New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com (http://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   NFL (http://blackandgold.com/nfl/)
-   -   Nnamdi Asomugha (All in one) (http://blackandgold.com/nfl/56240-nnamdi-asomugha-all-one.html)

alexonfyre 03-23-2013 05:10 PM

Re: New Orleans Saints Better Off Not Signing Nnamdi Asomugha
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by frydaddy (Post 489409)
Now I get what a lot of you are saying about a good pass rush being a cb's best friend, and I agree. However, that's a 2 way street. If you knock a guy off his route, you disrupt his timing with the qb. If the qb has to hold onto the ball longer, the pass rush obviously has a better chance of getting there.

I just want to highlight this. A great pass-rush artificially inflates the image of the secondary, because fewer good passes are thrown. However, a good secondary can turn a bad pass-rush into an average one, and an average one into a great one. From free agency so far it looks like RR believes that our rushers can get to the quarterback if we can shut it down in the back field. In addition, it is much cheaper to sign good help in the secondary than in the front of the D.
This is why Nnamdi and Keenan Lewis make sense for us, biggest bang for buck.

Rugby Saint II 03-23-2013 05:42 PM

Re: PFT-Bryant McKinnie, Nnamdi Asomugha on Saintsí radar
 
We'll have to wait until Monday I guess. :roll:

st thomas 03-23-2013 06:08 PM

Re: Nnamdi is still looking at Niners, Saints
 
How can the eagles can 4 mill with a new coach coming in and still has to take the hit against the cap? Now that i.m saying that j. Delhomme made 12 mill without missing a beat out of carolina

jeanpierre 03-23-2013 07:09 PM

Re: New Orleans Saints Better Off Not Signing Nnamdi Asomugha
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boutte (Post 489226)
I think if you want instant impact a proven, effective pass rusher is the answer.

Hear! Hear!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joker (Post 489290)
OMG, I can't believe some people still want to see an aging CB in a Saints uniform. The Saint's will be better off spending the money on the D Line and a OLB who can generate some pass rush, if this happens our current CB will look to be all pro.
If its gotten overlooked still need a LT way more than we need Nnamdi A.. Let him go back to California and get over paid for his services, seems like we have enough of that already with Will Smith and Johnathon Vilma regardless if they restructured their contracts.

Well Posted!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danno (Post 489220)
Brees spoke thru the media both during his contract negotiations and the CBA negotiations.

Ya'll still want Brees?


Totally different context, Nnamdi's negative criticism was football Brees was contract/business; and criticizing staff, football game-planning in-season is just plain awful, it it habitual, probably not, but I don't think he's worth the risk...


Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOak (Post 489389)
Raise your hand if you already have Nnamdi wallpaper.

LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by xan (Post 489398)
Wall or toilet?

CLOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by frydaddy (Post 489409)
On further review, I wish I had not broken character after all. Caught me on a rough morning, but we all have em, so I apologize.

I still think you're wrong about him though. I understand you got to see the worst of him and all, but my argument remains the same. Wrong guy in the wrong scheme.

We may disagree, but we're all friends and Saints Fans; I've gotten under people's skin, but it's not personal, though I don't back down when someone has crossed a line...

Now onto your point - not trying to see the worst, but I'm weighing risk/reward vs available cap room and I don't think he's the best direction for the team...

nycsaintfan 03-23-2013 07:14 PM

Re: Nnamdi is still looking at Niners, Saints
 
The more and more I read about Asomugha the more I hope we don't sign him. I think he can still be a productive player in the league. But, we still need to generate a pass rush for our defensive backs to be successful. With a diminishing skill set I'm not sure Nnamdi is what our team needs at this point. He might be in a better position to be productive with the 49er defense considering they have been in the 34 for about three years now, and their front seven can really put pressure on the quarterback, really hiding some of the declining skills that Asomugha possess.

Lets face it, although we played variations of the 34 under Greg Williams, it takes a team a few years to really get accustomed to a new formation. We still have the same personnel that has struggled to produce a respectable pass rush the past few years. Every dollar counts this off-season, why spend it on a player in decline who won't get the help necessary from the front seven... or the back two (Jenkins/ Harper).

Also remember this, just because Asomugha had success with Ryan in the past does not mean we are going to get the same type of player, tomorrow.

nycsaintfan 03-23-2013 07:18 PM

Re: New Orleans Saints Better Off Not Signing Nnamdi Asomugha
 
I just posted this in another thread. But thought it fit here as well...

The more and more I read about Asomugha the more I hope we don't sign him. I think he can still be a productive player in the league. But, we still need to generate a pass rush for our defensive backs to be successful. With a diminishing skill set I'm not sure Nnamdi is what our team needs at this point. He might be in a better position to be productive with the 49er defense considering they have been in the 34 for about three years now, and their front seven can really put pressure on the quarterback, really hiding some of the declining skills that Asomugha possess.

Lets face it, although we played variations of the 34 under Greg Williams, it takes a team a few years to really get accustomed to a new formation. We still have the same personnel that has struggled to produce a respectable pass rush the past few years. Every dollar counts this off-season, why spend it on a player in decline who won't get the help necessary from the front seven... or the back two (Jenkins/ Harper).

Also remember this, just because Asomugha had success with Ryan in the past does not mean we are going to get the same type of player, tomorrow.

jeanpierre 03-23-2013 08:01 PM

Re: New Orleans Saints Better Off Not Signing Nnamdi Asomugha
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycsaintfan (Post 489452)
I just posted this in another thread. But thought it fit here as well...

The more and more I read about Asomugha the more I hope we don't sign him. I think he can still be a productive player in the league. But, we still need to generate a pass rush for our defensive backs to be successful. With a diminishing skill set I'm not sure Nnamdi is what our team needs at this point. He might be in a better position to be productive with the 49er defense considering they have been in the 34 for about three years now, and their front seven can really put pressure on the quarterback, really hiding some of the declining skills that Asomugha possess.

Lets face it, although we played variations of the 34 under Greg Williams, it takes a team a few years to really get accustomed to a new formation. We still have the same personnel that has struggled to produce a respectable pass rush the past few years. Every dollar counts this off-season, why spend it on a player in decline who won't get the help necessary from the front seven... or the back two (Jenkins/ Harper).

Also remember this, just because Asomugha had success with Ryan in the past does not mean we are going to get the same type of player, tomorrow.

This is a great post, but we're not going to find a pass rush this late in the game...

FinSaint 03-23-2013 08:06 PM

Re: New Orleans Saints Better Off Not Signing Nnamdi Asomugha
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycsaintfan (Post 489452)
Also remember this, just because Asomugha had success with Ryan in the past does not mean we are going to get the same type of player, tomorrow.


Well that same truism can be applied to your other points as well, and we can't know if Asomugha would still be a Pro Bowler under Ryan going forward - unlikely for certain but not impossible.

You pointed out that it takes defenses a few years to get accustomed to a new formation, but that's not always the case either. Wade Phillips was successful in implementing his 3-4 defense in Houston immediately, and if I'm not mistaken the Texans ran a predominantly base 4-3 before that under Frank Bush. Under Bush, the Texans' defense finished 3rd worst in total defense in 2010, but just a year removed they finished in top 4 of all the major defensive categories under Phillips. So, a quick change can happen and a bad defense can turn into a good one in just a year if everything falls into place - of course the opposite is possible as well, which could happen to the 49ers defense.

D_it_up 03-23-2013 08:43 PM

Re: Nnamdi is still looking at Niners, Saints
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycsaintfan (Post 489451)
Lets face it, although we played variations of the 34 under Greg Williams, it takes a team a few years to really get accustomed to a new formation. We still have the same personnel that has struggled to produce a respectable pass rush the past few years. Every dollar counts this off-season, why spend it on a player in decline who won't get the help necessary from the front seven... or the back two (Jenkins/ Harper).

But our defense was better under those variations, because most of this personnel is better suited for a 3-4 defense anyway. There is a very good foundation for the Saints in making the switch. You could very well see players like Wilson, Galette, Hicks, Bunkley, Harper and Jordan play lights out in a 3-4, because that is what seems to play to their skill sets better. Picking up another pass rushing linebacker or defensive lineman in free agency or the draft just deepens the talent pool on the roster and could make our secondary look a lot better. It doesn't necessarily take three years for a team to pick up a system if that is what they are built to play. It didn't work with Spags, because his complex 4-3 zone system didn't play to the Saints strengths on defense. Under Gregg Williams, there was a lot more man-to-man coverage and heavy blitzing. It was ultimately successful, especially in the Super Bowl year, because of their ability to force turnovers and at least get in the faces of opposing quarterbacks. I would expect to see a lot of the same under Rob Ryan. I think this defense has a chance to be greatly improved this year, and not just slightly improved. There is really nowhere to go but up, but I do expect to see a lot more sacks and forced turnovers this year. I'm actually excited about seeing this defense on the field next year.

I'd also like to add that if it takes the Saints defense three years to pick up the system, then Rob Ryan will probably be without a job in New Orleans.

tiger_bait 03-23-2013 09:06 PM

Re: Nnamdi is still looking at Niners, Saints
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brian504 (Post 489433)
Its simple my fellow Saints front office workers...SIGN HIM!!! dont let the niners beef up! Pay him or play him.u do the math. Who Dat like u already knew dat!

judging on his last few years i would much rather play him....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2018 - BlackandGold.com