Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Brees’ franchise tender comes in at $16.371 million

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by SaintFanInATLHELL I guess I'm going to get the a-hole tag today because I'm going to play Tom Condon: Peyton Manning has not played in more than a year. He has a documented injury that could by all ...

Like Tree20Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #21
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 15,447
Originally Posted by SaintFanInATLHELL View Post
I guess I'm going to get the a-hole tag today because I'm going to play Tom Condon:

Peyton Manning has not played in more than a year. He has a documented injury that could by all accounts end his career. He just signed a 5 year $96 million that pays essentially a flat $20 a year. And BTW he's 36.

My guy is 3 years younger. My guy just had the best season that an NFL QB has EVER HAD! I repeat EVER HAD! The last 5 years has been the best 5 year stretch in the history of the NFL for a QB. Your franchise won its first SB ever with my guy at the helm.

So exactly why should my guy take a back seat to a QB who is older and injured? Why should we settle for a shorter contract? My guy wants to retire here in New Orleans. He wants the well deserved security and respect that should be afforded to what is by all accounts a HOF QB at the prime of his career.

Let's find a way to get this done so we can get back to the business of winning championships. 5 years, $115 million, with $75 million frontloaded in the first three years frankly isn't too much to ask. My guy is the best QB in the NFL and can likely be the best QB in the history of the NFL if we can get this done.

End presentation.

SFIAH
The only problem is that you don't know what was offered and what was requested.

Brees may have been low-balled, then again he may have been offered more than any player in NFL history.

My guess is that we wanted it structured so that he gets a huge jump in 2014 when the salary cap rises substantially. That keeps us cap friendly for 2012 and 2013.
Tom probably said NFW, we want it now.
Danno is offline  
Old 05-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #22
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: "Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice"
Posts: 4,298
Blog Entries: 15
Originally Posted by SaintFanInATLHELL View Post
I guess I'm going to get the a-hole tag today because I'm going to play Tom Condon:

Peyton Manning has not played in more than a year. He has a documented injury that could by all accounts end his career. He just signed a 5 year $96 million that pays essentially a flat $20 a year. And BTW he's 36.

My guy is 3 years younger. My guy just had the best season that an NFL QB has EVER HAD! I repeat EVER HAD! The last 5 years has been the best 5 year stretch in the history of the NFL for a QB. Your franchise won its first SB ever with my guy at the helm.

So exactly why should my guy take a back seat to a QB who is older and injured? Why should we settle for a shorter contract? My guy wants to retire here in New Orleans. He wants the well deserved security and respect that should be afforded to what is by all accounts a HOF QB at the prime of his career.

Let's find a way to get this done so we can get back to the business of winning championships. 5 years, $115 million, with $75 million frontloaded in the first three years frankly isn't too much to ask. My guy is the best QB in the NFL and can likely be the best QB in the history of the NFL if we can get this done.

End presentation.

SFIAH
That's fair, I understand and have no problem with Brees getting paid what he's worth or based on his performance, but as I've browsed the board the past 3-4 months, I've seen he's been offered a couple pretty impressive contracts that would have made him the highest paid player in the NFL at the time? And now there's the whole franchise-tag-thing to contend with ... I just can't figure out what he's waiting on, unless they're waiting to see how much salary cap will be freed up due to player suspensions/penalties so they can offer Drew more. ?

Maybe I'm naive and can't relate to the problems of the-rich-and-famous-athlete types, but how much more then $18mil-or-so a year do you need before you have the well-deserved security & respect you feel should be afforded you? It's been beat to death, I know, I'm just transitioning over to the, "like Drew as a player and want to see him sign with NO, but this has been dragging out too long and not so much supporting his contract fight anymore" side.

While I can't see Brees playing for anyone other then New Orleans, I'm starting to think the only thing that will keep Drew from retiring a Saint is Drew, or Tom Condon, whoever is running that show, and a viable option for Brees (at 33) is to sign a three year contract, retire a Saint at age 36 and field offers from the networks, all of which would be glad to have him on their broadcast teams ... now that's a plan for security & respect, IMO.
FinSaint likes this.

... this space intentionally left blank ...
SloMotion is offline  
Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #23
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 15,696
Originally Posted by SloMotion View Post
That's fair, I understand and have no problem with Brees getting paid what he's worth or based on his performance, but as I've browsed the board the past 3-4 months, I've seen he's been offered a couple pretty impressive contracts that would have made him the highest paid player in the NFL at the time? And now there's the whole franchise-tag-thing to contend with ... I just can't figure out what he's waiting on, unless they're waiting to see how much salary cap will be freed up due to player suspensions/penalties so they can offer Drew more. ?

Maybe I'm naive and can't relate to the problems of the-rich-and-famous-athlete types, but how much more then $18mil-or-so a year do you need before you have the well-deserved security & respect you feel should be afforded you? It's been beat to death, I know, I'm just transitioning over to the, "like Drew as a player and want to see him sign with NO, but this has been dragging out too long and not so much supporting his contract fight anymore" side.

While I can't see Brees playing for anyone other then New Orleans, I'm starting to think the only thing that will keep Drew from retiring a Saint is Drew, or Tom Condon, whoever is running that show, and a viable option for Brees (at 33) is to sign a three year contract, retire a Saint at age 36 and field offers from the networks, all of which would be glad to have him on their broadcast teams ... now that's a plan for security & respect, IMO.
Slo...

Its not a question of "need", obviously Drews "ends are meeting". Besides the great post by SFIAH, I am sure there is some "lime light" that the Saints/Drew/Condon want in the form of Highest paid player. Drews contract does not just effect Drew, Condon, Saints. It will effect each and every other QB that gets hits with a franchise tag also....

There is a business game behind the football game. The higher Drews contract is, the farther north the franchise tag goes... would be a good chess move to make another QB for another team unaffordable because the FT went up .

I am not entirely sure the debate at this point is value, I think it is loading...

If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.
TheOak is offline  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #24
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: "Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice"
Posts: 4,298
Blog Entries: 15
Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
Slo...

Its not a question of "need", obviously Drews "ends are meeting". Besides the great post by SFIAH, I am sure there is some "lime light" that the Saints/Drew/Condon want in the form of Highest paid player. Drews contract does not just effect Drew, Condon, Saints. It will effect each and every other QB that gets hits with a franchise tag also....

There is a business game behind the football game. The higher Drews contract is, the farther north the franchise tag goes... would be a good chess move to make another QB for another team unaffordable because the FT went up .

I am not entirely sure the debate at this point is value, I think it is loading...
Yeah, "it's just good business" and I can see the 'fighting the franchise tag' angle ... I'll be glad when it's over and it can be confirmed what the holdup was ... it's not even my QB and it's stressing me out, .
Rugby Saint II likes this.
SloMotion is offline  
Old 05-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #25
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 15,696
Originally Posted by SloMotion View Post
Yeah, "it's just good business" and I can see the 'fighting the franchise tag' angle ... I'll be glad when it's over and it can be confirmed what the holdup was ... it's not even my QB and it's stressing me out, .
The public may never know the real reason for the hold up. Once it is signed I doubt anyone will care...
SapperSaint likes this.
TheOak is offline  
Old 05-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #26
Pink Nightmare
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,867
Blog Entries: 7
Totally agree with that 626. Once Drew signs.... who cares about the how's, the why's or the how much.

I just want to know he is signed and will be here until he retires.
Rugby Saint II likes this.
SapperSaint is offline  
Old 05-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #27
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bayou Cane
Posts: 6,273
Blog Entries: 11
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
The only problem is that you don't know what was offered and what was requested.

Brees may have been low-balled, then again he may have been offered more than any player in NFL history.

My guess is that we wanted it structured so that he gets a huge jump in 2014 when the salary cap rises substantially. That keeps us cap friendly for 2012 and 2013.
Tom probably said NFW, we want it now.
It always comes back to Tom Condon, doesn't it?!?
jeanpierre is offline  
Old 05-11-2012, 05:38 AM   #28
The Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lithonia, GA
Posts: 1,420
Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
It always comes back to Tom Condon, doesn't it?!?
Of course it always comes back to the agent. The agent's job is to get their client the best deal to be had. From his perspective, Condon is smelling like roses. By waiting he got one client, Carl Nicks, the richest deal for a guard ever. By waiting, Manning got signed to a deal that's virtually $20 million, setting a QB bar for an older injured QB as opposed to his client. By waiting, everyone got to see the guaranteed $53 million that Calvin Johnson signed for. From a pure business standpoint, by waiting, Condon has honestly made that $23 million/year not look ridiculous.

So of course it always comes back to agent. If there were no agent in the picture, Drew probably would have signed last year, or during the year.

Getting the best deal for his client is his job. And looking at his track record, he's very very good at it.

I still predict the final numbers will come in between $21 and $22 million/year with $60+ million guaranteed, virtually guaranteeing that Drew retires a Saint. But it's going to take some work and some time to get there.

SFIAH

The Saints have been to playoffs 4 of the last 5 years and a own a SB championship.

I can hardly believe this happened in my lifetime.
SaintFanInATLHELL is offline  
Old 05-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #29
Deuce
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,878
Originally Posted by SaintFanInATLHELL View Post
My guy just had the best season that an NFL QB has EVER HAD!
I have to very respectfully disagree with that statement. I don't believe it is possible to have the best season that any QB ever had and have that season end with less than a Lombardi. If it were true, then people could realistically claim that Marino was the best QB to ever play the game. EVER!!!
Saint_LB is offline  
Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #30
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Haven Ct
Posts: 18,222
They Offerd to make him the higest paid player in the league. He trun it down. 5 million dollars apart. Ok will see.
QBREES9 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/43674-brees-franchise-tender-comes-16-371-million.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Brees’ franchise tender comes in at $16.371 million This thread Refback 05-03-2012 03:18 PM 4


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts