Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Mike Nolan intrigued by Stephone Anthony

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by Seer1 None of the ifs could come true until Vitt and McMahon we're sent packing. I remember Guido being right up there in the front row with me holding a torch and pitchfork. It's okay to be ...

Like Tree47Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2017, 07:48 AM   #31
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,549
Re: Mike Nolan intrigued by Stephone Anthony

Originally Posted by Seer1 View Post
None of the ifs could come true until Vitt and McMahon we're sent packing. I remember Guido being right up there in the front row with me holding a torch and pitchfork. It's okay to be hopeful even with those huge obstacles on the coaching staff.
Didn't we win a superbowl with Vitt on the staff? I am not a fan of either coach, but seriously, come on. We had the 4rth ranked D in the league with those guys.

I like the look of the team right now, but we are still a few pieces away. Our oline is really coming together though. Lattimore has potential to be a stud. I have never seen closing speed like that. We are getting there.
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #32
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 7,472
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Mike Nolan intrigued by Stephone Anthony

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
Didn't we win a superbowl with Vitt on the staff? I am not a fan of either coach, but seriously, come on. We had the 4rth ranked D in the league with those guys.
But remember Fujita, Shanle, Lofton and the great Jonathan Vilma were all veterans with 3+ years of NFL experience prior to NO. We have a new teacher in Nolan. Maybe Stephone will see and interpret things a little better in 2017. I'm sure Vitt is an awesome guy but he is no Nolan in terms of X's and O's at LB position. After the dust settles, lets see how this goes in 2017.

Change is good.
K Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:23 AM   #33
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,549
Re: Mike Nolan intrigued by Stephone Anthony

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
But remember Fujita, Shanle, Lofton and the great Jonathan Vilma were all veterans with 3+ years of NFL experience prior to NO. We have a new teacher in Nolan. Maybe Stephone will see and interpret things a little better in 2017. I'm sure Vitt is an awesome guy but he is no Nolan in terms of X's and O's at LB position. After the dust settles, lets see how this goes in 2017.

Change is good.
I am not a fan of either coach, but this is a load of bull**** that our 7-9 seasons (notice the plural there) have been due to those coaches. Bull****. It was because we had a lack of talent due to absolutely horrid drafting, terrible free agent acquisitions, and terrible cap management.

I think we will be better on defense this year, I mean christ it is hard not to be. That said, we have acquired more talent. To pretend that if we have an uptick in defense this year, say to 20th, is solely because of the new coaches is ludicrous. It isn't to say that won't have an impact, and you're right change is good, because it puts fire under people's asses sometimes.

We won a super bowl with those same coaches and there was a point in that season where both our starting CB's and one of our starting safeties were injured. 3/4 of our back end were out, we still won games. So give me a break.
turbo_dog likes this.

Big Hitter, the Lama.
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:26 AM   #34
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 5,510
Re: Mike Nolan intrigued by Stephone Anthony

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
I am not a fan of either coach, but this is a load of bull**** that our 7-9 seasons (notice the plural there) have been due to those coaches. Bull****. It was because we had a lack of talent due to absolutely horrid drafting, terrible free agent acquisitions, and terrible cap management.

I think we will be better on defense this year, I mean christ it is hard not to be. That said, we have acquired more talent. To pretend that if we have an uptick in defense this year, say to 20th, is solely because of the new coaches is ludicrous. It isn't to say that won't have an impact, and you're right change is good, because it puts fire under people's asses sometimes.

We won a super bowl with those same coaches and there was a point in that season where both our starting CB's and one of our starting safeties were injured. 3/4 of our back end were out, we still won games. So give me a break.
Why should we give you a break?
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #35
BS Since 2003!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Metairie, LA
Posts: 11,324
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Mike Nolan intrigued by Stephone Anthony

Originally Posted by ScottF View Post
2015 New Orleans Saints 16 112 70 42 1.0 0 5 1 0 5 5.0 5

Make Anthony Great Again
foreverfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #36
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Toilet of Idaho
Posts: 3,454
Re: Mike Nolan intrigued by Stephone Anthony

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
I am not a fan of either coach, but this is a load of bull**** that our 7-9 seasons (notice the plural there) have been due to those coaches. Bull****. It was because we had a lack of talent due to absolutely horrid drafting, terrible free agent acquisitions, and terrible cap management.

I think we will be better on defense this year, I mean christ it is hard not to be. That said, we have acquired more talent. To pretend that if we have an uptick in defense this year, say to 20th, is solely because of the new coaches is ludicrous. It isn't to say that won't have an impact, and you're right change is good, because it puts fire under people's asses sometimes.

We won a super bowl with those same coaches and there was a point in that season where both our starting CB's and one of our starting safeties were injured. 3/4 of our back end were out, we still won games. So give me a break.
Holy **** spkb. Someone get this guy a cup of coffee. He's pissed this morning! Lol.

Actually, you've got a great point. And I agree. The coaching changes are very, very important. They were necessary. But the new coaches have good talent this year to teach.

And yes, I agree that at least some of the reason we've been so bad the last few years is because of poor drafting, cap management and bad free agent acquisitions. Injuries and lack of quality depth also contributed. And I think the position coaching was also part of it. I think they were not trying as hard as they should've been. They got lazy and complacent.

Good morning everyone!!!
jnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #37
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 7,472
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Mike Nolan intrigued by Stephone Anthony

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
Bull****. It was because we had a lack of talent due to absolutely horrid drafting, terrible free agent acquisitions, and terrible cap management.
Just last year the Saints cornerback situation alone were like drummers from Spinal Tap. Freak injuries ...I can't put last year solely on coaches. The last two years drafting hasn't been horrid now has it? If you circle back to the 2009 SB season, that was a pretty healthy team as a whole. Saints are due some good "luck". Sean and co have already begun to weed out the weak.

Did you not like the 2016 or 2017 Saints draft class?
- Lattimore - best CB in the class, we were shocked he was still on board.
- Ramczyk - Ok we needed a T, maybe later in draft, but he was really high on our boards and hes there at 32 .. we grabbed him.
- Williams - Ball hawking safety we've been looking for since we lost sharper. I don't know to much about him but I can understand the pick.
.. etc, etc.

Since Sean has been here all I know is that we've had 5 playoff appearances, 2 NFC Championship appearances, and a SB ring in the mantle case. No matter what the Saints do, somebody is going to find something to complain about.

Calm down Spkb25, you've been on the war path lately .

" Focus, don't settle, don't waste time, don't be distracted. You have goals to accomplish". - Roman Harper.
K Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #38
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,017
Re: Mike Nolan intrigued by Stephone Anthony

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
Just last year the Saints cornerback situation alone were like drummers from Spinal Tap. Freak injuries ...I can't put last year solely on coaches. The last two years drafting hasn't been horrid now has it? If you circle back to the 2009 SB season, that was a pretty healthy team as a whole. Saints are due some good "luck". Sean and co have already begun to weed out the weak.

Did you not like the 2016 or 2017 Saints draft class?
- Lattimore - best CB in the class, we were shocked he was still on board.
- Ramczyk - Ok we needed a T, maybe later in draft, but he was really high on our boards and hes there at 32 .. we grabbed him.
- Williams - Ball hawking safety we've been looking for since we lost sharper. I don't know to much about him but I can understand the pick.
.. etc, etc.

Since Sean has been here all I know is that we've had 5 playoff appearances, 2 NFC Championship appearances, and a SB ring in the mantle case. No matter what the Saints do, somebody is going to find something to complain about.

Calm down Spkb25, you've been on the war path lately .
Not disagreeing with your point overall, but we lost Greer and Porter for half of the season in 2009, having to rely on Usama young, Randall Gay and Malcolm Jenkins.
spkb25 likes this.
dizzle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #39
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 5,510
Re: Mike Nolan intrigued by Stephone Anthony

Originally Posted by dizzle88 View Post
Not disagreeing with your point overall, but we lost Greer and Porter for half of the season in 2009, having to rely on Usama young, Randall Gay and Malcolm Jenkins.
That's better than what we had to play with last season. We also had Sharper back there making huge plays every game.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #40
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 4,373
Re: Mike Nolan intrigued by Stephone Anthony

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
It wasn't popular opinion around here three years ago when some of us questioned the effectiveness of Joe Vitt and Bill Johnson...

I'm sorry, but that's exactly what most of us have been saying here for years...

For example, I can't remember anyone heatedly defending Johnson's place in the staff over the past years.
FinSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/82755-mike-nolan-intrigued-stephone-anthony.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Mike Nolan intrigued by Stephone Anthony This thread Refback 05-15-2017 08:29 AM 3
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 05-15-2017 08:20 AM 15
The Latest NFL News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 05-15-2017 08:03 AM 1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts