Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Darren Sproles vs. Reggie Bush: Who's the superior weapon?

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Bush was the king of the perimeters.......he knew where the sideline was and always made sure he headed straight for it, always 1 yard shy of a first down Sproles is a beast, reggie can't touch him...

Like Tree45Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #21
Threaded by dizzle88
1000 Posts +
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 4,199

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

Bush was the king of the perimeters.......he knew where the sideline was and always made sure he headed straight for it, always 1 yard shy of a first down

Sproles is a beast, reggie can't touch him
WhoDat!656 likes this.
Views: 4961
Old 07-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #22
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: "Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice"
Posts: 4,309
Blog Entries: 15
It's kinda' funny, both guys had probably their best seasons last year after moving on from the team that originally drafted them, so a change of scenery definitely benefited both players.

Bush, to me, was always potential unrealized and a poor-man's Barry Sanders in New Orleans ... he covered a lot of ground sideline-to-sideline like Barry, but without the forward progress or the touchdowns ... he only started half the time due to injury also, eh? I used to hear more about him dating a Kardashian then his game.

Sproles may not have Reggie's numbers or pizzazz, but his first year numbers in NO compare to Bush's production and he's more of what I want a RB to be.

Advantage: New Orleans/Darren Sproles.

... this space intentionally left blank ...
SloMotion is offline  
Old 07-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #23
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,171
Originally Posted by SloMotion View Post
It's kinda' funny, both guys had probably their best seasons last year after moving on from the team that originally drafted them, so a change of scenery definitely benefited both players.

Bush, to me, was always potential unrealized and a poor-man's Barry Sanders in New Orleans ... he covered a lot of ground sideline-to-sideline like Barry, but without the forward progress or the touchdowns ... he only started half the time due to injury also, eh? I used to hear more about him dating a Kardashian then his game.

Sproles may not have Reggie's numbers or pizzazz, but his first year numbers in NO compare to Bush's production and he's more of what I want a RB to be.

Advantage: New Orleans/Darren Sproles.
Sproles performed at a high level in SD too. Reggie didn't begin to do much of anything while he was here except stay injured. I would love to see these numbers you speak of that Bush has. He may have had the chance to have great numbers if he had been on the field, but he couldn't stay on the field and to me that trumps everything else. Durability is as important as athleticism and skill, and that is where Sproles has Bush beat hands down.
The Dude is offline  
Old 07-18-2012, 07:46 AM   #24
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 16,072
Rushing- I'll take Sproles
Receiving - Sproles
Kick Returns - Sproles
Punt returns - Sproles

40 yard dash in shorts - Gotta go with Bush.
Danno is online now  
Old 07-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #25
xan
Professor Crab and
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Princeton
Posts: 3,010
Blog Entries: 27
Sproles didn't have Reggie's numbers? Is this guy misreading the statistics because crack coated pubic hair are covering his eyes?

Why was this even published? Are people that desperate?
The Dude likes this.
xan is offline  
Old 07-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #26
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: "Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice"
Posts: 4,309
Blog Entries: 15
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Sproles performed at a high level in SD too. Reggie didn't begin to do much of anything while he was here except stay injured. I would love to see these numbers you speak of that Bush has. He may have had the chance to have great numbers if he had been on the field, but he couldn't stay on the field and to me that trumps everything else. Durability is as important as athleticism and skill, and that is where Sproles has Bush beat hands down.
Reggie Bush NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Darren Sproles NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Durability ... that's where we agree and it's a big part of what I meant when I said Sproles is more of what I want from a running back and why I gave the advantage to New Orleans/Sproles ... 3-4 ypc, first downs/touchdowns when you need 'em, good hands out-of-the-backfield, good pass protection as needed and durability, that's all I ask and dream for ... you got to remember, I follow a club that insanely keeps parading Kevin Smith out as a starting NFL running back, knowingly drafted a RB with a severe history of concussions and drafted another RB who immediately tore an Achilles and has an alcohol/drug problem ... <sigh> ... no, I understand the importance of durability ... I live and die RB durability, .

In terms of Bush's numbers, I was referring more to his first two or three seasons with the Saints, and more specifically, last season with Miami ... he had 1,000 rush/pass yds in those seasons (or close to it) ... last year in Miami he had over 1,000yds rushing, something Sproles has never done. Also, Bush's numbers with the Saints beat Sproles' numbers with the Chargers pretty much across the board and in every category ... but, I am not so naive to think this necessarily makes Bush the better back and that there aren't other factors to consider.

Sproles may not necessarily be the better RB, but he is a better fit for New Orleans then Bush and if you compare his first season numbers in New Orleans to Bush's five seasons with the Saints, they compare favorably, and as you pointed out, his durability puts him over the top. This is what the Saints need, a reliable/durable running game to compliment the passing game, not overshadow it. Sproles provides that, Bush didn't. Bush, however, did show in Miami that when he gets the carries, he'll get the yardage ... it's just debatable whether he'll be able to do it for any length of time.

When I saw both backs had arguably their career best career seasons upon changing teams, it makes me think perhaps they didn't necessarily fit their teams' offensive scheme more then one is necessarily better then the other, though Bush's stats certainly are better then Sproles' ... but, Sproles is certainly the better RB for New Orleans, .
Crusader likes this.

... this space intentionally left blank ...
SloMotion is offline  
Old 07-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #27
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 16,072
Rushing average
Reggie - 4.3 per carry
Sproles -5.2 per carry

Receiving Average
Reggie - 7.2 per rec
Sproles -9.1 per rec

Punt Return Average
Reggie - 7.9 per return
Sproles -8.6 per return

Why is this even a debate?
SaintGup and kcsaints like this.
Danno is online now  
Old 07-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #28
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: "Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice"
Posts: 4,309
Blog Entries: 15
Originally Posted by xan View Post
Sproles didn't have Reggie's numbers? Is this guy misreading the statistics because crack coated pubic hair are covering his eyes?

Why was this even published? Are people that desperate?
Really guy? 'crack coated pubic hair covering his eyes', I expect that kind of garbage on a Detroit board or an Atlanta board, but not on B&G. You disappoint me ... the stats I'm reading are posted in my reply to 'the Dude' ... feel free to analyze them yourself.

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Rushing average
Reggie - 4.3 per carry
Sproles -5.2 per carry

Receiving Average
Reggie - 7.2 per rec
Sproles -9.1 per rec

Punt Return Average
Reggie - 7.9 per return
Sproles -8.6 per return

Why is this even a debate?
Rushing average ... number of carries figures into this, Bush consistenly had more carries per season and thus his APC will be lower ... you conveniently left out # of touchdowns also.

Receiving average ... again, you're not looking at number of receptions, if I catch 1 pass for 70yds and you catch 3 passes of 75yds, 20yds and 10yds, who has the better receiving average? Where's the YPG stat on both these guys?

Punt Return average ... touche', I guess ... apples & oranges, don't care about punt returns, I'm focusing on the run game.

Why is it a debate? ... probably because it's the offseason, bountygate is winding down & Drew has signed ... it's really not, in every post I chose Sproles over Bush, IDK why it's being perceived I'm backing Reggie Bush so much ... the mere fact he dated Kim Kardashian and I was subjected to seeing the camera pan over to her during a few games is enough to nauseate me & turn me against Reggie forever ... I was just pointing out that both backs experienced the best seasons of their career after leaving their respective teams and the change of scenery obviously did them some good ... it's one of those intangibles I like to focus on and whereas Bush may statistically be the better back, he's not the best back for New Orleans ... Sproles is, but that's not to say Bush isn't productive somewhere else, because he is ... in Miami.

Advantage: still New Orleans/Sproles.

Now get off me.

... this space intentionally left blank ...
SloMotion is offline  
Old 07-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #29
Pink Nightmare
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,886
Blog Entries: 7
Darren is superior, and Reggie knows it.

Darren rolls and Reggie blows.
SapperSaint is online now  
Old 07-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #30
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bayou Bayfield CO
Posts: 2,866
It'll be interesting to compare these two in a couple of years. I will say this right now: don't know about the Fin's fans, but we Who Dats sure aren't feelin' cheated by this particular exchange.
WhoDat!656 likes this.
Seer1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/46127-darren-sproles-vs-reggie-bush-whos-superior-weapon.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Darren Sproles vs. Reggie Bush: Who's the superior weapon? This thread Refback 07-17-2012 09:39 PM 1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts