Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by AsylumGuido There is a thing called "best practices" in medicine. Surgery is never the first option if any other option is available. Doing it any other way would be, in your own words, "playing games". I know ...

Like Tree5Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2017, 07:56 AM   #11
Threaded by spkb25
10000 POST CLUB
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,227

Show Printable Version Email this Page
Rating: (0 votes - average)

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
There is a thing called "best practices" in medicine. Surgery is never the first option if any other option is available. Doing it any other way would be, in your own words, "playing games". I know quite a bit about this. I hear about it every day. My wife is a long time malpractice claims adjuster representing half the hospitals and doctors in the state of Louisiana. Performing surgery without first eliminating other less invasive options would open up a can of malpractice worms. That is a fact.
No that is because most claims adjusters try and limit their cost so they always go with the conservative approach. Anyone who has been hurt on the job knows how those people work. The saints and Max do not have that issue.
Views: 864
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:56 AM   #12
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 5,182
Re: Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
Actually Asylum, Coach Payton and Unger have confirmed again recently to the media that it was a Lisfranc fracture; and I'd agree with the approach of rest for most humans.

However, Unger is not a normal human being; he's a professional athlete who will push his body, even during the offseason, to the limit...

His frame alone also carries a great deal of weight that most normal humans do not jave; for that reason alone, I'd reinforced the foot promptly so the everyday stress on that limb and it's joints would mend quickly, correctly...

Not just so he could continue his off-season regimen and playing, but so a lingering wound doesn't cause secondary issues in the ankle, knee, hip while compensating for the Lisfranc...

This is another questionable, wrong call by the Ochsner Sports Opinions that the Saints are currently aligned...
Note my previous post, JP. There really was no other choice than to hope it would heal on its own. That is "best practice" and is basically mandated due to risk of any surgery.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:00 AM   #13
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 5,182
Re: Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
No that is because most claims adjusters try and limit their cost so they always go with the conservative approach. Anyone who has been hurt on the job knows how those people work. The saints and Max do not have that issue.
No. Claims adjusters have nothing to do with it. It is the legal system. Doctors have to always attempt the less invasive option first or they are liable. The Saints, as a liable party, have to also abide by those practices.

Claim adjusters are only ever involved AFTER something has been done medically. They are NEVER involved with any ongoing case. You have no clue what you are talking about.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:13 AM   #14
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 5,182
Re: Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
The best practice is to fix it
The best practice is to let the body fix it itself, if possible. If that isn't possible then Surgery may become the next best option.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #15
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,227
Re: Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
No. Claims adjusters have nothing to do with it. It is the legal system. Doctors have to always attempt the less invasive option first or they are liable. The Saints, as a liable party, have to also abide by those practices.

Claim adjusters are only ever involved AFTER something has been done medically. They are NEVER involved with any ongoing case. You have no clue what you are talking about.
They're not liable if they explain your full options to you and risk, and then you sign with full knowledge. It has EVERYTHING to do with claims adjusters and saving money
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #16
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 5,182
Re: Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
They're not liable if they explain your full options to you and risk, and then you sign with full knowledge. It has EVERYTHING to do with claims adjusters and saving money
I worked for a medical claims company for 17.5 years. I know all about medical claims. That is different than malpractice claims. Completely different animals. Medical insurance and its claims are all about holding down costs and protecting the patient and/or employer. Malpractice insurance and its claims are all about protecting the hospital/doctor from lawsuits.

Surgery also opens up risk to things such as infection and nerve damage. No reputable surgeon would encourage surgery until all other options had been addressed. That is not how things work in the medical arena.

But, in Unger's case it was properly managed and surgery was done within a time frame that would return him to the field in time for the regular season.

AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #17
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 15,234
Re: Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
Actually Asylum, Coach Payton and Unger have confirmed again recently to the media that it was a Lisfranc fracture; and I'd agree with the approach of rest for most humans.

However, Unger is not a normal human being; he's a professional athlete who will push his body, even during the offseason, to the limit...

His frame alone also carries a great deal of weight that most normal humans do not jave; for that reason alone, I'd reinforced the foot promptly so the everyday stress on that limb and it's joints would mend quickly, correctly...

Not just so he could continue his off-season regimen and playing, but so a lingering wound doesn't cause secondary issues in the ankle, knee, hip while compensating for the Lisfranc...

This is another questionable, wrong call by the Ochsner Sports Opinions that the Saints are currently aligned...
I sold medical equipment to Ochsner. It was a nasty place with a bad reputation.
Rugby Saint II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #18
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,526
Re: Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

Won't play a game for the Saints this year and probably will have to retire. Foot surgeries on extremely large athletes does not usually work out well.
Cruize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:05 PM   #19
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 5,182
Re: Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

Originally Posted by Cruize View Post
Won't play a game for the Saints this year and probably will have to retire. Foot surgeries on extremely large athletes does not usually work out well.
Is that a fact? Have you got a crystal ball? And what evidence do you have to back up your claim of lack of success of Lisfranc surgeries on extremely large athletes? Medical journal study perhaps?
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #20
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 15,169
Blog Entries: 25
Re: Saints center Max Unger plans to be back as the starter for the season opener

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Note my previous post, JP. There really was no other choice than to hope it would heal on its own. That is "best practice" and is basically mandated due to risk of any surgery.
No, I understand your point, it's just with Unger's sheer size alone, the stress of being on the foot, just bearing that excess weight should've been factored...

Then there's the whole professional athlete training component (it's not like he's in sales, can sit at his desk and get the weight off his foot; and ride the cart for a few months when playing golf)...

I'd thought they'd been a little more assertive in getting ahead of his Lisfranc injury and stabilizing his arch was the point I was making...

Last edited by jeanpierre; 06-15-2017 at 08:36 PM..
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/83074-saints-center-max-unger-plans-back-starter-season-opener.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 06-14-2017 05:48 PM 3


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts