Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Just a thought regarding Sean Payton and the Defense

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; So, it seems like through 5 weeks of our teams play, Pete Carmichael has been calling the plays for the offense. In my opinion, with Pete Carmichael, our offense has a tendency to start fast and gain an early lead, ...

Like Tree11Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,461
Just a thought regarding Sean Payton and the Defense

So, it seems like through 5 weeks of our teams play, Pete Carmichael has been calling the plays for the offense.

In my opinion, with Pete Carmichael, our offense has a tendency to start fast and gain an early lead, then coming out in the 3rd quarter we get "three and out" syndrome. This means we put our D in a tough position, they start to allow big second half totals and our offense ends up playing catch up in the 4th quarter.
It's exactly what happened during Oakland, San Diego and Carolina.

Now, my main thought is - Has Sean Payton given exclusive rights to the offense to Pete Carmichael so he can keep his eye on the defense? Multiple ex-saints mentioned that Payton got far too involved in the D and changed what was working to suit himself.

I was all for getting rid of Rob Ryan, now I think that Sean Payton is really to blame for the defense.

Injuries have decimated our secondary, I will agree with that, but all those players are in the NFL for a reason.

Buffalo with Rob Ryan - 7th ranked scoring D with 17.2 points per game.

Saints D with Dennis Allen (Sean Payton) - 28th ranked scoring D with 33.6 points per game - Only because we have had our Bye Week, in total points we are 10 points away from last place, last place is Oakland who haven't had their Bye week yet!!!

I just think it's a little too coincidental that we had a very intimidating and aggressive D in 2013, then in 2014 when we sign players like Byrd it all falls off and multiple reports of Sean Payton getting too involved in the D come out.

Is Payton letting Carmichael call the plays so he can mess with the D? If he is it really needs to stop, Sean is an offensive genius and a defensive dunce.

Your bonehead creator picked a fine chapter to omit from your memory bank....let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear? - Vegeta, DBZ
dizzle88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
SaintsWillWin
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shreveport,Louisiana
Posts: 12,328
Re: Just a thought regarding Sean Payton and the Defense

The Saints also had a top ranked defense while Rex Ryan was with the Saints, as well as a couple historically bad defenses as well.
WhoDat!656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:29 PM   #3
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,461
Re: Just a thought regarding Sean Payton and the Defense

Also remember that reports came out that Payton was attempting to emulate Seattle's D, the main reason for the Byrd signing - to be our "Earl Thomas"

That was just before 2014, our D was incredible in 2013, then 2014 comes around the D has been changed and we are all of a sudden 32nd ranked again.

Add that to the fact that we drafted someone because he had the same build as Richard Sherman in Stanley Jean-Baptiste in the 2ND ROUND!!

I doubt he's even still in the league at this point....
dizzle88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9,097
Re: Just a thought regarding Sean Payton and the Defense

Originally Posted by dizzle88 View Post
Also remember that reports came out that Payton was attempting to emulate Seattle's D, the main reason for the Byrd signing - to be our "Earl Thomas"

That was just before 2014, our D was incredible in 2013, then 2014 comes around the D has been changed and we are all of a sudden 32nd ranked again.

Add that to the fact that we drafted someone because he had the same build as Richard Sherman in Stanley Jean-Baptiste in the 2ND ROUND!!

I doubt he's even still in the league at this point....
SJB was a rob pick, I don't know wpo the byrd pick was, maybe sp, not sure.

Have no idea if what rob said was true, there were absolutely no reports of sean getting involved with the d in 2014 until RR said it

Matter of fact just to show you, go google "Rob Ryan ready to get weird"
spkb25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #5
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,461
Re: Just a thought regarding Sean Payton and the Defense

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
SJB was a rob pick, I don't know wpo the byrd pick was, maybe sp, not sure.

Have no idea if what rob said was true, there were absolutely no reports of sean getting involved with the d in 2014 until RR said it

Matter of fact just to show you, go google "Rob Ryan ready to get weird"
This is speculation on my part, but maybe Rob trying to "get weird" would have worked if the reports are true about Payton changing the D.

Who knows, just seems a bit weird that Buffalo is playing lights out now and our D is just as bad as when Rob was here.
dizzle88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:02 AM   #6
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,959
Re: Just a thought regarding Sean Payton and the Defense

Well I heard Rex took over the playcalling after the jets game.
WillSaints81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:36 AM   #7
Mmm That Smell!
 
Join Date: Oct 1998
Location: Metairie Terrace
Posts: 2,536
Re: Just a thought regarding Sean Payton and the Defense

Rob inherited a pretty damn good defense.
Give him more than one third of a season to mess it up.
He will mess it up.
hagan714 and CharityMike like this.
RockyMountainSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:50 AM   #8
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Monroe, La
Posts: 1,394
Re: Just a thought regarding Sean Payton and the Defense

I like the defensive plan with Robertson & Stupar. The defensive plan seem to be working but those PI flags is what made this game closer. If they can't generate any sacks they need to install more blitz and DL stunts to disrupt the qb. BIG CLAPS OF THE HANDS for benching Laurinaitis, now just trade him or cut him when Breaux or Rankins return
nola_swammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:00 AM   #9
Mmm That Smell!
 
Join Date: Oct 1998
Location: Metairie Terrace
Posts: 2,536
Re: Just a thought regarding Sean Payton and the Defense

Originally Posted by nola_swammi View Post
I like the defensive plan with Robertson & Stupar. The defensive plan seem to be working but those PI flags is what made this game closer. If they can't generate any sacks they need to install more blitz and DL stunts to disrupt the qb. BIG CLAPS OF THE HANDS for benching Laurinaitis, now just trade him or cut him when Breaux or Rankins return
Agree on the PI calls.
Agree on the LB analysis.
Think DA is doing a lot with little.
The D hit Newton a lot early on.
Big hand claps here too for benching JL.
No one is trading for JL.
If the Saints cut another guy with dead money?
The amateur GMs will have pseudo heart failure and make life miserable for the rest of us.
Let him tutor the young dudes. He's getting paid anyway.
spkb25 and nola_swammi like this.
RockyMountainSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:43 AM   #10
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: D.C.
Posts: 3,205
Re: Just a thought regarding Sean Payton and the Defense

Originally Posted by WhoDat!656 View Post
The Saints also had a top ranked defense while Rex Ryan was with the Saints, as well as a couple historically bad defenses as well.
Is this a trick to see if were all awake, Rex Ryan was with the Saints.
spkb25 likes this.
RailBoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/80002-just-thought-regarding-sean-payton-defense.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Just a thought regarding Sean Payton and the Defense This thread Refback 10-18-2016 03:00 AM 1
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 10-17-2016 07:18 PM 5


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts