep.

COOKS VS. BREAUX: Brandin Cooks got out on Delvin Breaux again. Breaux, however, responded by breaking up a pair of passes later in practice. Sticking with the cornerbacks, Damian Swann got some first-team reps on the outside. P.J. Williams handled those duties on Friday when the team was in base.
Good stuff. On one play Senio got the jump on Rankins on the snap, but Rankins still got low and practically lifted and drove Senio back like a rag doll.

Not as much a slam on Senio, but awesome technique and power by Rankins, who has been dominant so far.

I also heard that Peat looks significantly more muscular and fit than last year, and basically won against everyone not named Cam Jordan.

Beast list finalists so far in camp
Thomas
Cooks (every other play dominates)
Rankins
Peat
Jordan (duh)
Bell
Fleener
Harris
Williams
Swann

Can't wait until PSG1


The easily offended are easily manipulated
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #59
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 21,150
Re: Training Camp Day 3- Put on the Pads!

Also, from reports I've read CJ Spiller looks to be healthy and is flashing the stop-go speed he had in his prime, and I'm hearing the same about Byrd too.

Thats really encouraging.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #60
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 21,150
Re: Training Camp Day 3- Put on the Pads!

Oh, and Vaccaro is welcoming all the youngster to the NFL, with some violent skull crushing hits.

I'm starting to think he really really hates offensive players.

Hunch: He may have a Polamalu type season.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/79036-training-camp-day-3-put-pads.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 07-30-2016 09:34 AM 11


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts