Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

What To Do About The O-line

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; They played better. Not great but better. I will take it...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #11
LB Mentallity
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,985
Blog Entries: 52
Re: What To Do About The O-line

They played better. Not great but better. I will take it
hagan714 is offline  
Old 10-08-2007, 03:28 PM   #12
Prediction Pain
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,082
Blog Entries: 2
Re: What To Do About The O-line

Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
I said it! Thats who said it. I said it last year I said it this year in this very thread. We managed to over achieve and win 2 more games over .500 ball last year, nothing to get to excited about. We were set up and not many people saw it coming. I will disagree that most analyst pick up 3-13 I think there was one.
What I'm saying, Euph, is who said that Reggie Bush was going to "fix" the team? Believe me, I know what your point is: We should go back in time, un-pick reggie bush and draft the 93 Cowboys O-line instead. <--Hyperbole

The Reggie Bush pick had to happen. The New Orleans Saints are a business and Bush was good for business. Much better than D'Brick, Davin Joseph, Nick Mangold, Winston Justice or Deuce Lutui would have been. From a long term perspective, would it have been a better move to trade the pick and maybe pick up more blue chip linemen? Maybe, but hindsight is 20/20. If you want to jump on the Meachem pick, I'm all about that. Any of the 15 linemen taken between him and Usama Young would have been preferred.

Google 2006 nfc south predictions. Everyone predicted a losing record and a last place finish.

King (3-13, last NFCS) SI.com - Writers - Monday Morning QB (cont.) - Monday September 4, 2006 10:20PM
Dr. Z (6-10, Last NFCS) SI.com - Writers - Dr. Z: Breaking down the road to SB XLI - Thursday August 31, 2006 11:44AM

"defence's personal to allwats double team or watch is over, that one reason why the saints or not any good." - Vador101
WhoDat205 is offline  
Old 10-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #13
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 6,955
Blog Entries: 5
Re: What To Do About The O-line

Originally Posted by hagan714 View Post
They played better. Not great but better. I will take it
I don't know if they played better... I think on paper we matched up better thats why the score looked better for a change.
Euphoria is offline  
Old 10-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #14
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 6,955
Blog Entries: 5
Re: What To Do About The O-line

Originally Posted by WhoDat205 View Post
What I'm saying, Euph, is who said that Reggie Bush was going to "fix" the team? Believe me, I know what your point is: We should go back in time, un-pick reggie bush and draft the 93 Cowboys O-line instead. <--Hyperbole

The Reggie Bush pick had to happen. The New Orleans Saints are a business and Bush was good for business. Much better than D'Brick, Davin Joseph, Nick Mangold, Winston Justice or Deuce Lutui would have been. From a long term perspective, would it have been a better move to trade the pick and maybe pick up more blue chip linemen? Maybe, but hindsight is 20/20. If you want to jump on the Meachem pick, I'm all about that. Any of the 15 linemen taken between him and Usama Young would have been preferred.

Google 2006 nfc south predictions. Everyone predicted a losing record and a last place finish.

King (3-13, last NFCS) SI.com - Writers - Monday Morning QB (cont.) - Monday September 4, 2006 10:20PM
Dr. Z (6-10, Last NFCS) SI.com - Writers - Dr. Z: Breaking down the road to SB XLI - Thursday August 31, 2006 11:44AM
ahhh yes... I agree with your perspective and use of words. I totally agree Bush was a business pick and not a football pick.
Euphoria is offline  
Old 10-09-2007, 12:45 AM   #15
100th Post
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 167
Re: What To Do About The O-line

Dallas has a great oline and a great dline they are undefeated. They look unstopable. Qb made some mistakes but because they have a great dline and a great oline they pulled out a victory after an onside kick and a 53 yd fieldgoal.
Saints have a terrible oline and a horrific dline and havent won a game in five starts goin back to nfc championship game. After our last game in which our qb made some bad mistakes our dysfunctional oline and lazy dline wasnt able to keep us in the game by us missing a 53 yd fieldgoal to win the game.
What about that line? How could they allow a defender to block a fieldgoal with his elbow and not even on our side of the ball. Where did we get these guys?
dasaints26 is offline  
Old 10-09-2007, 01:09 AM   #16
SaintSince67
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PortCity
Posts: 2,010
Re: What To Do About The O-line

Bush is a player - he's just not a Duece. Payton is running Bush as if he has tackle breaking capabilities and he doesn't - Peyton's fault. Our O-line looks so bad by design - I read it said all over this site - same line as last year with a different result. What changed? The design, Sean's design. What they are trying to do has changed. Payton genius should put what ever talent we have in the best position to succeed, but what I have seen so far has positioned most players for failure - straight down the list: QB, CB, RB, and on-and-on. None of our talent has been optimized. Quickness hasn't been positioned to places where quickness benefits. Strength hasn't been utilized in its most effective situations. Pass blocking gets easier after you establish some push. All a function of Sean's new design. I say let's scrap this design and get back to basics. Karney AND Bush in the backfield. Speed, strength, protection, options, and balance. Simple success will go a long way. Baby steps, until we learn how to walk again.

**SaintSince67**
darstep is offline  
Old 10-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #17
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 6,955
Blog Entries: 5
Re: What To Do About The O-line

Originally Posted by darstep View Post
Bush is a player - he's just not a Duece. Payton is running Bush as if he has tackle breaking capabilities and he doesn't - Peyton's fault. Our O-line looks so bad by design - I read it said all over this site - same line as last year with a different result. What changed? The design, Sean's design. What they are trying to do has changed. Payton genius should put what ever talent we have in the best position to succeed, but what I have seen so far has positioned most players for failure - straight down the list: QB, CB, RB, and on-and-on. None of our talent has been optimized. Quickness hasn't been positioned to places where quickness benefits. Strength hasn't been utilized in its most effective situations. Pass blocking gets easier after you establish some push. All a function of Sean's new design. I say let's scrap this design and get back to basics. Karney AND Bush in the backfield. Speed, strength, protection, options, and balance. Simple success will go a long way. Baby steps, until we learn how to walk again.
The design was set in stone years ago. We have failed to address our Oline and Dline with top feature personel. We have had problems since Brooks was QB and everybody jumped on Brooks instead of the real core problem. We got lucky and over acheived last year but you could still see the problem if you go back and look at last season against teams with exceptional lines... they blew us out. This year we have been exposed and no reggie bush can fix that, no qb. You have to have a legitimate O line and D line to be successfull in this league today. The Mannings of this world still need a D and O line, yeah they are great alone but they need others to help them be successful.
Euphoria is offline  
Old 10-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #18
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 6,955
Blog Entries: 5
Re: What To Do About The O-line

Originally Posted by dasaints26 View Post
Dallas has a great oline and a great dline they are undefeated. They look unstopable. Qb made some mistakes but because they have a great dline and a great oline they pulled out a victory after an onside kick and a 53 yd fieldgoal.
Saints have a terrible oline and a horrific dline and havent won a game in five starts goin back to nfc championship game. After our last game in which our qb made some bad mistakes our dysfunctional oline and lazy dline wasnt able to keep us in the game by us missing a 53 yd fieldgoal to win the game.
What about that line? How could they allow a defender to block a fieldgoal with his elbow and not even on our side of the ball. Where did we get these guys?
You are on the nose with your assessment. Doesn't matter how bad of a game your role players have but if you have a great core in the trenches you are still going to be in games!!!
Euphoria is offline  
Old 10-09-2007, 03:06 PM   #19
Boondock Saint
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: F***ing Atlanta
Posts: 302
Re: What To Do About The O-line

Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
ahhh yes... I agree with your perspective and use of words. I totally agree Bush was a business pick and not a football pick.
========

When Reggie fell to us I prayed we would leverage the pick into two offensive linemen. I wanted Mangold badly.

I am not sure who else to have picked, but he and a DT would have been great or another O lineman.

When we sent our card to the stage and picked Reggie, I said to my wife, "Well we may not be any better as a football team, but we will sell more tickets and the Saints will be in New Orleans for quite a few more years."

I am not sure who would have traded with us, but the Jets had two first round picks and I sure wanted those multiple picks instead of our one pick.
WhoDatQB is offline  
Old 10-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #20
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Haven Ct
Posts: 22,413
Re: What To Do About The O-line

They did play better. So who is the week link on the line. jon jarhi jeff jamar or the ALL-PRO jamal ???
QBREES9 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts