Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

What we learned from our loss on Thursday night

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by blackangold Itís on Brees not Payton. Payton didnít decide to throw that pick... Brees has a wide open check down and missed it. Fact is Brees is just average now, for what ever reason, the arm or ...

Like Tree69Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2017, 12:18 AM   #11
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 8,258
Blog Entries: 1
Re: What we learned from our loss on Thursday night

Originally Posted by blackangold View Post
Itís on Brees not Payton. Payton didnít decide to throw that pick... Brees has a wide open check down and missed it.

Fact is Brees is just average now, for what ever reason, the arm or his ticker isnít working as well... whatever it is heís just not the MVP type player anymore.

The MVP in this offense is Kamara and with him out we are An average offense.
You run the football. Atl was using up the timeouts & we had a couple in our back pocket. Saints were already in pretty "automatic" FG range to tie it up if running the football didn't work. Really no reason Brees should have even been forced into that situation.

I hadn't seen the final stat count but I'd be surprised if Ingram had more than 10 touches all game. This L was on Sean Payton.
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:21 AM   #12
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 71
Re: What we learned from our loss on Thursday night

Originally Posted by Halo View Post
Wrong. But you've been blaming Brees for 7 freaking years, even when the defense was dead last in the NFL and worst of all time.
We learned that we had to hear you say the same thing again.
He may have been wrong in the past, but please point out how he's wrong in this this instance....

That L goes to play calling and not letting Ingram just eat the clock.

Brees has been sub par at best for all but one half in the Redskins game. That's just based on what I see in his decision making and throws. That first half td to Tommy Lee was a friggin ugly Manningesque pass that was just lucky enough to work.

Something ain't right with the QB and it's multi faceted for him sadly enough. Love him but the game he's playing isn't up to his own standard that he's set over the last decade.
blackangold likes this.
cars4dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:25 AM   #13
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Monroe, La
Posts: 1,960
Re: What we learned from our loss on Thursday night

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
As bad as the officiating was, the L is on Sean Payton and his play calling. Just too damn "pass happy" for my taste.

All of a sudden, this team is beat up with injuries. Let's hope we get guys back healthy sooner than later.
The big IF

Win this game with a lot of time for our players recoupe from groins, concussion and other ailments, with the possibility of sitting a few for a playoff run. I WOULD REALLY LOVE TO KNOW WHO RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PLAY CALL IN THE REDZONE
nola_swammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:26 AM   #14
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 3,060
Re: What we learned from our loss on Thursday night

Originally Posted by blackangold View Post
Itís on Brees not Payton. Payton didnít decide to throw that pick... Brees has a wide open check down and missed it.

Fact is Brees is just average now, for what ever reason, the arm or his ticker isnít working as well... whatever it is heís just not the MVP type player anymore.

The MVP in this offense is Kamara and with him out we are An average offense.
First in the league in completion percentage
Third in the league in passing yards
Third in the league in passer rating
Fourth in the league in yards/att

Pretty good stats for "just average"
Utah_Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:29 AM   #15
Site Donor 2016
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 16,619
Blog Entries: 45
Re: What we learned from our loss on Thursday night

Originally Posted by cars4dylan View Post
Something ain't right with the QB and it's multi faceted for him sadly enough. Love him but the game he's playing isn't up to his own standard that he's set over the last decade.
That's because we hardly have any talent at WR. And we definitely don't have a Tight End who can catch the ball. Even Fleener, when he played, was average at catching at best. Sorry but these wide receivers simply don't get open.

Fortunately we found a running game and have an o-ilne that can run block. The o-line doesn't pass block so well.

You can blame Brees all you want, but sorry the Rams game was a team loss and so was tonight. Remember, the Falcons strong point this season is their defense.
saintfan and SmashMouth like this.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:31 AM   #16
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,452
Re: What we learned from our loss on Thursday night

Originally Posted by Halo View Post
Wrong. But you've been blaming Brees for 7 freaking years, even when the defense was dead last in the NFL and worst of all time.
We learned that we had to hear you say the same thing again.
Wrong that Brees didnít have an open check down? Wrong that Brees threw a pick into a crowd of defenders... oh no wait, those things actually happen. I guess Paytonís play call was specifically for Brees to throw the pick, wonder what the name of that play is...

Payton has never gotten off the hook from me, but this game wasnít in him as much. Brees held the ball too long all game and made some poor decisions to boot. Carmichael is still the better play caller.
blackangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:36 AM   #17
Site Donor 2016
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 16,619
Blog Entries: 45
Re: What we learned from our loss on Thursday night

Originally Posted by blackangold View Post
Wrong that Brees didn’t have an open check down? Wrong that Brees threw a pick into a crowd of defenders... oh no wait, those things actually happen. I guess Payton’s play call was specifically for Brees to throw the pick, wonder what the name of that play is...

Payton has never gotten off the hook from me, but this game wasn’t in him as much. Brees held the ball too long all game and made some poor decisions to boot. Carmichael is still the better play caller.
No the play was to throw directly to the Tight End in the end zone over the middle. The safety valve is to throw to the runningback if Brees had pressure.
We ran this play with Jimmy Graham for years. Problem is, we have no Jimmy Graham's anymore.

It's a stupid play call. Run some clock, run the ball, why call a play to throw into double coverage?
On the following drive SP runs out on the field and lost his cool with a ref after the fumble they recovered.
Sorry but SP lost his cool and his nerve tonight.

Like blackandgold.com on facebook follow us on Twitter
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:41 AM   #18
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,452
Re: What we learned from our loss on Thursday night

Originally Posted by Halo View Post
No the play was to throw directly to the Tight End in the end zone over the middle. The safety valve is to throw to the runningback if Brees had pressure.
We ran this play with Jimmy Graham for years. Problem is, we have no Jimmy Graham's anymore.

It's a stupid play call. Run some clock, run the ball, why call a play to throw into double coverage?
On the following drive SP runs out on the field and lost his cool with a ref after the fumble they recovered.
Sorry but SP lost his cool and his nerve tonight.
I agree Brees has no WR/TE weapons... hell Thomas is really only a possession guy, but Brees knows better than to throw that ball. You could tell by his expression that he knew it was on him.

Regardless, the better team lost tonight. It pisses me off because this basically ensures we wonít get a first round bye. Need to get healthy and weíll easily win the next 3 games.
blackangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:53 AM   #19
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Monroe, La
Posts: 1,960
Re: What we learned from our loss on Thursday night

No reason to say we don't have any wr when Thomas balled out with a TD. Ginn sacrifice his body for a catch, Lewis with a extra ballerina effort score a TD and Coleman with a clutch catch for 1st down. When the ball was delivered the wr aught the ball. Brees wasn't himself, not to say it's time to sit him, but he wasn't stepping up in the pocket and taking to much time diagnosing coverage or reacting to the coverages. With that being said I still feel comfortable with him as the starter. I just believe those interviews that mention the team don't have to rely him anymore effect him and the coaches
leilung and Thirty3 like this.
nola_swammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:33 AM   #20
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,921
Blog Entries: 3
Re: What we learned from our loss on Thursday night

I was at the game. From my perspective we played a solid game with exception of a few missed plays. Then the Brees INT which IMO was a bad throw.

Am I worried? No. We beat the Jets, Falcons and Bucs to end the season.
saintsfan1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2018 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts