Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
View Poll Results: Which of the following do you feel is more true?
WR's & TE's are more likely to have an effect on the success of the QB and the offense as a whole 5 29.41%
QB is more likely to have an effect on the success of the WR's & TE's 12 70.59%
Neither group has much effect upon the success of the other 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Saints WR's and TE's versus Saints QB's

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by AsylumGuido Read carefully. Of course both have an impact on the other. The whole question is which is MORE LIKELY to have an impact (negative or positive) on the other. I did read carefully, but if you ...

Like Tree16Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2021, 10:46 PM   #21
100th Post
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 213
Re: Saints WR's and TE's versus Saints QB's

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Read carefully. Of course both have an impact on the other. The whole question is which is MORE LIKELY to have an impact (negative or positive) on the other.
I did read carefully, but if you literally just want to know which is more likely, then Ďneither has a big effectí should not be an option either, because even if both effects were small, one would still be less small, unless they are exactly equal. And if they can be exactly equal, the effects could be equal and small which that option seems to imply could be roughly the case, or equal and large which my proposed option would imply could be roughly the case. There is no reason to say the difference can only be negligible if both effects are small, two large effects can have negligible differences too.

What I would say is

Passing yardage = pass throwing ability x pass catching ability. Passing touchdowns = pass throwing ability into the endzone x pass catching ability in the endzone. Receivers and qbs are both judged strongly by yardage and touchdowns, and both require a thrower and catcher to perform for either to gain the stat. In this case the effects are exactly equal, a x b = c, you canít say a or b affects c more, they both affect c a lot, but the same as eachother.

If we want to get down to meaningless technicalities, the qb may affect the receivers more than the receivers affect the qb because the receivers get 99.5% of their passes from the qb, all except trick plays. But the qb can throw to the running backs too, so the receivers and TE can only control the outcome of like 80% of his passes, but they do greatly affect the ability to spread out the defense for the other 20%, so perhaps the receivers affect the qb about 90% as much as the qb affects the receivers. But if we compare the ability of the qb to the ability of all eligible receivers including running backs, i think they affect eachother totally and equally, if one fails they both fail, and you need to study film to find the weak link because the result is the same either way, less passing offense. I dont think a great qb can make due with horrible receivers or great receivers can make due with a horrible qb, the best you can get combining great and horrible is mediocre overall results.
BakoSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:54 AM   #22
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 14,245
Re: Saints WR's and TE's versus Saints QB's

Originally Posted by BakoSaint View Post
I did read carefully, but if you literally just want to know which is more likely, then Ďneither has a big effectí should not be an option either, because even if both effects were small, one would still be less small, unless they are exactly equal. And if they can be exactly equal, the effects could be equal and small which that option seems to imply could be roughly the case, or equal and large which my proposed option would imply could be roughly the case. There is no reason to say the difference can only be negligible if both effects are small, two large effects can have negligible differences too.

What I would say is

Passing yardage = pass throwing ability x pass catching ability. Passing touchdowns = pass throwing ability into the endzone x pass catching ability in the endzone. Receivers and qbs are both judged strongly by yardage and touchdowns, and both require a thrower and catcher to perform for either to gain the stat. In this case the effects are exactly equal, a x b = c, you canít say a or b affects c more, they both affect c a lot, but the same as eachother.

If we want to get down to meaningless technicalities, the qb may affect the receivers more than the receivers affect the qb because the receivers get 99.5% of their passes from the qb, all except trick plays. But the qb can throw to the running backs too, so the receivers and TE can only control the outcome of like 80% of his passes, but they do greatly affect the ability to spread out the defense for the other 20%, so perhaps the receivers affect the qb about 90% as much as the qb affects the receivers. But if we compare the ability of the qb to the ability of all eligible receivers including running backs, i think they affect eachother totally and equally, if one fails they both fail, and you need to study film to find the weak link because the result is the same either way, less passing offense. I dont think a great qb can make due with horrible receivers or great receivers can make due with a horrible qb, the best you can get combining great and horrible is mediocre overall results.
I honestly didn't think anyone would say neither had an impact on the other. I included it for the heck of it. I never thought anyone would have an issue with it. Sorry.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 02:48 PM   #23
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,079
Re: Saints WR's and TE's versus Saints QB's

Brees made a lot of average guys look good. The problem is the Saints have backup talent at all of the positions mentioned.
Cruize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 02:49 PM   #24
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 20,461
Re: Saints WR's and TE's versus Saints QB's

For goodness sake ya'll. It's not rocket science. No one will catch a ball if no one throws it. Especially if they're crappy receivers. Notice that I did not say scrappy!
Boston Saint likes this.
Rugby Saint II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:16 PM   #25
Hu Dat!
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,656
Blog Entries: 7
Re: Saints WR's and TE's versus Saints QB's

Our next tight end? That size and athleticism! Kern got horse collared and it barely phased him! If he can block - and at this size, why couldn't he - hmmm.

neugey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:38 PM   #26
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,027
Re: Saints WR's and TE's versus Saints QB's

With the way the question is worded Itís hard to answer with one of the options. Teams have won and lost with great and subpar talent at all positions. Since most plays theoretically start with the QB getting the ball it seems logical to say he is the most important in the dynamic. Yet look back at Brees and his stats. Obviously he was a once in a lifetime talent when it comes to accuracy, but he was super accurate in percentage completion when he threw to Michael Thomas. much higher than he was to others receivers. This shows itís a two-way street.
Rugby Saint II likes this.

You think you know, but you donít know...and you never will! Coach Jim Mora
Boston Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #27
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 14,245
Re: Saints WR's and TE's versus Saints QB's

Originally Posted by Boston Saint View Post
With the way the question is worded Itís hard to answer with one of the options. Teams have won and lost with great and subpar talent at all positions. Since most plays theoretically start with the QB getting the ball it seems logical to say he is the most important in the dynamic. Yet look back at Brees and his stats. Obviously he was a once in a lifetime talent when it comes to accuracy, but he was super accurate in percentage completion when he threw to Michael Thomas. much higher than he was to others receivers. This shows itís a two-way street.
Geez. How much more simple can it be? There's no absolute answer. The question asks your opinion.

Which is MORE LIKELY to affect the success of the other in general. That's it. Easy peasy.

Come on, Boston. You can handle it. There's no wrong answer.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:49 PM   #28
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,027
Re: Saints WR's and TE's versus Saints QB's

Since a QB handles the ball most every offensive play Iíd say the QB is more impactful to a team.
Boston Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 08:01 PM   #29
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 14,245
Re: Saints WR's and TE's versus Saints QB's

Originally Posted by Boston Saint View Post
Since a QB handles the ball most every offensive play Iíd say the QB is more impactful to a team.
Of course QB's more impactful to the team, but more impactful to the success, good or bad, to the WR's, than the WR's are impactful to the success of the QB, good or bad? That is the crux of the question.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 08:31 PM   #30
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,027
Re: Saints WR's and TE's versus Saints QB's

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Of course QB's more impactful to the team, but more impactful to the success, good or bad, to the WR's, than the WR's are impactful to the success of the QB, good or bad? That is the crux of the question.
Itís one guy throwing and up to 5 guys receiving on any play. Obviously the QB has to handle the snap and throw at least a catchable ball. So he is more likely to dictate success.
Boston Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts