Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Nick Toon works on receiving skills to score roster spot

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; I like Nick a lot, the criticism some people throw his way is ignorant and unfair. Kid looked outstanding in preseason two years in a row, is looking improved on that this year so far. But he had a couple ...

Like Tree11Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 04:08 PM   #21
Threaded by Jack Vegas
1000 Posts +
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,254

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

I like Nick a lot, the criticism some people throw his way is ignorant and unfair. Kid looked outstanding in preseason two years in a row, is looking improved on that this year so far. But he had a couple of bad plays in a game where nothing whatsoever was going right for the entire team, so we are just supposed to toss him out the window now.

All I can say, It's a good thing some of you aren't running the team. Keenan Lewis would've been cut last preseason and Cam Jordan would probably be getting his 13 sacks for the Texans or something because he didn't rack up double digits by his second year.

Originally Posted by TwistedTiger View Post
Exactly! I'm tired of hearing about how great he is in training camp. How about making a catch during the regular season.
As I recall he had a pretty big time catch against the Bears last year. Outleaped the corner to the sideline then held on after he got cracked by the safety. It was a long play too, 30 plus yards.

so that's one.
Views: 3346
Old 08-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #22
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 14,372
Re: Nick Toon works on receiving skills to score roster spot

We might go from a slightly below average wide receiving core to one of the top WR groups in the NFL. We're not going to have a problem getting separation this year.
billyt81 likes this.
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #23
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,481
Re: Nick Toon works on receiving skills to score roster spot

Originally Posted by Jack Vegas View Post
As I recall he had a pretty big time catch against the Bears last year. Outleaped the corner to the sideline then held on after he got cracked by the safety. It was a long play too, 30 plus yards.

so that's one.
That was a great catch and great play by him, unfortunately he dropped an easy TD on a uncontested pass 4 plays later on a slant route in the red zone

All our offense struggled vs the jets but he had the chance to give us the spark and he failed in a massive way - dropped a deep ball for a TD, tipped a couple passes in the air that got picked aswell

Like I said, I'd love for him to prove me and a lot of other people wrong with his play this year, but forgive us if we are a little apprehensive towards him at this moment

Your bonehead creator picked a fine chapter to omit from your memory bank....let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear? - Vegeta, DBZ
dizzle88 is offline  
Old 08-02-2014, 12:39 AM   #24
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,254
Re: Nick Toon works on receiving skills to score roster spot

Originally Posted by dizzle88 View Post
That was a great catch and great play by him, unfortunately he dropped an easy TD on a uncontested pass 4 plays later on a slant route in the red zone
I have the game saved on my computer. Your memory is wrong.

After the above play:

- 1st down threw to Meachem in the end zone, was interfered with but not called
- 2nd down about a 6 yard throw to Graham
-3rd down short throw to Sproles
-4th and short PT dives for a 1st
-1st down, throws to Still in far corner of end zone, broken up by #26
-2nd down, screen to PT, who runs it in for a 25-yard TD

He didn't drop any other pass in that game either, in fact that one play was the only time he was targeted.

I am not pointing this out to make you feel stupid, but a lot of times people will remember things in a way that fits into their pre-existing opinion. The reason I keep every game recorded is so I can go back and look at what actually happened instead of my own (or somebody else's) memory that may be clouded by flawed perceptions.
Jack Vegas is offline  
Old 08-02-2014, 03:37 AM   #25
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,481
Re: Nick Toon works on receiving skills to score roster spot

Originally Posted by Jack Vegas View Post
I have the game saved on my computer. Your memory is wrong.

After the above play:

- 1st down threw to Meachem in the end zone, was interfered with but not called
- 2nd down about a 6 yard throw to Graham
-3rd down short throw to Sproles
-4th and short PT dives for a 1st
-1st down, throws to Still in far corner of end zone, broken up by #26
-2nd down, screen to PT, who runs it in for a 25-yard TD

He didn't drop any other pass in that game either, in fact that one play was the only time he was targeted.

I am not pointing this out to make you feel stupid, but a lot of times people will remember things in a way that fits into their pre-existing opinion. The reason I keep every game recorded is so I can go back and look at what actually happened instead of my own (or somebody else's) memory that may be clouded by flawed perceptions.
Fair enough, I must have just got the game wrong but I can definitely remember him dropping an easy slant in the endzone

Like I said, I'll be the first person to admit I was wrong if he shows up in the regular season with consistent performances, until then however I am a little wary of getting on the nick toon bandwagon
dizzle88 is offline  
Old 08-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #26
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Haven Ct
Posts: 22,413
Re: Nick Toon works on receiving skills to score roster spot

You can't make the club if your butt is always in the tub. You can't make the club if you can't catch the ball.

Plain and simple.
QBREES9 is offline  
Old 08-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #27
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan by way of a little Mississippi River town in Louisiana
Posts: 4,256
Re: Nick Toon works on receiving skills to score roster spot

I really hope he stays healthy, untaped potential!!
halloween 65 is online now  
Old 08-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #28
500th Post
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mandeville
Posts: 786
Re: Nick Toon works on receiving skills to score roster spot

Originally Posted by Rugby Saint II View Post
We might go from a slightly below average wide receiving core to one of the top WR groups in the NFL. We're not going to have a problem getting separation this year.
This is spot on. I'll take it a step further though and claim that our WRs last year were one of the worst groups in the league. With Coston playing hurt and Stills in his rookie year, there was not much there. With Cooks, a healthy Colston, Stills year 2 and hopefully a healthy Morgan or a Toon putting it all together, maybe now the Saints do have a stellar WR core for once in Brees career.
billyt81 is offline  
Old 08-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #29
500th Post
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Broussard,La.
Posts: 959
Re: Nick Toon works on receiving skills to score roster spot

Originally Posted by billyt81 View Post
This is spot on. I'll take it a step further though and claim that our WRs last year were one of the worst groups in the league. With Coston playing hurt and Stills in his rookie year, there was not much there. With Cooks, a healthy Colston, Stills year 2 and hopefully a healthy Morgan or a Toon putting it all together, maybe now the Saints do have a stellar WR core for once in Brees career.
Thats great and all,but if our o line doesn't perform like they should, we aint got sh*t.
Mr.Riaton is offline  
Old 08-04-2014, 04:56 AM   #30
10,000+ Posts!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 10,397
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Nick Toon works on receiving skills to score roster spot

Originally Posted by papz View Post
Read more:
Danno likes this.
foreverfan is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/67095-nick-toon-works-receiving-skills-score-roster-spot.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Nick Toon works on receiving skills to score roster spot This thread Refback 07-29-2014 12:51 PM 4


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts