Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Did Peyton really break Drew's record?

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; What is interesting... Brees breaks records and gets called selfish Manning breaks records and gets called great....

Like Tree16Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #21
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: Did Peyton really break Drew's record?

What is interesting...

Brees breaks records and gets called selfish

Manning breaks records and gets called great.
frankeefrank likes this.
TheOak is offline  
Old 12-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #22
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,034
Re: Did Peyton really break Drew's record?

Records don't mean anything. You could start 500 consecutive games, get a record and could have lost all 500 games. So he broke a record and has been MVP a million times he still has ONE SB trophy, ONE!!
vpheughan is offline  
Old 12-31-2013, 10:06 PM   #23
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 14
Re: Did Peyton really break Drew's record?

If they would've overturned the call it would've still only been Brees's record on a technicality anyways, Peyton would've had an entire 2nd half to get it if it was called a run anyways.

How many people on this message board would be saying the same things they're saying if it was Brees in this situation? I'd say not too many. There'd be a whole lot of "He deserved it anyways and it doesn't even matter because he would've gotten it had he not been benched." People are still pretty angry over Drew's MVP snub and I understand that, but there's no need to hold a grudge over the man who clearly deserved this record with his play.

I also really don't understand the "he only has one ring!" argument either, does our very own Elite QB not only have 1 ring as well? In what, only 3 less years than Manning if you count Peyton's injury? Will we be saying the same thing about Brees in 3 years if we don't have another Lombardi trophy in our case?

I really don't understand the "well he has better players!" argument either, I mean I understand Welker (which was just a great signing by Elway anyways) but Thomas was just an extremely raw player with untapped potential when Peyton arrived, Decker was some mid round player who was coming off a good year but was never a "pro bowl" type player until you know who showed up(admittedly I really liked him coming out of Minnesota and would've loved it if he was drafted by the Saints). Who the hell was Julius Thomas before this year? And was Moreno not considered a bust before Peyton opened up some running lanes for him?

Point being, if you run good routes and can catch floaters right to your chest you're going to be a good receiver with Manning. I mean, who the hell is Blair White? Austin Collie? What ever happened to that guy?(concussions, but still). Stokley's career year when he had 10 TDs(what??) and 1000 yards was with Peyton. Sure he's had Wayne, Clark, and Harrison , but that doesn't take away from the fact that Peyton is the smartest QB to ever play the game and did nothing but help those players become what the're known for today.

Brees is a HOF QB and there's maybe only 2 other QB's I'd start a team with and that's Manning and maybe Brady(Belichick no doubt groomed this lanky 6th round 3rd string QB into a HOFer he is known as today). But I'm not going to sit here and hold a grudge and make excuses as to why he's the only player to throw for 55 TDs, 5477 yards and the other dozen records he's broken.
callmedaddy is offline  
Old 12-31-2013, 10:20 PM   #24
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Belle Chasse
Posts: 1,688
Re: Did Peyton really break Drew's record?

Originally Posted by callmedaddy View Post
If they would've overturned the call it would've still only been Brees's record on a technicality anyways, Peyton would've had an entire 2nd half to get it if it was called a run anyways.

How many people on this message board would be saying the same things they're saying if it was Brees in this situation? I'd say not too many. There'd be a whole lot of "He deserved it anyways and it doesn't even matter because he would've gotten it had he not been benched." People are still pretty angry over Drew's MVP snub and I understand that, but there's no need to hold a grudge over the man who clearly deserved this record with his play.

I also really don't understand the "he only has one ring!" argument either, does our very own Elite QB not only have 1 ring as well? In what, only 3 less years than Manning if you count Peyton's injury? Will we be saying the same thing about Brees in 3 years if we don't have another Lombardi trophy in our case?

I really don't understand the "well he has better players!" argument either, I mean I understand Welker (which was just a great signing by Elway anyways) but Thomas was just an extremely raw player with untapped potential when Peyton arrived, Decker was some mid round player who was coming off a good year but was never a "pro bowl" type player until you know who showed up(admittedly I really liked him coming out of Minnesota and would've loved it if he was drafted by the Saints). Who the hell was Julius Thomas before this year? And was Moreno not considered a bust before Peyton opened up some running lanes for him?

Point being, if you run good routes and can catch floaters right to your chest you're going to be a good receiver with Manning. I mean, who the hell is Blair White? Austin Collie? What ever happened to that guy?(concussions, but still). Stokley's career year when he had 10 TDs(what??) and 1000 yards was with Peyton. Sure he's had Wayne, Clark, and Harrison , but that doesn't take away from the fact that Peyton is the smartest QB to ever play the game and did nothing but help those players become what the're known for today.

Brees is a HOF QB and there's maybe only 2 other QB's I'd start a team with and that's Manning and maybe Brady(Belichick no doubt groomed this lanky 6th round 3rd string QB into a HOFer he is known as today). But I'm not going to sit here and hold a grudge and make excuses as to why he's the only player to throw for 55 TDs, 5477 yards and the other dozen records he's broken.
That's all beside the point. The FACT is he didn't break it. It's not about who held the record it's about historical accuracy. If the NFL doesn't correct this it means the records are a joke. You can just make up BS so the guy you want can hold whatever record they want him to. This is just one more blemish on the already tarnished shield. MLB has it's drug scandal and the NFL has Rodger Goodell.

Allowing Manning to hold record when everybody knows he didn't set is a disgrace.
WhoDat!656 likes this.
Boutte is offline  
Old 12-31-2013, 11:34 PM   #25
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 16,368
Blog Entries: 28
Re: Did Peyton really break Drew's record?

He broke it, watch the top-side view; the Manning hating is a bunch of BS...

And if we really want to get into what qualifies a Saints fan - it should be love for ALL the Mannings for what they've given and done for the Gulf South Community and the fact they're New Orleans bred!

And Bill Kuharich and Mike Ditka, where ever you are...

F*** You, You F***ING 'TARDS!

If you were going to tank the franchise, you could have at least made sure we had the top pick in the draft to get Manning!

There, Irrational Closet Rant Complete, Thank You for Coping - LOL

“Your best?!? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home (with) the prom queen.” - Sean Connery in The Rock

Last edited by jeanpierre; 12-31-2013 at 11:44 PM..
jeanpierre is offline  
Old 01-01-2014, 01:34 AM   #26
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Belle Chasse
Posts: 1,688
Re: Did Peyton really break Drew's record?

Just because I don't think he should be given a record he didn't accomplish doesn't make me a hater. I have nothing against Manning.
Boutte is offline  
Old 01-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #27
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 14
Re: Did Peyton really break Drew's record?

Originally Posted by Boutte View Post
That's all beside the point. The FACT is he didn't break it. It's not about who held the record it's about historical accuracy. If the NFL doesn't correct this it means the records are a joke. You can just make up BS so the guy you want can hold whatever record they want him to. This is just one more blemish on the already tarnished shield. MLB has it's drug scandal and the NFL has Rodger Goodell.

Allowing Manning to hold record when everybody knows he didn't set is a disgrace.
Originally Posted by Boutte View Post
Just because I don't think he should be given a record he didn't accomplish doesn't make me a hater. I have nothing against Manning.

That's all a matter of opinion, I personally think that he would've had a whole half to get the record if the refs didn't call it a pass on the field and if they overturned the 7 yard pass to a run I would've had to put an asterisk next to his record because it would only still be Brees's on a technicality. You're free to have you're own opinion about it, that's just how I feel.

And I didn't say everyone had something against manning, but obviously there are some people that do hold that grudge and will use it against him until the day he retires.
callmedaddy is offline  
Old 01-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #28
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: Did Peyton really break Drew's record?

Originally Posted by callmedaddy View Post
That's all a matter of opinion, I personally think that he would've had a whole half to get the record if the refs didn't call it a pass on the field and if they overturned the 7 yard pass to a run I would've had to put an asterisk next to his record because it would only still be Brees's on a technicality. You're free to have you're own opinion about it, that's just how I feel.



And I didn't say everyone had something against manning, but obviously there are some people that do hold that grudge and will use it against him until the day he retires.

You live in a world where only good "ifs" happen.

If it didn't happen, it didn't happen.

By your logic Graham should have the TE TD record. "If " Drew had thrown it to him two more times in the endzone instead of running the click out he would have has it.

If my aunt had ballz she would be my uncle. But she doesn't and I'm glad for it... Uncles Kneel and Bob wouldn't go over well for Christmas.
TheOak is offline  
Old 01-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #29
SaintsWillWin
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shreveport,Louisiana
Posts: 12,732
Re: Did Peyton really break Drew's record?

Originally Posted by callmedaddy View Post
That's all a matter of opinion, I personally think that he would've had a whole half to get the record if the refs didn't call it a pass on the field and if they overturned the 7 yard pass to a run I would've had to put an asterisk next to his record because it would only still be Brees's on a technicality. You're free to have you're own opinion about it, that's just how I feel.

And I didn't say everyone had something against manning, but obviously there are some people that do hold that grudge and will use it against him until the day he retires.
If you look at where the ball was when it was thrown and where it was when it was caught, it is obviously not a forward pass.

But since Peyton is the new Golden Child, the league won't correct it.
WhoDat!656 is offline  
Old 01-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #30
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 14
Re: Did Peyton really break Drew's record?

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
You live in a world where only good "ifs" happen.

If it didn't happen, it didn't happen.

By your logic Graham should have the TE TD record. "If " Drew had thrown it to him two more times in the endzone instead of running the click out he would have has it.

If my aunt had ballz she would be my uncle. But she doesn't and I'm glad for it... Uncles Kneel and Bob wouldn't go over well for Christmas.
I don't mind them taking the throw back one bit, from what I saw it wasn't a forward pass. But that's not going to change the fact for me(which is why it's an opinion) that Peyton deserved the record and there would be an asterisk by his yards.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I just think a refs **** up being the only reason Peyton didn't get the record kind of sucks.

Even then, I've only seen one angle where it didn't look like a forward pass, maybe the reviewers had a much better angle, I'm not sure. Someone previously stated at another angle it was a forward pass, so I'd also like to see that angle if anyone has a link.
callmedaddy is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/63273-did-peyton-really-break-drews-record.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Did Peyton really break Drew's record? This thread Refback 12-30-2013 01:14 PM 21


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts